Do Not Call/mail/spam Info

Hi All,

Years ago, I put our address on the Do Not Mail list and the difference was enough for our postalperson to ask if I joined--she noticed!

Do Not Call List

donotcall.govor (888)382-1222 Call from the phone that you want to be put on the list!

Junk Mail

www.dmaconsumers.org/cgi/offmailinglist

It costs $5 to sign up online, and has fast results, but you can do so by letter or postcard for the cost of a stamp:

Mail Preference Service

Direct Marketing Association

PO Box 643

Carmel, NY 10512

Include your name, address and signature--takes 30-60 days to kick in

Spam

www.dmaconsumers.org

Get off List for preapproved credit card mailings

(888)5-OPTOUT

(note-if you change your mind you can call back anytime and 'opt back in')

PS- I did get some time to check the addresses--they look authentic-- and thanks, Handplane for the help on the links :)

Liz

Hi Nerelda,

Oh, I felt so bad when I read your post!!! The newspaper eluded everything was free. :angry: But I went through the sites and the junk mail site does charge $5 to sign up online, but it's free (well 37cents) to sign up by mail. We didn't have the idiot box when I signed up years ago, and just wrote them a note. The address is on the site and I'm going to add it to my original post. I don't get much spam but I looked up the spam site and it "looks" to be a freebie, y'all let me know if they do charge, ok? :) Thanks, Nerelda, for bringing that up!

Liz

Thanks for the info blim...

Along your subject topic...

Have you gotten the notice about adding cell phones to the Do Not Call list?

My partner got an office memo reminding him to add his cell phone number!

This one really crisps my cookies! We have to pay to say NO!

I think it should be free to add our information to thes "do not contact me" lists. Thankfully that's the case for the Do Not Call list.

I've been told by Verizon Wireless that they are not selling our phone numbers for these phone solicitors. So far, I haven't gotten any of those calls, but if I do, Verizon will be the first to get a very nasty call from me about it. :D

Read this on Cell Phones:

Cell Do Not Call Info

Barb

Clink on link above and scroll down until you see this:

Here's the truth:

A national directory will be compiled, but numbers will be included on an opt-in basis. If a cell phone subscriber does nothing, the number will not be listed. When the directory is ready, it will be available only as part of the existing 411 directory service, accessed by calling in and asking for a specific number. It will not be published in a book or on the Internet. And it will not be sold to telemarketers.

Cell phone subscribers can list their numbers on the do-not-call registry if they choose, but there is no deadline to get on the list, as the e-mail messages now circulating suggest

Hi Echobay,

I don't have a cellphone, but I think if you go to the do not call site, it's free....I think, anyway! I looked over the site and didn't see anything about charges. Years ago when I originally signed up, there was a mail option, but not anymore for the telemarketer site. I imagine that if you call from a cellphone (because they said to call from the phone that you want to register) it would cost minutes, wouldn't it? If it did cost minutes,(I'm a cheapskate) I'd definitely register online! ;)

When I heard of telemarketers calling cellphones, I was mad--because you do pay just to answer the d*mn phone!

What still fries me, though (and I suppose I should have put it in the original post, but had a kid breathing down my neck wanting her internet and I hurried) is that some organizations still can call--If I remember right, some nonprofits and small companies, like local realtors. But I learned if you just ask to be put on their "do not call" list when they do call, they are very nice about it!

Liz

Hey blim..

i'm feeling that internet sharing pain too...My youngest caught me playing the "frog game", so i had to give him a few shots at it.Then i tried to skim through the posts in speed mode cuz i had to pick up my daughter and her crew from a B-Ball game.

i'd just seen the "inter-office" cell phone memo my partner brought home, so your post really screamed out at me.

bar5...You hit the nail on the head. i bet one of the office clerks got that email and forwarded it on as a priority!

Nerelda...You did what i should have done, got it straight from the horses mouth! Hope they're not considering biting the hand that feeds them!

LOL blim... i caught your after thoughts about the calls we'll still receive...

i've given up on trying to get rid of junk calls and junk snail mail. i live with the kind of guy that provokes these types of calls.He enters every "free drawing" he sees at expos. Buys raffle tickets and buys TV gadgets.Especially loves to send away for the TV things that have a "Free Video".The non-profit and politician couldn't get thru if they wanted to.

Thanks for sharing all the info...Looks like you've all done your homework

i'll sure pass along the info !