Possible to Connect 2 external HDDs?

Heres a little quick theoretical question: This might get confusing but try and follow

I have 2 1TB external drives. Each external drive has a USB and an eSATA port. Now my new Dell XPS has 4 USB 3.0 slots and a USB2.0/eSATA combo port. I am trying to copy large amounts of data from one drive to the other. What I started to do was plug one external HDD in via eSATA and the other in USB 3.0( at 2.0 speeds however) and copy. But what happened is that i copied at USB speeds because one drive was eSATA and the other was USB.

Now my question is this: Is it possible for me to plug the 2 drives in together via eSATA directly...and initiate the copy from my PC? because since they both have eSATA AND USB i could plug eSATA directly too each of the drives, and then each USB in my computer. If i initiate the copy will it travel through the USB or the direct eSATA conection?

Hum...

Heres a little quick theoretical question: This might get confusing but try and follow

I have 2 1TB external drives. Each external drive has a USB and an eSATA port. Now my new Dell XPS has 4 USB 3.0 slots and a USB2.0/eSATA combo port. I am trying to copy large amounts of data from one drive to the other. What I started to do was plug one external HDD in via eSATA and the other in USB 3.0( at 2.0 speeds however) and copy. But what happened is that i copied at USB speeds because one drive was eSATA and the other was USB.

Now my question is this: Is it possible for me to plug the 2 drives in together via eSATA directly...and initiate the copy from my PC? because since they both have eSATA AND USB i could plug eSATA directly too each of the drives, and then each USB in my computer. If i initiate the copy will it travel through the USB or the direct eSATA conection?

Hum...

I'm not positive but even back in the 90's people would daisy chain Sata drives. I think it will work.