Gas Price Talk Radio

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Tenmm and Robroy! I'm leaning towards the 1995 Cavalier, too. I had a Cavalier Wagon and it was the easiest car to drive, it pretty much drove itself--and it had over 230,000 miles on it when the transmission died. And Tenmm, the cash idea is a good one--I was going to write a check and transfer the funds from Son's account, or get a cashiers check (he just has a savings acct), but cash is ...ahem...easier for the dealer to cover up.... ;)

Liz

defiantly cash, there's no record or trail so the dealer can pocket the money and not pay taxes. dealers turn into butter on the inside when they see cash like that in front of their faces. tenms suggestion of being quite and walking out at that last negotiation moment is perfect. out of those cars to pick from they are right. one suggestion i would make though is don't rush yourself when picking a car. take your time, remember if your going to spend that kinda of money try to find one that he will like for at least 3 years plus. i spent alot of money of money on my bronco to make it the way i wanted, very comfortable for me. cause i know that i would be happy to keep it for 10 - 15 years. i was going to talk about finding a car that meets your needs and also that he would fit his personality. but i just realized that all goes out the window with a kid. to quote some one, "zoom zoom zoom." good luck blim, you might need it. think of the kid only having $3,000 as a good thing, he can't afford the really dangerous cars.

"think of the kid only having $3,000 as a good thing, he can't afford the really dangerous cars."

EXACTLY ;) My sisters and a friend of mine think I'm just an awful mother for making the kids either borrow my car (with rules like curfews) or buy their own.

Hmm, lets see---3 nephews have had accidents, two of them totals, the other nephew (the one who only cracked up his Dad's 1970 Camaro's front end, not a total...I can hear the groans of pain now from you folks) he blew up his engine "drag racing", and my friend bought her son a 2000 Cadillac when he got his license. We'll see what happens with that kid, he's only been driving six months.....

Hmmm, Son did get a speeding ticket and yes, his engine is cooked, but it was a 1995 car with 180,000 miles on it.....

You're also so lucky that you can fix and customize your own vehicles!! Under the hood is more foriegn to me than computers! But computer shapes aren't black and greasy.....

And thank you for saying, "take your time" I agree with that, but Hubby is in such a darned hurry!! Probably because he still wants a truck (which we don't need!) :angry2: and doesn't feel justified getting that until the Saturn is replaced!!

Liz

:matrix: alright callers listen up, i got this message in my voice mail today. :matrix:

You're also so lucky that you can fix and customize your own vehicles!!  Under the hood is more foriegn to me than computers!  But computer shapes aren't black and greasy.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

neah. it's not hard or all that expensive at all. the huge custom car craze that's been going around are brainwashing people that's all. for one thing what i do isn't fancy spinner wheels or even a fancy paint job for that matter. for the most part it's just little things to make it more comfortable for me. most of the parts i get are from U Pull Junkyards cause it way way cheeper. Oooh and your can never underestimate the power of spray paint. here's a little tip for those of you who can't stay clean when working on your car and who want under your hood to look better. first of all clean under your hood, HEY don't moan so loud and i know that it's alot of work but it's goto be done. get your self some degreaser and scrub that engine area clean. sorry no easy way here but elbow grease and scrubbing bubbles. now once that horrifying experience is done. go get yourself some spray paint. yeah you herd me! i used that cheap 88 cent can stuff. i used flat black for all the black metal parts like the top of the wheel wells and gloss black for the hoses. don't paint the radiator hoses or any other hose that gets really really hot like that one. i painted the top front clip bar (the bar above the grill right in front of you. you'll have to do alot of masking off but it's worth it. just use wide masking tape or what ever. but i also painted the brackets up front gloss black and the alternator, power steering pump, ect., silver. all those cylinder things with belts going around the front. i painted the firewall, back wall, gloss white. now if at all possible remove something and paint it a contrasting color or just mask it off with tape.

as long as you got it good and clean the and you didn't paint and hot area the paint will stick pretty well and the shine is better than most cleaners and shiners and it will last longer and it's alot less messy when i work on the truck. i don't recommend this on newer vehicles.

i spent about 5 bucks and it now looks great. now if your guys are interested in more tricks like this just let me know. besides i'm completely out of gas mileage ideas. i tried to think of more but couldn't. :(

:matrix: ahhhwell that's it for the show for now. so until next time this is your host macmarauder signing out. :matrix:

Macmarauder, I LOVE Spray Paint!! I splurge for rustoleum, but I get the masking tape at the dollarstore....One of the neighbor kids had a grey (silver in carspeak, I guess) car and spraypainted the ugly spots on the outside. Gotta admit, it looked great, you couldn't tell unless you got up close to it.

Well, yesterday morning, Hubby woke me up (he's a third shifter) with kisses and a coffee in bed....You know what that means--

he brought the truck home for a "test drive". He was like a kid at Christmas, he had "that look" in his eyes and paced until I drank my second cup of coffee. And we now have a 1990 Chevy(?) Cheyenne truck (I remember Cheyenne, it says so on the dashboard)

Got to admit, other than needing exhaust work (it's loud) and new tires in the near future, it ran really well, as well as a new truck, and he even talked the carguy down to only $900.

Tenmm, I shoulda showed him your posts (Son loved them, though!!) But I'm going to "get" him anyways. In a couple of weeks, he is on vacation, and my sister and I already decided that we are going to load that thing up with horse manure for my garden, and guess who is going to unload it? Noooo, not me..... :D:D If he gets a truck, he needs to use it, right? :D

Liz

Oohhh, Blim. What a christening. Manure huh? Watch that horse manure, it has tons of weed seed in it.. If it's possible, mix it about 50-50 with nice green matter, like grass clippings and let it cook (compost) in a pile no smaller then 4' x 4' turn every two weeks. Even wet it down a bit if it's dry and full of sawdust.

I use straw to mulch my veggies, thick enough to keep the weeds back. In the fall I cover it with leaves I rake. Then in the spring I add a few bags of composted cow manure and turn it all under. No chemicals in my veggies, uh uh, nope.

BTW, put a birdbath on a corner of the garden, the feathered fellows will pay for their daily bath by eating bugs off the plants.

Yep, Bozodog, the manure will go right into the compost pile--I'm still pulling crabgrass out of the beds from applying the stuff directly last year!!

I'm an organic gardener, too--I like to "sample" the stuff right in the garden without washing it off :) and it's a "must" when the 4 and 5 year old neighbor girls "help wif me"!!

When we first moved here (gosh, 20 years ago!!), the garden dirt was the color of dust and the consistency of bricks, because the previous owner used chemicals and it looks so much better now, although I admit an occasional dose of miracle grow does wonders with the fussy plants....

What a great idea to put the birdbath in the garden!! I have the perfect corner for it, I'm moving mine, especially since something's eating the pepper leaves and it apparently likes soap water....

Hubby spent a couple of hours tinkering with his new toy--it kept him from napping on the couch, so I guess it was worth it!

Ugh, gas is $2.27 today--Holiday Weekend in a Tourist Trap!!

Liz

Reg,unleaded is under $2.20 this weekend around here. :wacko:

Will be headed south soon(mexico)got to wonder how much it will cost this time around :blink:

Blim

Sorry my idea did not slow him down ;)

Another idea to try,here there is a store where you can buy 0109222520DSBG2520Praying2520Mantis2520.jpg put a couple three or four in there and they will eat their weight in bugs

Not only that but watching them is relaxing to me. :matrix:

Tenmm, I love praying mantises, too!! It's kinda morbid, but fun to watch them stalk, grab and eat. We don't have stores that sell them up here, but when the kids walk down to the lake to go fishing, they bring them back for the garden--they catch a lot more mantises than fish :)

Lady bugs are the greatest! I came home from work one afternoon and saw aphids all over my tomatoe plants. Uh oh... time for a sudsy spray down, tomorrow. Heh heh, the next day the lady bugs had a BBQ party.... no aphids. And no damage to the plants. (I think my cat keeps the praying mantis away. Lots of meat there) There is also a resident toad that does a fine job of pest removal.

3 cent rise? Lucky!! Guess what? This morning, gas was $2.19--at noon-----(ready?).....$2.35, $2.43 for midgrade!! I about choked when I saw that. Glad Hubby filled the tank this morning at $2.19.

Liz