Gas Price Talk Radio

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wow, Guru, 250mph??? Gotta look at that link, if only I could afford one. And don't worry about anything being previously posted (don't think this one has, though). I for one have a memory of a squirrel (everything is new!!) and couldn't find a buried post anyways!!!

Liz

for the newcomers from G4. if you'd like to get some better gas mileage out of your car got back to the beginning of this thread and read on. trust me, we accumulated a very good collection of tricks for getting better gas mileage. for example i've got a a 86 ford bronco, carborated 351, that i've fine tuned to about 26 - 28 mpg. most of what i did is in here and one other thread. most of it is a combination of alot of little things and some that average person can't do but most you can. good luck. :)

Still $2.80 here. Does anyone even think about the hidden costs of expensive fuel? Like consumer products, f00d! Most of the US products are transported in trucks. The cost of distributing a product is wrapped into the wholesale/retail prices. Yes folks, we are not only hurting at the fuel pump in our cars and trucks. But in the grocery stores.... Trucking companies under contract has a "surcharge" built in if fuel costs go over a certain price. That cost is passed down to the consumer.

for the newcomers from G4. if you'd like to get some better gas mileage out of your car got back to the beginning of this thread and read on. trust me, we accumulated a very good collection of tricks for getting better gas mileage. for example i've got a a 86 ford bronco, carborated 351, that i've fine tuned to about 26 - 28 mpg. most of what i did is in here and one other thread. most of it is a combination of alot of little things and some that average person can't do but most you can. good luck. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's impossible! My Fuel Injected 351 only gets 12! You should go to www.fullsizebronco.com and tell those folks how you did it, because If you actually get 25mpg out of your bronco, you will be worshipped by all there....

But how did you do it? High gears, little tires, body mods? What?

i know that gas prices are not going to be the same across the nation or even down the street. but they are usually pretty close,

Gas prices have always varied by quite a bit across the nation. Each state has differing regulations regarding what constitutes 'acceptable' fuel. Gas in California will always be more expensive than it is in, say, South Carolina (Averaging around $2.10/gallon).

another thing i noticed is that all the arabian owned (no stereo typing intended) places have the lowest prices. do they have a good hook up for oil or what?

Oddly enough, the price of oil is largely irrelivent when it comes to the cost of gasoline. We long ago hit a production bottleneck, the high prices of gas are due to competition from other countries (China is a big one). We've never really faced any kind of competition where we weren't able to simply ramp up production. Unfortunately, we long ago hit the production capacity of our oil refineries.

why OOO why is gas price such a big deal here when most of the rest of the world is paying way more than us anyways? are we just spoiled? <_< come on you know it's true.

Yes, we're just spoiled. Most of Europe would be thrilled with $2.50 a gallon.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's impossible! My Fuel Injected 351 only gets 12! You should go to www.fullsizebronco.com and tell those folks how you did it, because If you actually get 25mpg out of your bronco, you will be worshipped by all there....

But how did you do it? High gears, little tires, body mods? What?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

besides using pretty much every singe little trick that i tell throughout this thread i'll try looking for the thread where i explain the heavy stuff, cause i don't want to type it all again. it's alot of engine modification. this so not stock that it's funny. also i've got so much invested i have to drive it for 20 years worth to get my moneys worth. if i can't i guess i can retype what i can remember of the top of my head but even then that's alot of work.

well i couldn't find it so i'll just type what i can remember of the top of my head.

first some more info on my truck. 1986(85 1/2 to be specific) Ford Bronco 351W HO motor (originally carberated since it's the 351W HO motor) wit C6 automatic trany, 650CFM carb which i rejeted down from 75 to 58, bump the timing just a little bit to let the engine breath a little better because of the altitude up here, shaved (to 2 full inches) ported, the scary spindle ported and polished the heads. different engine cam (i don't know what this one is called but it's like a retarded RV Cam), modified the intake, vauvles, lifters, you get the idea. a full engine rebuild were i specifically picked everything with gas mileage in mind. heck there is a little plastic piece that connects the throttle to the accelerator pump can give you better gas mileage. it determines the rate of how fast the accelerator pump kicks in and where the highs and lows are. the one that came with the bronco originally was abrupt and had the high sooner. i grounded the curve down nice and even like. now that gives you a much more smoother acceleration with no sudden boost pockets like with others. people don't realize how much of a difference in gas mileage you can get with simply using better tune-up parts like higher current plugwires, the right oil, the right plugs for that motor and such. also i can't stress enough of a difference you get when you take it to someone who knows that particular vehicle brand. ahhh the lost art of fine tuning. and i take proper care of it. heck for most people never check the gear fluid in their rear end and that in it's self will get you better MPG. i hand built 2 3/4 inch true dual exhaust, running only a muffler on each side. no cat or resonators. emissions here are different than in pueblo. my dad has a wearhouse (<-- spelling wrong???) in pueblo so i used that address to register the truck. wala far looser emission requirements for my truck. lets see what else. OOoo and you know how one of the hardest parts about working on those is that huge cluster of vacuum lines right in front of the air fuel mixture screws on the carb. well a ton of stuff on that thing is vacuum controlled and every time you get a vacuum leak the engine changes little by little. i actually spent the time to figure out what everything was really for. (even ford engineers wouldn't want to do that) i'd say about 85% of it was for emissions control and such useless stuff. so i got rid of it and routed a whole new vacuum system. ummm added a functional hood scoop, it's not a pretty one but this truck is ugly anyways. different gear ratio in the rear end. Ooo and btw one thing that drove me nuts when i dejeted the carb your engine runs hotter cause of the new air fuel mixture even after you try to compensate with the air fuel mixture setting on the carb. so you have to play with the engine cooling system, a lower temp thermostat will do it for most vehicle thought. i just dejeted it further than most can get away with is all.

i want to stop typing now, my hands hurt, but there's much more. my build sheet is practically a book. don't forget that i did all the other tricks that i've posted throughout this thread so i won't type all those again.

Edited by macmarauder
:blink: $2.92 near the interstate today! Wonder what kind of milage my lawnmower gets? Or would that be "hours per gallon"? And the string trimmer, chainsaw, tiller, chipper.... Daaaaang! Bad enough you have to add expensive oil to the 2 cycle engines but they sure go threw a tank fast...
Hey maurader, they're calling you out.

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47706

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

don't care. go through this thread and try some of the tricks i've posted towards the beginning and see for yourself. you've got to remember that i've spent more than what it's worth over the years on this thing and i can't even count the hours of labor. i plan of keeping this thing forever. tell them the same thing. they need to read through this thread to see what i've done over the years. especially the driving posts, and there's several links in here somewheres to even more info. i still think that the biggest difference is when emissions aren't a factor you can chunk alot of junk that just chokes the engine and robs you of a bunch of gas mileage. so go through the thread and try it for yourself.

Hey maurader, they're calling you out.

http://fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47706

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

don't care. go through this thread and try some of the tricks i've posted towards the beginning and see for yourself. you've got to remember that i've spent more than what it's worth over the years on this thing and i can't even count the hours of labor. i plan of keeping this thing forever. tell them the same thing. they need to read through this thread to see what i've done over the years. especially the driving posts, and there's several links in here somewheres to even more info. i still think that the biggest difference is when emissions aren't a factor you can chunk alot of junk that just chokes the engine and robs you of a bunch of gas mileage. so go through the thread and try it for yourself.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What I'm telling you is go there and persuade them you've done it. If you can prove it, you will be named king.

(plus it's a great site when you're a bronco owner.)

Hubby stopped for gas tonight, came home and growled "finally took a twenty to fill the tank" Our Subaru Justy has small tank about 9 gals total and he put in almost 8 gals at $2.65 a gallon. And still aways to go to get past the labor day weekend normal gouging raise in gas prices. Yikes. And our Motorhome vacation time coming up in Sept and Oct. Sure hope it comes down a bit by then.

Pat.

God bless everyone

Edited by thesidekickcat

$2.50 here, been that for 4 days in a row

Loved the Muddy Waters

How about some Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee

blues time

or a trck from John Fahey album the tTransmogrification of Blind Joe Death

Haven't heard that since album got ruined 20 years ago