Gas Price Talk Radio

I think it was $3.13 (wasn't paying attention to the sign) but I filled up today. 8.123 gallons for $25.50 of 93 Octane Premium. But the sweet part was the mileage. My last tank got me an Average of 32MPG. Holy crap, did the rotation and balance do that :blink: ? Awesome. It was all city with about an hour's worth of 75MPH interstate driving (over 4000RPM in this car). My last tank before that only averaged 26MPG.

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can see an alignment increasing mileage by correcting tire scrub, but a rotation & balance? That'd have to be some seriously out of balance tires (you wouldn't have been able to drive it).

You're getting older, that's it, you're driving like a grandma! :P

Prices here have been vacillating above and below three bucks per. Jumped up nearly ten cents yesterday. <_<

My mileage in snow is horrendous, but that's the price I pay for havin' fun!

Ha. Haha. :mellow: HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!! You don't see how I drive. I hit VTEC every time I head to work (VTEC Kicks in at 5700RPM) and usually redline at least 2nd gear (8000RPM). The rotation I think is what helped. I think my alignment was slightly fixed but it still pulls to the left some. I'm going next week or sometime up to Nashville to a TennSpeed friend's shop for a $50 alignment. I'll probably get even better mileage then. My dad thinks it was the interstate driving that helped it but first off. It was only about 45minutes to an hour's worth and my car turns over 4000RPM at 75MPH.

Edited by Honda_Boy

4krpm @ 75mph? Is that a car or a go-cart? :D

My last fill-up came out to 9mpg. Now, I had to let the truck idle for about an hour after I killed the battery from leavin the lights on. It should be back up to the usuall 12 for the next fillup ^_^

Edited by Bubba Bob
4krpm @ 75mph? Is that a car or a go-cart? :D

My last fill-up came out to 9mpg. Now, I had to let the truck idle for about an hour after I killed the battery from leavin the lights on. It should be back up to the usuall 12 for the next fillup ^_^

Fire at the Spring Tx Alon (Fina) Refinery yesterday. Look for them to use this as an excuse to raise prices again. I saw some stations post fifteen cent price jumps today as compared to last week.

http://newsvideo.blog.de/2008/02/18/alon_usa~3746572

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/6..._texas_two.html

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articl...NLINE000515.htm

Alon USA Energy Inc. said that an explosion and fire temporarily shut production at its 70000-barrel-a-day Texas refinery

Hmm, 42 gallons per barrel, that is 2,940,000 gallons per day less available capacity; sure to cause a shortage just like after the hurricanes.

Fire at the Spring Tx Alon (Fina) Refinery yesterday. Look for them to use this as an excuse to raise prices again. I saw some stations post fifteen cent price jumps today as compared to last week. ...

Now I know why the 20 cent jump 'round here (well, technically, the real reason is opportunism).

Oi, 3.33 for 93 octane. $29 for 8.6 gallons :( And to top it off, I got total crap gas mileage on the last tank. just barely 26MPG. I need to clean/replace the air filter. Also wouldn't hurt to replace a few other filters too. I'm thinkin of pitchin the AEM intake though. Nothing wrong with it, I just want a different one. I'm thinkin of gettin a Password JDM Carbon Fiber Power Chamber Intake. It's designed to get a good overall power increase but it gives a pretty good boost to low to mid range power (daily driving ranges) so it could help in fuel economy.

... I got total crap gas mileage on the last tank. just barely 26MPG. ...

Temps are going up and there's less snow so my mileage has risen to ... wait for it ... FOURTEEN! :D

Prices went back down ten cents so we're at ten over recent prices. I'm guessin' we're going to see a LOT of volatility in gasoline prices as a matter of course from now on. Not necessarily always higher, just up or down almost daily.

• 4 weeks later...

Filled up today. 93 Octane was friggin $3.49 a gallon. Thank goodness I only needed 8 gallons of gas. $28 it cost me today. And got a really pleasing 30.25 MPG on the last tank.

Oh, and 87 was $3.19, and 89 was $3.34.

Edited by Honda_Boy

Paid $3.58/gallon for Low test yesterday up here on the Georgetown Divide. Lowest price I saw today on the way to Sacramento was $3.49/gallon for same. News blurbs talk of $4.00/gallon next year ? More like next month! Heard tell of S.F. Bay Area residents already being extorted, I mean charged, at $4.00/gallon... But that may be just hearsay.

Oh, and thanks to all the corn farmers turning to "corn gas" production. Getting expensive to buy eggs and milk, et al; and talk of beef prices (now low) to skyrocket next year.

"Hold on to your hats... It's gonna be a bumpy ride!!!" - The Mask (and others).

I filled up the trucks. $3.39 for regular. $108.00 in the GMC and $88.00 in the new 2008 Ford F150. Just had to trade in the 2005 Ford due to the warranty coming to the end. The new F150 has the 300 hp. 5.4 L Triton. Finally the Ford can get out of it's own way, but at a cost in mileage, 13/17. Still getting 17-18 m.p.g. with the GMC loaded or unloaded.

• 1 month later...

I recently learned of a single station in the Dallas area which still sells 100% gasoline with no ethanol .

So I filled up there.

While I do not see the fantastic 30% increase in mileage I get if I fill up with the special gas they sell down by El Presidente's ranchero I do see a respectable 25% increase in mileage.

So at $3.50 a gallon , I see that as an effective savings of 87.5 cents a gallon (well actually they are one of the cheapest in the area coming in at $3.44 when everyone else is $3.50 or higher)

So my "effective" cost per gallon is is about $2.62 which while not as good as I would like is better than $3.50

Well worth the six mile drive , since I am looking at an extra 75-80 miles on a tank.

Thinking about it , even if most people do not see these fantastic improvements, I bet the average would be at least a 10% improvement in mileage , thus making up for the 10% decrease in supply if they removed ethanol from the mix. Then food costs would drop too as corn was used for food instead of gas.

So Fight High food and gas prices. Find a local supplier who still sells unadulterated gas and buy there. Boycot ethanol.

Straight gasoline would be illegal here. Ten percent ethanol is mandated by all our local governments to meet pollution standards (at least, they use ethanol to meet the standards, I don't know if there's some other way they could do it). :angry:

I didn't think about the better mileage we'd all be getting with straight gasoline ... grr. Can't complain TOO much since our air quality has greatly improved over the years since the mandate despite tremendous growth.

Regular's getting pretty close to the $4.00 mark ... it'll surely hit it this Summer. That's still half of what they pay in Europe so I guess we should count our "blessings."

$ 3.99.9 USD for low test seen at a Shell station today in nearby Placerville (near home close to HWY 50 - about halfway to Lake Tahoe from Sacramento). My March 21 post prediction pretty close (sigh).

My next prediction... $ 8.00 USD / gallon for low test in 2010.

Bring on them cheap electric cars !!! (Oh... and by the way, let's increase the supply of cheap electricity while we're at it... please!). My next fear is having electricity supplies getting into profiteers hands when electric cars become the norm. Infrastructure !!!

We just had a discussion on TennSpeed about electric cars and they ain't gonna be cheap at least not soon. Batteries for them are really expensive.

Can't remember exactly buy 93 Octane when I filled up a coupla days ago was about 3.93 or somewhere near it. I paid 32.25 for I think about 8.2 gallons. Pulled off 31.8MPG on average on the last tank. It's gettin better thank god.

I saw gas here in Barre VT at $3.77 for Regular Unleaded and $3.87 for the Super Unleaded. I WISH Bush would release a whole 70 Million Barrels a day from now til the end of the summer, and that way, gas would NOT be so high, because oil, last time I checked was about $123.00 a barrel, and it is expected to hit $200 a barrel soon.

Politics is what is keeping gas so high IMO, because if we did release reserves, the oil would not be so high, and gas would be back to $1.99 a gallon - we use so much foreign oil that it is rediculous - WE NEED to start finding ways to drop dependance on foreign oil, or we will be making OPEC rich as hell.

If we were to do this, the cost of food would drop too, which would help OUR economy, instead of the economy of the Middle East - Bush just doesn't want to do this

My .02

Brian

Here on the east coast in Connecticut is just unbelievable, $2.56 a gallon. :mellow:

That's the price of a gallon of skim milk, how much is a gallon of gasoline out your way? :lol:

Had a discussion with friends about how much more difficult and expensive it is to find, aquire, transport, refine, transport again then dispense gasoline compared to the production path for milk. You already know where the cows are (they're in the barn), a milking machine is basically a vacuum cleaner, you heat it, bottle it and ship it to the store (to oversimplify it). Compare that to the enormous expense of exploration, drilling, refining, transport, etc. for gas, yet both are pretty close in price. (And both get uneeded gub'ment subsidies of one kind or another.)

• 4 weeks later...

They had an article in the paper today that even after you do the Peso to Dollar conversion Regular Unleaded gas is over a dollar (looks more like $1.25 to me) cheaper across the border in Mexico and that lots of folks along the border in Texas , NewMexico , and Arizona are getting passports just so they can drive across the border and fill up.

http://math.ucr.edu/ftm/bajaPages/Recent.Prices.html

Magna (Gasoline) 6.71 pesos per liter $2.37US per gallon (approx.)

Premium (Gasoline) 8.31 pesos per liter $2.94US per gallon (approx.)

Diesel 5.67 pesos per liter $2.01US per gallon (approx.)

$2 diesel sends truckers across the border

http://www.fox6.com/mostpopular/story.aspx...1b-7987df65ea44

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&q=Ga...=4&ct=title