Gas Price Talk Radio

FOUR DAYS without power!?! You could look at it this way: the money you're spending on gas & ice, you're saving on electricity! (Silver lining and all that.) What 'broke' that they can't reroute the power?

I used to tell people who complained about the price of gas that they should consider themselves lucky, some countries pay four or five dollars a gallon. Umm, how long now before WE pay that much?

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

$2.93, Dan? OK, you're only a couple hours from me, what the heck?? Must be life in a tourist town that drives the prices up.

No silver lining, JDoors--our electric bill is usually $45 month, so $1.50 day. 4 days = $10+ for ice for the freezers, $9.00 for coffee for the thermos=$4.75 day, not counting the gas or the stuff we had to pitch out of the freezer, or when Hubby declared he was sick of grill food and sandwiches and ordered pizza (we have a gas stovebut without the exhaust fan, it would heat up an already hot house). I now realize electricty is cheap! :D

MY silver lining is city water and gas water heater--we could at least have a hot shower every day!

We lose power for days every time we have one of these "hurricanes"--the last "big poof" we were out for 6 days, but that was in spring so we didn't need as much ice and we didn't lose any frozen food. Still needed that coffee though! (and they say Aspirin is the wonder drug--ha!)

Liz

Was between 2.85 and 2.95 Monday when we were driving around town.

Started tentatively looking fro new car Monday, our little 35mpg Justy scared us this weekend by doing a short time overheating for some reason, so time to start looking for a car again. ugh I hate car shopping and especially pushy salesmen. Grrrr!!!! It has an oil leak from way back, plus a radiator leak too! But because of the design the whole engine has to be removed to fix both problems at a cost of about 3,000 dollars which is way to much for a "totaled" 1990 car with way over a hundred thousand miles on it. Anyhow hubby checked hoses, water/antifreeze coolant level etc, and found it low on water again, so added some and drove it around the block to shake it all up together. And then Monday test drove it again before we started out for the day, and it acted fine. Sometimes it gets a bubble of air and then forces fluid out wherever it is leaking. Wierd. Anyhow it has been fine all week with his long commute even in this high heat so far. But we know we need to get dependable wheels pretty soon. So went to look at Kia Rio5 but 06 ones in short supply with options we want, so will wait if possible until new models arrive in a couple of months to decide if that is what we want to get. We know people with Kia's who love their cars, so maybe will get that instead of our 4th Subaru in 36 years.

Liz, that is my worst nightmare of losing power to my 2 updright freezers!!! Did you lose all your frozen stuff? No dry ice places near you? I don't think any close ot us, and only one of my big freezes can operate off the motorhome generator. The other (newer) one needs to much start up power. Same with our side by side refrig/freezer too. Will your home owners insurance cover your loss of food? Of course putting in a claim could raise your rates next renewal as a downside issue. Wrapping blankets around a freezer supposedly will help them retain cold, never have had to try it though...of course not opening freezer and having them stuffed clear full helps too. But no power for 4 days is really pushing it to keep food frozen, especially in hot weather. Food can be used as long as it still has ice crystals in it. Barbecue party time to use up meat etc before it goes bad? No good options to solve it except a good generator and plenty of gas for it to be able to keep freezers going (coffee pot too!!!).

Ugg!!! Just checked the wunderground auto updated page, 104 degrees and still plenty of time to go higher. Sigh! Poor hubby to be driving home in an hour or so with no air conditioning!!! Glad we have the two bedroom air conditioners, plus ceiling and Vornado fans to funnel cooler air to rest of house, going strong as long as no power outages!!! Stay cool and safe folks.

Pat

God bless everyone

Liz, for coffee during "those" times, you ought to buy an old perk pot. Use it on your gas stove or grill. I've even done "camp coffee" by pouring the water through a funnel with a filter........

Lucky you with city water..... I'm on a well, and even with a gas water heater no showers around here. I'm also lucky because the neighbor on my south side is on a different grid so most times he has power for us to get water. This time he also loaned us a generator to get us through. But I waited over 12 hours to ask him and the power came back on a couple of hours later. Heh heh, go figure.

I keep about 2 1 gallon milk jugs filled with water on each shelf of my big freezer at all times. If the power goes out they last for several days and keep the food cold.

For emergency coffee making I put the coffee in a filter then use a rubber band to close it and drop it into a pan of boiling water on my gas stove or grill. Of course if I just need a quick caffeine fix I just make tea.

Regular unleaded is $3.03 at the cheap stations here. That is with a reduction of 4 percent county and 4 percent state tax per gallon passed at the beginning of July.

Well, here we go..... Why is gas cheap in countries where the masses can't afford cars?

Nation City Price in USD Regular/Gallon

Netherlands Amsterdam $6.48

Norway Oslo $6.27

Italy Milan $5.96

Denmark Copenhagen $5.93

Belgium Brussels $5.91

Sweden Stockholm $5.80

United Kingdom London $5.79

Germany Frankfurt $5.57

France Paris $5.54

Portugal Lisbon $5.35

Hungary Budapest $4.94

Luxembourg $4.82

Croatia Zagreb $4.81

Ireland Dublin $4.78

Switzerland Geneva $4.74

Spain Madrid $4.55

Japan Tokyo $4.24

Czech Republic Prague $4.19

Romania Bucharest $4.09

Andorra $4.08

Estonia Tallinn $3.62

Bulgaria Sofia $3.52

Brazil Brasilia $3.12

Cuba Havana $3.03

Taiwan Taipei $2.84

Lebanon Beirut $2.63

South Africa Johannesburg $2.62

Nicaragua Managua $2.61

Panama Panama City $2.19

Russia Moscow $2.10

Puerto Rico San Juan $1.74

Saudi Arabia Riyadh $0.91

Kuwait Kuwait City $0.78

Egypt Cairo $0.65

Nigeria Lagos $0.38

Venezuela Caracas $0.12

I was just running that phrase through my thoughts recently. Actually, I think about it every time I see another media story implying oil companies are ripping people off (RECORD PROFITS! Code for "greedy b*st*rds!).

Well no freakin' kidding. We have a tight supply (unrest in the Middle East, refusal to allow drilling here, refusal to allow more refineries), increased demand (here and elsewhere), so who in their right mind could possibly be surprised that the price goes up and they make more money?

Can't get enough, want more, charge more, reward with profit = Capitalism.

Few people complain when the opposite occurs: Too much available, few want it, prices plummet, only a few squeak out a profit (cheap PCs anyone?).

Or when it balances out: Right amount available, sufficient demand, reasonable prices, sufficient profit.

$$$ $ $$$$$ $$$ $$ $$$$$$$$$. $ $$ $$$ $$$$$ $$$ $$$ $$$ $$$$$ $$

$$$$ $ $$$$$. $$ $$$ $$ $$$ $$$$$. $$$ $$$ $$$$$$$$ $$$$$ $ $$$.

translation

Record-high oil prices might seem like bad news for the auto industry. But one European manufacturer plans to make a type of car unaffected by $50-a-barrel crude. It's safe, doesn't pollute, doesn't explode, it's not poisonous and it's not expensive and i know exactly where my source of fuel is. with the fart car i no longer rely on any giant coorperation..... well maybe the bean industy but still it's better.

http://www.prankplace.com/gascar.htm

• 4 weeks later...

$2.66 here yesterday, dropped from $2.76 the day before. Ten days ago it wes $3.00. Glad my little rice burner gets 38 mpg on the highway. 1993 Corolla with 230,000 miles. Had to put a new thermostat in this week

I was coming back from this Airboat ride, and I saw in downtown Miami that it was $3.45!!!

I couldn't belive people were actually filling up there, when about 3 blocks down there was a gas station with $2.96...haha

Wow! Nice

Well in Miami/Key West/Southern FL, there is a hurricane watch, so tons of people are lining up at the gas stations. On the news there was a line where people had to wait up to 90 min to fill up at a Costco...Crazyness!