Gas Price Talk Radio

Well, in anything but freezing weather, you can carry it in the car. During the winter, just keep in mind, it "will" freeze. I suppose you could warm it on the dash above the defroster.. Don't know how long it would take. Also keep in mind every gas station and "stop 'n rob" carries it. (even if they don't have a tire service) Except for the long, lonely interstates, you should be able to walk to the nearest place.

I dunno if you do, but get your tires rotated regular, and they will check for slow leaks like valves. And remember to check the pressures often, because a slow leak seldom shows up on a visual inspection. But when you find one tire low... have it looked at before it strands you.

• Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I personally would rather rely on calling a motor club and having a tow truck come out to either change the tire or tow it to where it can be fixed.

There are cars that come with the kits instead of a spare tire nowadays, but they are stored safely and are probably not prone to freezing (haven't owned such a car yet so I haven't read the manual concerning this, but I can't imagine the factory supplying a fix that only works in warm weather).

Oh, and just paid $2.11/G for a fill.

Yesterday when I went out to check black friday sales, I saw several places at $1.99. Probably a response to reports that the high price of gas was going to discourage holiday spending. The big oil companies do not want to be seen as spoiling Christmas (remember the trouble it caused Newt Gingrich the year the Gingrich stole Christmas - he got investigated by the press until they dug up enough dirt to oust him). Once the holidays are past, they will find a reason to raise prices again (those bad northerners are using to much heating oil , we absolutely have to raise the price of gas now).

I keep one of those rolling hydraulic scissor jacks (And a nice X shape lug wrench) in my truckbox, so I can pop it up to change a flat in under a minute. I also bought a real full size spare and altered the spare hanger to accommodate. Of course that is just precautionary . I would rather roll on on the rim to get to a parking lot (and of course pay to replace it) than to change a tire or wait for help on the side of a Dallas freeway. Around here, the imbeciles even run into the back of Police cars with flashing lights. Two deputies in the burn unit after their Crown Vic got rearended and exploded when they were working a traffic stop last night. Someone is going to have a pleasant holiday stay in the pokey.

"Around here, the imbeciles even run into the back of Police cars with flashing lights. Two deputies in the burn unit after their Crown Vic got rearended and exploded when they were working a traffic stop last night."

Pete, I am so sorry about the police deputies getting burned/injured by someone plowing into them. We will be praying for their full recovery.

Yes that is sure a danger for anyone along side of the road, even the police. Has happened here too. A recent Oregon law in effect now that says you have to move over to the next lane if multiple lanes, when you see an emergency vehicle at the side of the road, or slow down if single lane each way. Still don't see many people doing that, or even abiding by long time law to move over for emergency vehicles with lights/sirens on trying to get through traffic. Makes you wonder how selfish people can get to not be able to spare even a couple of minutes to move over for flashing lights/sirens.

Drive safe folks, the life you save may be your own. Buckle up too. Oh and lock doors to avoid the car jackers. One here in Metro area last night stole a SUV in a store parking lot with an 18 year old blind girl in back seat. Luckily she stayed calm, told the guy she was blind and please let her out. He did several blocks later but still stole the vehicle. She didn't know where she was dumped off, but someone there helped her locate her folks ok. Thank God she wasn't hurt.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

... A recent Oregon law in effect now that says you have to move over to the next lane if multiple lanes, when you see an emergency vehicle at the side of the road, or slow down if single lane each way. ...

I just found out that's the law in Illinois too. A friend told me about receiving a ticket for it just a few days ago.

I agree, Bozodog, and we even have construction zones with cops parked near the end of the zone! But you never see them pull anyone over.

By the way, gas went down to $1.99 today. Hooray!

Liz

They do that a lot here too, but the really do pull you over. It is illegal to give cops "Ticket Quotas" but they get points towards their performance evaluation based on the number and dollar value of tickets written. So if you want to get a promotion or make up for a goof or just not get canned as a slacker you have to write a bunch. The interesting thing is that they blatently target the offenders who appear to be able to pay; a new Cadiallac or Mercedes or a customized car with gold rims is much more likely to be pulled over than a clunker with rust holes . Not to say they won't go after those if nothing else is available, but that if they have a choice, the one who has the money to pay the fine is more likely.

Yeah, Pete. I noticed the "revenue taking" when we had a "click it, or ticket" campaign. One cop on the street spying out the unbuckled folks and 3 jurisdictions sitting on a side street ready to write. We had county, township, and even the dang campus cops pulling in $65 a pop.

I'm not so sure about the high priced cars though. Around here they are looking for the beaters. You know, the ones with warrents, suspended licenses, drunk, or transporting drugs. Seems they have the dogs out on traffic stops more and more.

I once saw a Pensky rental truck parked on a main street , with someone lying on top of it.

My curiosity was answered when a block further along, I saw a line of motorcycle officers hiding down an alley . The guy on the top of the truck had a radar gun and radio.

#@%$*%^$%@# Ok, so tell me. What does snow in the NE have to do with the price of gas/oil? It's winter!!!!! It's cold!!!! Gas just went up 28 cents a gal. in 4 days.... $1.99 to 2.27!!!

We're getting raped here folks, with sand in the vasaline.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering where everybody was. Prices have done their "going up but not as high as they were so maybe nobody will notice" act again.

======

Yeah, my local station just put in new pumps. Can I get a "Ka-Ching!" At least there's some benefit from their increased profits.

Side note: The pumps are gynormous. Short or handicapped people will NOT be able to use them, so they put up a sign saying to call the clerk for help. How about just buying shorter pumps?

Edited by JDoors
According to AAA Michigan, the average price for regular gas Thursday in the Ann Arbor area was $2.27 a gallon, compared to $1.76 a year ago. The price Thursday in Chicago was $2.17 a gallon, compared to $1.80 a year ago.

Read it and weep folks... I don't believe we'll see gas under $2 again....