Gas Price Talk Radio

Yeah, good luck. Maybe there's another contract coming soon.  Or at least you won't have that long distance commute.....

Filled up today At $2.59, $65 dang dollars for a 5 day holiday to the lake. And don't ya know I'll have to fill up again Monday...

Anyway, 4 nites and 5 days on beautiful Lake Michigan is worth it. At least we don't have to pay for acommidations....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Enjoy. At least as you say you don't have to pay a hotel bill, which would exceed the gas bill.

This is the prettiest time of the year. October is my favorite month. Warm days, cool nights, and the leaves turning colors. Than being on the water to boot, can't ask for more. Ya, it's worth it.

Barb :D

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 824
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I saw the wholesale price is $1.46 a gallon on the futures market this morning on whatever the financial news network is (Cable 41 here in Dallas, probably CNN Financial) so I guess the rest is Tax and profit. Gonna fill up this afternoon, looks like $2.01-04 is my target range. I paid $2.09 last time I filled up.

I saw the wholesale price is $1.46 a gallon on the futures market this morning on whatever the financial news network is (Cable 41 here in Dallas, probably CNN Financial) so I guess the rest is Tax and profit. Gonna fill up this afternoon, looks like $2.01-04 is my target range. I paid $2.09 last time I filled up.

Guess that says it all. About 30% markup at the pump, much of it taxes. That doesn't reflect the refiners profit though.

I haven't been by any gas stations for about a week, lowest I saw then was $2.39.

We'll travel cross town tomorrow for dinner, so will try to remember to check the station signs.

The news today quoted someone who said it could drop a nickle by end of the weekend. Now if they do what is normal gas price routine for holidays, raise it a dime or more, then dropping it a nickle doesn't quite do it..but maybe they are doing better by us this year?

I just want to tell folks about something that happened last night to my hubby as he was ready to leave the Intel Ronlier Acres campus in Hillsboro after work. Found he had a flat tire, and wasn't looking forward to changing the tire to the wimpy spare that passes for a tire that cars have nowadays, and a man showed up with a can of something to fix the flat. WoW! He said he had never used it but wanted to see if it worked, so he put it in tire, and it worked!!! Then my hubby thanked him and tried to pay him for it, and he wouldn't let him. What a blessing he was! I don't know if my hubby told him or not, but he's been having a real painful neck and shoulder with limited range of motion for awhile lately. So he was not looking forward to tire changing at all. Anyhow it was hurting him so badly on Monday evening that we went to Kaiser urgent care and the xrays show quite a bit of arthritis stuff to neck/collarbone/shoulder. Got some temp pills to help with inflamation, and pain. So what a blessing that man was to help him with tire the next night. So hubby went over to the nearby Les Schwab tire chain (NW) and they checked tire out thoroughly (at closing time too), and found it was the valve stem, so they replaced valve stem...for free!!! WoW!!! So what a blessing all that was for hubby. Definitely will be getting some of that canned 'fix a flat' stuff for emergencies, and of course will be helping others when we see them in need.

Happy Thanksgiving, drive safe, don't eat to much, and bring back the leftovers for us all.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Canned "fix-a-flat" is great stuff. BUT! Those of us in freezing climates can't keep it in the car. The dang stuff freezes.

But God bless that man. Little does he know how far his act of kindness has traveled. And how many blessings he will receive.

Oh, and a bit of a rant:

Why the heck have they decided to use the stupid "scissors jacks" in cars now? Like I just love to get on my hands and knees, wallowing the mud and slush, with my behind hanging out in traffic to find the jack spot and crank the dumb thing up.

And a good trick:

Make sure your tire service folks use "anti-seize" on the lugs when you have tires replaced or rotated. Makes getting the nuts off a 1000 times easier when needed.

<snip> Found he had a flat tire, and wasn't looking forward to changing the tire to the wimpy spare that passes for a tire that cars have nowadays, and a man showed up with a can of something to fix the flat. WoW! He said he had never used it but wanted to see if it worked, so he put it in tire, and it worked!!! Then my hubby thanked him and tried to pay him for it, and he wouldn't let him. What a blessing he was! I don't know if my hubby told him or not, but he's been having a real painful neck and shoulder with limited range of motion for awhile lately. So he was not looking forward to tire changing at all. Anyhow it was hurting him so badly on Monday evening that we went to Kaiser urgent care and the xrays show quite a bit of arthritis stuff to neck/collarbone/shoulder.<snip>

Do not overlook that the Fix a Flat is designed to be a temporary fix at best. It contains propane as a propellant and a liquid rubber compound which solidifies on contact with oxygen. It is not strong enough to make a permanent patch, only to seal around a nail or similar long enough for you to get it properly patched. Make sure to warn the repair shop that you used fix a flat so they make sure the employee who lets out the air is not smoking (propane has a nasty habit of exploding when it comes in contact with a hot cigarette or source of open flame).

Sorry to hear about the arthritis, but it sounds similar to what I have experienced. I thought I was having heart problems due to frequent severe chest pains which got worse if I bent forward. I was sure it was angina and a clogged artery or pulmonery embolism. After a thousand dollars of tests (chest xrays, ultrasonic imaging, doppler imaging, stress and treadmill tests, ekg etc) they concluded I had nothing wrong with my heart or lungs. In fact, they concluded that the previous doctor who had told me that it was GERD (Gastric Esophogeal Reflux Disease) and prescribed daily prilosec was wrong , no stomach problems. It turns out I had bursitis caused by always sleeping on my left side. The doctor told me to try sleeping on my right side instead and schedule a followup only if that did not cure my problem. Sure enough, all I had to do was change to sleeping on my right side and no more pain.

<snip> Found he had a flat tire, and wasn't looking forward to changing the tire to the wimpy spare that passes for a tire that cars have nowadays, and a man showed up with a can of something to fix the flat. WoW! He said he had never used it but wanted to see if it worked, so he put it in tire, and it worked!!! Then my hubby thanked him and tried to pay him for it, and he wouldn't let him. What a blessing he was! I don't know if my hubby told him or not, but he's been having a real painful neck and shoulder with limited range of motion for awhile lately. So he was not looking forward to tire changing at all. Anyhow it was hurting him so badly on Monday evening that we went to Kaiser urgent care and the xrays show quite a bit of arthritis stuff to neck/collarbone/shoulder.<snip>

Do not overlook that the Fix a Flat is designed to be a temporary fix at best. It contains propane as a propellant and a liquid rubber compound which solidifies on contact with oxygen. It is not strong enough to make a permanent patch, only to seal around a nail or similar long enough for you to get it properly patched. Make sure to warn the repair shop that you used fix a flat so they make sure the employee who lets out the air is not smoking (propane has a nasty habit of exploding when it comes in contact with a hot cigarette or source of open flame).

yes exactly, also one time i used fix a flat and i thought that i could just use it until the tire goes flat again and then just patch it from the inside. some of the fix a flat stuff will slowly erode the rubber tire from the inside. so don't let it sit for too long and get it fixed soon or get a whole new tire.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Hubby did know to tell tire people what had been used so they would be safe, and did go directly to a nearby tire shop (right at closing time) to check out the tire and it was the tire valve stem which they replaced free. He had put air in all the tires the day before, didn't notice any particular problems then. Tire shop said tires are good still for about another year or so, then if the car is still running ok we will see about getting new tires, but other than needing to add a quart a month or so of oil, the little Justy just keeps on going. Still getting about 35 mpg, even if it is 15 years old with 136, 000 miles on it. :thumbsup:

And the Lord protected him to in that it didn't go flat on the long 25 or so mile commute to work that day, or on the long narrow winding road with very little place to pull over to the side of road over the West Hills coming home. Thank God. That would have been so dangerous, no street lights up there either. Sp glad it happened in the Intel parking lot before he started home!!!

So lots of provision for all his needs. Praise God.

Thanks BD for info on the flat fixing stuff freezing if left in car in cold temps, and on the anti-seize stuff for lug nuts, hubby amened that one too...we do get down to the teens or 20s at times. Already had quite a few nights in the high 20s low 30s. More to come with the incoming storms the next few days. Have had gorgeous sunny high 40s or low 50s weather after the fog burns off every day (even better at the coast with high 50s or better) for last couple of weeks. Nice break from all the rains we had had. But back to normal rains starting today sometime now the high pressure has finally moved off the coast, so all the storms on the Pacific will be tracking right on in.

But the good news is that ends the air stagnation pollution problems we've had, some days I choked up just reaching out the door for my morning newspaper, but it has been better last few days with the east winds coming down the Columbia River gorge pushing the bad air out of here. The Willamette River valley with Portland at the north end of it, is second worst in the country for temp inversions trapping air here between the Cascades to the east, and the Coastal range to the west. And when it does happen it really gets polluted fast. I think Bozeman Montana might be the #1 worst for that, with us #2.

Sure glad it wasn't your heart or reflux disease either Pete, but oh doesn't it make you mad when you are misdiagnosed and treated for the wrong thing? Ugh! Expensive tests, and no one wants to take unnecessary medicine for sure!

Luckily we got a very good urgent care Dr, who took the time to really examine him, and ordered the right Xrays based on his checking hubby's arm strength doing various moves and ability to do those moves or lack thereof and when pain kicked in, range of motion of arms and neck, and a good history taking. Xrays showed lots of calcified/arthritic spurs and some disk damage. To top it off, the Dr had had similar problems years ago, and had had neck surgery to fix a blown out disk. So lots of first hand knowledge there. And he taught us some range of motion exercises, that not only did things the way Physical Therapy taught us (individually) over the years of the hand push on front, side and back of head,, but he taught us to do the counter push with other hand too to strengthen and stretch the ligaments and muscles to help us before it gets a lot worse. So that was another blessing to us too. (along with getting in there in a slow spell for them, so didn't have long to wait to be seen).

So we have a lot to be thankful as always, plus all the other good things God has done for us, and is doing for us all the time. Praise God for everything.

Edit for correcting some mistakes and to add this:

Got back home after a great dinner at Home Buffet. Sure nice to have them do all the cooking, and the dishes! Only problem with eating out is no leftovers!!! But we sure had a good dinner, and came home feeling stuffed like a turkey! :rolleyes:

Home Buffet

Checked out the gas prices on the way over...quite a few were $2.15 to $2.20 but across town, alot were in the next bracket of $2.20 to $2.30. So a real mix. But at least it is coming down to bearable again. Still away to go to get back to where it had been before it started going up in first place.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat

I waited to see if someone else would mention another precaution about fix-a-flat: It's a pressurized can of flammable gas. You do NOT want to keep it in the glovebox (as someone stated). Tuck it safely away in the trunk. The cans have been known to pop just from excessive heat, so if that happens, better in the trunk than the interior of the car.

Edited by JDoors

I have noticed there is a brand or two out there that states they are non-flamable. Don't know since the few times I used it...I was sure to warn the serviceman about the stuff. Jeesch do they hate messing with the stuff. The inside of the tire is all wet and sticky... Yukkk!

I waited to see if someone else would mention another precaution about fix-a-flat: It's a pressurized can of flammable gas. You do NOT want to keep it in the glovebox (as someone stated). Tuck it safely away in the trunk. The cans have been known to pop just from excessive heat, so if that happens, better in the trunk than the interior of the car.

just to elaborate and emphasize on what JDoors said. DO NOT PLACE FIX-A-FLAT IN THE MICROWAVE AND HEAT! it has been known to release demons and or a portal to the 5th ring of HELL.

That was me who mentioned the glove box and thanks for the warnings against it! With the freezing weather in my area, the trunk won't be a good solution, either, but I'll get a can for the house anyways :thumbsup:

No microwaving? Darn

Liz

I carried a can of Fix-A-Flat in my glove box for three years without a problem. I quit carrying that crap after changing someones tires on their rims. It is horrible to work with when changing tires over and yes it is prone to exploding near a open flame. If you want to see a real poof just use starter fliud to get a new tire to seal against the rim (DO NOT try this at home kids). I had a tire that wouldn't catch and sprayed that stuff into it then threw a match. BOOM! Tire ready for inflation.

So the good news is the stuff works, the bad news is it is unsafe in microwaves, glove compartments, and ice palaces, and hated by tire repair people and moles, but is a good bbq fire starter if you like rubberized chicken. Mac are you sure I couldn't take a frozen can of the stuff and just warm it up in the microwave for a few minutes? :rolleyes:

Do not ever do any of these things kids!!!

Seriously, it does seem to have it's drawbacks, so how do you safely have it on hand for an emergency...like we are now in our early 60's, and affected with whatever that old age common memory problem is that I can't remember the name of that starts with c, or was it s? So the likelihood of us remembering to carry it in and out of the car/house/store/work etc every trip is not going to be good. :rolleyes:

So don't bother with it, or ??? I am confused here. Nothing new about that really, just different subject matter than my usual matters of confusion. :rolleyes:

Pat.

God bless everyone.