Firefox Temporary Folder?

Hey folks

Just wondering.. I am wanting to remove my internet history and I deleted cache and cookies, cleared history; but is there anything else I need to do? Is there a firefox temporary internet folder somewhere that could be holding *files* that need to be cleared? Anything else I need to do?

Matt

click on tools/ options/ privacy that will give you the option to clear ff cache, cookies, history etc. FF keeps them in Documents and settings/ user / application data / Mozilla / firefox / profile / cache

where user is whatever name you use signing on to your comp

If I'm not mistaken, Firefox uses Window's temp folder, for any temp files.

I know it does for any temp video downloads.

So, I can just 'delete files' (which I'm pretty sure clears the temp folder) under IE's internet options, and it will clear that folder?

click on tools/ options/ privacy that will give you the option to clear ff cache, cookies, history etc. FF keeps them in Documents and settings/ user / application data / Mozilla / firefox / profile / cache

where user is whatever name you use signing on to your comp

I navigated to my username in explorer, but could not locate the application data folder. any suggestions?

Also.. are there any index.dat files I need to get rid of?

Thanks

Matt

I navigated to my username in explorer, but could not locate the application data folder. any suggestions?

Yeah, unhide the folder in folder options...it's hidden.

BTW, I use the "X 0.6.3" firefox extension and that makes clearing privacy information easier than opening preferences every time and seems to do the job well and doesn't leave anything behind (that I'm aware of)

I don't think it is available at the default extension source but can be found here....you can also get the xmirror extension if you want to add that site to a drop-down menu for extension sources.

Oh, and I don't believe there are any index.dat files to get rid of

and a quick tip: if you do install X, you might wonder where the hell it is...r-click an empty area of the menu bar>customize>find the red X and drag it to where you want it ;)

Like so:

snapshot3.png

ok, ty toc.. I got to the folder.. is it ok to delete everything in it? also, I saw no files (cept .lpk or sumthing) in the temp folder. Shouldn't there be *stuff* I might wunna get rid of in there? I saw no video files or anything...

Matt

btw t0c, nah, I don't think ill get that extension, but ty anyway

is it ok to delete everything in it? also, I saw no files (cept .lpk or sumthing) in the temp folder. Shouldn't there be *stuff* I might wunna get rid of in there? I saw no video files or anything...

All I found on .lpk was that it's an activex license package file...I would assume it's safe to trash it since it would be redownloaded anyway if needed.....I was under the assumption that FF didn't use activex anyway, hence less vulnerable than IE.

I don't know why your folder would be empty if you knew you had been bouncing around the net for a while.

Since you don't have these I think this is just a linux thing, but, when I checked my cache folder after using X, it did leave behind a few text files (_CACHE_MAP_, _CACHE_001_, _CACHE_002_), I bet something wouldn't work right if I trashed them.

Well, I searched my machine, hidden folders and all, for any .mpg file (using the stupid MS search util) and I didn't find anything unwanted. Is it safe to assume that there, infact, is nothing here that I would want removed?

Matt

Try searching for folders named firefox then check subfolders for one called cache.

It depends on how you were logged in when you installed ff, if logged in as admin then the folder will be under admin

Well I'm still not finding anything out of the ordinary. I did clear history, cache, etc in the options menu, so would it be right to assume thats all that needs to be done? Thanks for the help everyone

Matt

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

hello guys

I have used three tools for erasing cookies, Address bar History, temp folder of FireFox etc.

CCleaner

Advanced System Optimizer - Privacy Protector

Advace System Care

I like Advanced System Optimizer - Privacy Protector for its user friendly UI and many other tools which i need.

this will also help to erasing Safari and Google Chrome

good luck