so you can imagine

the children that came about

my country was made up of scotch and irish

so i have scotch irish and maori in me

my grand mother came from lancishire .

in the north of england.

so by rights im a real mongrel.

but proud of it.

i think americans are cosmopolitian to arnt they.

marty

LOL Marty!!

I am Scottish and Irish in my heritage and my family is very into our Scottish side.

My niece is one of the top Scottish Highland Dancers in Canada and will be representing Canada at the World Highland Games in Scotland this year. She's only 12 but she dances in the 14 - 18 y/o class, Premier Division...she's really that good at it!!

We have an event coming this week called "Mosaic" which celebrates all the different cultures from around the world. There are 26 pavilions this year spread out all over the city and it's a 4 day event. This thing is a blast, you can go all over town and have native food, drink and dance at all the different ethnic pavilions.

As usual my niece will be performing at the Scottish pavilion so I'll be spending allot of time there. I usually help out too but this year I want to go see more of the other places and test the foods and drinks.

yo chappy

i have a grand daughter who dances

celtic jig .and i think the other is the sword dance

and im so proud of her.

she is also poliynesian.

and dances .

hula .ect.

i get my freinds ribbing me about this brown faced

scortish.lassie danceing these celtic dances .

but im proud that she can go back .

to her ancestral roots

wheather it be

polyneasian or celtic.

take care. keep me posted on your neices dancing progress

i intend to show my grand daughter your post.

marty

Boy---3 ScotchIrish folks here so far, Jeff better batten down the hatches :lol:

And my son is a dancer in a folk dance troupe--10 years now--mainly English Border Morris (with sticks)

CHAPPY--he "dances" Bacca Pipes (well, it's a girls dance but the boys "have" to run up and give the girls a kiss if they make a mistake, needless to say, he pays very close attention) It's a Step Dance, you'll have to ask Niece if she's ever danced it (just call it a Pipe Dance...and give her a hard time about the kissies ;) ). And so cool that she's dancing the Games!!! Do you get to go, too?? Maybe they need Chaperones, that's how I got to spend 3 weeks in Denmark (being assistant coach helped, too)

And MARTY, Son's group also dances 2 Sword Dances--the Rapper (very wild and dangerous with short metal, double handled swords) and the Flambeau Longsword--(they're wooden swords but its easy to fall on your nose!) you'll have to ask Grandaughter if she dances either of those! Bitsers, I like that :) sounds better than a mutt.

Oh, how I can get threads off tangent..........

Liz

LOL Marty!!

I am Scottish and Irish in my heritage and my family is very into our Scottish side.

My niece is one of the top Scottish Highland Dancers in Canada and will be representing Canada at the World Highland Games in Scotland this year. She's only 12 but she dances in the 14 - 18 y/o class, Premier Division...she's really that good at it!!

We have an event coming this week called "Mosaic" which celebrates all the different cultures from around the world. There are 26 pavilions this year spread out all over the city and it's a 4 day event. This thing is a blast, you can go all over town and have native food, drink and dance at all the different ethnic pavilions.

As usual my niece will be performing at the Scottish pavilion so I'll be spending allot of time there. I usually help out too but this year I want to go see more of the other places and test the foods and drinks.

We go to Folkfest every year near us......it's the same thing as Mosaic. It's a great time of traditional dance and lots of food and drink.... :D

Love it.......

B)

hey you guys begorrah. im amongst friends. bejabbers

that is my irish comming out.

australia is very scots and irish

and have an english language of its own.

and like new zealand has devoped a

a scottish,irish , and english .lingo of its own.

and i love to hear it.

thanks cuzzies

marty

I'm Scots - Welsh, pure celtic (noone would ever guess that from my avatar and sig would they) :lol: Used to be able to do the dances but the knees hurt too much any more. We celts get all over the world. A friend of mine was in Manaus, Brazil one time, 1000 miles up the Amazon. He walked into a bar and there was one other white person inthe bar, another scot. Also typical to find us in a bar :lol:

Liz please don't say you are scotch, that is whiskey people are scots. Don't want everyone thinking you are drunk now do we :lol:

z7shysterical.gifz7shysterical.gif

But, But, But,.......My Scottish/Irish Grandfather ALWAYS said "Scotch"........but come to think of it, he was a recovered alcoholic......did he use a Freudian Slip all these years????? :lol: You know, he DID have a really wicked sense of humor, so I wouldn't be at all surprised, and if so, my Mother's entire side has been saying it wrong for a couple generations due to him-- :lol:

Now I'm suspicious about his term ScotchIrish (or I guess ScotIrish, but that's kinda hard to pronounce)----did that oldfart make that up, too?!!? If he did, I GOTTA call my mom, oooooooo, she's going to be ticked........ ;)

Liz

that would be Scots/Irish and plenty of people from the Glasgow area have that heritage.

Good celtic blood there, and none o' the da**ed sassenach as my paternal grandma would say. She is the one that causes me to use the robroy nick. She was a McGregor, one of the Gregorach (children of the mist). We don't think there is any direct relationship to the Rob Roy but there were apparently some older records that were a little confused so we cannot be certain. Names were spelt in different ways on birth, marriage and death records but may be the same person

here in NZ

we have a city called dunedin

and back in the early.50 and 60

it was 94 percent scots

now of course with the influx of immigrents

it has halved that total.

and every 3 years we have a south pacific.

scots and irish festival

and the amount of dancing competitions

goes for 7 days.

in the modern times they have included all

ethnic groups .

and i love it

my the scotch that is partaken of. would fill a

water tank.

i met a man last year who went to the mosiac .

and when chappy mentioned it in his post.i coudnt remember where ide heard the name

scots and irish music is very populiar in this country .

and i remember when i was playing in the band .

we all had to play a series of scottish and irish melodies.

as well as other music.

at one stage i belong to glasgee was our natinal anthem

un til queen victoria came to the throne

and to be honest icant remember the words to god save the queen .

hey you guys you are making me nostalgic

marty

Conversation with my Parents:

I asked Mom about the Scotch/Scots

Mom "Both are acceptable"

Me "How do you know?"

Mom "I had a teacher tell me Scotch was wrong, so I asked your Grandfather and thats what he told me"

Me "Did you ever wonder if he was pulling your leg?"

Mom "He wouldn't do that, wait, oh sh*t, would he? No, well, maybe? hmmm, oh sh*t, I'M GONNA KILL HIM**"

Dad starts howling with laughter

Dad "Carolyn, he was ALWAYS playing tricks on you girls--I bet he gotcha"

Mom starts cussing and laughing at the same time, Dad and I laugh even harder!

**That's my Mom's generic threat when she gets frustrated--Grandfather's been dead for 20 years :lol:

And Robroy, you're right about the name changing--my Grandfather's family name (...if I remember right...) started as Bard, then Bayrd, then finally Baird, and I think there was a Bayer in there, too....Must drive the geneology folks nutty!

Liz

Very interesting thread!

I love this board where it is ok to sidetrack a thread to such interesting stuff.

I have a good ole Irish stew heritage mix of Irish, Scotch, (my Merriam-Webster dictionary gives Scotch as the plural form for people of Scotland, and Scot as the singular form, which is what I was taught at home and school), English, German, and French, and perhaps some American Indian though we can't prove that for sure.

A term that isn't heard so much nowadays with all the celebrate diversity politically correct talk, is American melting pot. I love that term for it is truly what most of us are after several generations here. We can celebrate diversity but how come it is only for those "pure" people, not the rest of us?

I am proud to be an American, with a melting pot of several nationalities as my heritage.

God bless everyone.

scotch

adj 1: of or relating to or characteristic of Scotland or its people or culture or its English dialect or Gaelic language; "Scots gaelic"; "the Scots community in New York"; "`Scottish' tends to be the more formal term as in `The Scottish Symphony' or `Scottish authors' or `Scottish mountains'"; "`Scotch' is in disfavor with Scottish people and is used primarily outside Scotland except in such frozen phrases as `Scotch broth' or `Scotch whiskey' or `Scotch plaid'" [syn: Scots, Scottish, Scotch] 2: avoiding waste; "an economical meal"; "an economical shopper"; "a frugal farmer"; "a frugal lunch"; "a sparing father and a spending son"; "sparing in their use of heat and light"; "stinting in bestowing gifts"; "thrifty because they remember the great Depression"; "`scotch' is used only informally" [syn: economical, frugal, sparing, stinting] n 1: a slight surface cut (especially a notch that is made to keep a tally) [syn: score] 2: whiskey distilled in Scotland; especially whiskey made from malted barley in a pot still [syn: Scotch, Scotch whiskey, Scotch whisky, malt whiskey, malt whisky] v 1: hinder or prevent (the efforts, plans, or desires) of; "What ultimately frustrated every challenger was Ruth's amazing September surge"; "foil your opponent" [syn: thwart, queer, spoil, foil, cross, frustrate, baffle, bilk] 2: make a small cut or score into

Full definition here. As it says scotch is not in favor with the scots in Scotland and as I come from there I still feel that way also

robroy,

I am sorry about my usuage of it hurting yours, or anyones', feelings, just wanted to mention how I was raised.

I think that is exactly the problem, those outside of the true Scottish people, have heard/used/been trained to use Scotch instead of Scot.

There was no disrespect intended, and I apologize for any implied by my post.

I was just giving my point of reference as to how I was taught, and backed it up with my dictionary version.

Absolutely no disrespect was intended. And I am sorry for any hurt it caused.

God bless everyone.

Well, out of respect of a "real live Scottish person" and my good internet friend, I'm going to TRY to use the term "Scots" or "Scottish" from now on :) although it will be hard to say "ScotsIrish"--I'll try my best! My folks stopped by today and I showed Mom this thread, the comedy forum and a few other places here--she's never used a computer, I had to do the clicking and scrolling, but she just absolutely LOVES this place! She was so impressed with the family atmosphere here and ordered me to email links to BT to my sisters (you've been warned...but they're not as nutty as I am). She said she's going to call them and tell them all about this group.

Sidekickcat, I also think my family has some American Indian in it, too, although also not proven.....there has to be some reason why my Grandfather's ScotsIrish (I did it, Robroy!!) family has dark skin, bone straight hair, hawk noses, high cheekbones and rampant alcoholism in it. Oh, and just read your post--I was just relieved to hear that my Grandfather may NOT have been pulling my family's leg, (although you never knew with him.....he sure was a character) Not going to tell my mom for a while--she needs an occasionaly leg pulling too ;) *big hug*

Liz