System File Checker

Guest Crow

I wanted to give a link to TC's explanation on this but I seem to have misplaced it :( System File Checker (or SFC) is a good place to start if your "at the end of your rope" or even just to check see if everythings ok. What I reccomend doing is copying an image of your Windows installation cd (or the I386 folder) some where to your hdd. that way you can run this and further info, at any time, from any source and for any reason will know were to go to find anything it needs off the install cd.

Click on start.. then run and type command. Now if you dont have an image of install cd copied on to hdd some where then you'll need the CD. At the prompt type SFC /scannow (or just SFC<enter> for a list of SFC options) then let it do its thing. :)

• 1 month later...

Just to add a small word of warning about using this tip from my buddy Crow.

Anytime a Windows update is applied, such as SP1 or SP2, some system files are updated and the file DATE is changed to reflect the newer version.

SFC will scan and replace files that have been updated because it cannot determine the file is valid as it doesn't recognize the updated version. It will ask to replace this file and if the OK is given it will replace the new file with what it has on the install CD (older version).

In some cases this can render some of the Service Pack updates invalid, although your next trip to Win Update should find these and ask you to reinstall the update.

Dave