but each one says up grade your sys first

to those children to up grade

woudl be a bit costly for them

so for the time beeing

could any one recomend a anti virus for win me

up grade later

thanks

marty

ClamWin is a Free Antivirus program for Microsoft Windows 7 / Vista / XP / Me / 2000 / 98 and Windows Server 2008 and 2003.

http://www.clamwin.com/content/view/18/46/

AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic provides free antivirus protection for Windows XP/2000/NT/ME/98. The svelte scanner installed only 34MB and 3 running processes to our Windows XP Pentium 4 test system, making it an excellent option for those with older PCs or limited system resources.

http://www.free-av.com/

WinME, as well as Win9x, should not be used to access the Internet. These older operating systems are insecure even with an added anti-virus and firewall. You would be better off teaching the kids to use Linux if you need an operating system that is cheap and the computer you are installing it on doesn't meet the specifications for WinXP.

WinME, as well as Win9x, should not be used to access the Internet. These older operating systems are insecure even with an added anti-virus and firewall. You would be better off teaching the kids to use Linux if you need an operating system that is cheap and the computer you are installing it on doesn't meet the specifications for WinXP.

I agree, TT_75. Marty if the system can not run XP SP3 then find a version of Linux that will run on the unit. I've got an old IBM 300PL 667 MHz unit that happily runs Slackware Linux (the unit had Win 98 on it years ago). What are the specifications for the PC (processor speed, RAM, size of hard drive)?

I agree, TT_75. Marty if the system can not run XP SP3 then find a version of Linux that will run on the unit. I've got an old IBM 300PL 667 MHz unit that happily runs Slackware Linux (the unit had Win 98 on it years ago). What are the specifications for the PC (processor speed, RAM, size of hard drive)?

I agree with TT and hitest. Better to go with a Ubuntu install than WinME if the computer will run it.

Try from the bootable install cd (Ubuntu live option) and if it works go ahead and do a clean install.

This will let them surf the web and do normal tasks but is far less vulnerable to malware (most just cannot install , will try to run a .exe file which is just not possible in linux) .

If you haven't tried Ubuntu or other linux lately, go for it; it is almost windows level of friendly in most respects; completely adequate for a kids internet computer.

• 4 weeks later...

hi team

thanks for the advice i havent bin here for sometime

and havent bin able to work on the machine

yes ive deciced to change the sys

the unit is to small for xp or win7

and with only 512 mg of ram not many linux sys will load

on to one this small

at this stage i dont want to go any bigger

as they are learners

but once we getem going we can think of some thing else

so if any one can recommend a linux sys that fits 512 ram