Printer and Router update.

After buying a new Router I also had to end up buying a new Wireless adapter for my wife's PC. The old one just quit on her. All is well now with the Router on my desk and not next to the Printer. Well I thought all was well until I took apart that old wireless adapter and got it to work on another PC in another room. Plugged it in and made some updates to that PC and went to pick up the wife. Came home and my wife's PC couldn't connect to my Router again. Had to unplug the router and plug it back in. I am now thinking it was that stupid Belkin Wireless adapter I had all this time. It is unplugged again and no problems with the router shutting off anymore. My sister has the same Wireless adapter and has to unplug it and plug it back in every day to make it work. I think they are just JUNK. And I do think you get what you pay for and I paid the price this time.

Could be an issue with DHCP if one machine is set to a fixed IP and the others set to obtain automatically and you power on the ones with automatic before the one with fixed or you do not place the fixed outside of the range of automaticly assigned IPS

1. Check to see if a driver update is available for the adapter. Uninstall the old version before installing the newer version.
  2. If your wireless adapter comes with its own wireless management software, decide whether you will use it or choose to go with the Windows Wireless Zero Configuration (WCZ). If you go with the former, you will have to deactivate WCZ via the Windows Services; if you go with the latter, simply disable the wireless management software from within the GUI or its corresponding startup item.
  3. Run a scan of the detected networks in your neighbourhood and take note of their wireless channels and SSIDs. Make sure that your wireless router is configured to use a unique SSID and broadcast on a channel that is as far away from the others as possible. Also configure your wireless adapter to transmit via same channel.
  4. In the list of preferred wireless access points for your adapter, ensure that your router's SSID is at the top of the list. Disable connecting to non-preferred networks.

I think you might have it Pete. I might try connecting all the other PC's first then load the one with the Belkin adapter last. Falcon I will also check for an update to the adapter. Although I already bought a new adapter and will not be using the old PC I put the Belkin adapter on. I will at least have a back up if needed.