I forgot what a pain it is to change an e-mail address across the board

I've been with one provider for .... longer than I care to remember. Of course everything I do online, every forum, every account, every newsletter, and all the things I can't remember, needs to be updated. Days go by and I get yet another e-mail on my old-soon-to-be-discontinued e-mail account and I go, "Oh crap! I forgot about that one!"

And do they make it easy? No! Of course not! Some I can't figure out how to "change" the address, so I have to sign up with my new address, ensure that went through, then cancel the old account.

(Not to mention friends & family that don't seem to "get it," no matter how often I remind them of the change, they keep sending e-mail to the old address .... what's up with that?)

Yeah, I went through that a year or two ago, when I switched from using my local ISP to using google as my mail server. I feel a bit odd about housing all of my e-mail with the google overlords, but, so far it is working out.

JDoors:

I've had to do this multiple times, and I can tell you from experience that Most of the time it was painless, but on rare occaisions, you don't have as much control over bringing your mail over to your new provider. When I switched from Fairpoint to Charter, I had to start a week or so earlier then I wanted to close down the other accounts. I simply changed a few of my internet related accounts a day, and then forwarded my mail from the old accounts to the new accounts and soon I had all of my older mail in my new accounts.

I then went in and verified that all of my mail was being received - Next, I went in and made sure my business-related internet stuff had the address changed. This time, However, I MOVED all my mail to Hotmail, so that If I had to change it again, I would have all my mail going to one place, REGARDLESS of who my ISP was. This eliminates having to deal with the hassle of changing it EVERY time you either move, or make a decision to change providers.

Unfortunately, No matter how many times you tell people of your new email, there are going to be people who insist on using the old mail address. When I did a move for a friend of mine, I simply forwarded mail from the old address to his new address, and that way he keeps both, but uses one. If you are moving ISP's this won't work well, because you will LOSE the old address, and it will bounce.

Take Care ;)

Brian