GoDaddy Email Via PINE/ALPINE?

Hello All:

I was just wondering if there is a way to grab all of my Godaddy Email by using PINE or ALPINE, and then be able to send mail using my PINE mailer as if it was coming from the Godaddy Servers? I believe that I have seen this done using a domain, but don't believe that Godaddy either knows enough about linux to set this up, or they simply don't want to deal with this.

What I want to do is to be able to grab all mail from [email protected] and then have it come down to my mailspool, then be able to compose and send mail using PINE on my machine - Has anyone had any luck doing this with godaddy, or would someone be able to help me do this if I was able to get the server information and login credentials?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated ;)

Brian

• 4 months later...

GoDaddy and Alpine can work together, but not as best friends.

For your server settings, you either have to have the POP or IMAP server info.

pop.secureserver.net/[email protected]/pop3

or

imap.secureserver.net/[email protected]

You have to pay for the IMAP service, so unless you have been, you'll just use the first one.

You can also add the "/ssl" tag at the end as well for SSL support.

The biggest problem I have is that GD's Inbox nomenclature doesn't play well with Alpine.

I can only retrieve my Inbox, and no other folder.

(They are all named "INBOX.this" and "INBOX.that" which apparently Alpine doesn't know how to cope with.

In all honesty, you might be better off just having your domain mail forwarded to a gmail account, and use GD's SMTP for your outgoing domain mail.

Gmail works smoother and better in Alpine than GD's mail system, IMHO.

Hope this helps!

-Kris

Hello All:

I was just wondering if there is a way to grab all of my Godaddy Email by using PINE or ALPINE, and then be able to send mail using my PINE mailer as if it was coming from the Godaddy Servers? I believe that I have seen this done using a domain, but don't believe that Godaddy either knows enough about linux to set this up, or they simply don't want to deal with this.

What I want to do is to be able to grab all mail from [email protected] and then have it come down to my mailspool, then be able to compose and send mail using PINE on my machine - Has anyone had any luck doing this with godaddy, or would someone be able to help me do this if I was able to get the server information and login credentials?

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated ;)

Brian

• 2 months later...

Kris:

Thanks for the information. As a result, I have purchased another mailbox for root@mydomain, and using the instructions you provided, as well as information contained HERE, I have Alpine working well - I just forgot where in PINE/ALPINE that it was heheeh :)

Thanks a BUNCH :)

Brian