Routers. What is the difference?

I have been using a Linksys Wireless G router for years now and am wondering if my connection speed would increase with the N router. I live in a remote area and have slow 3 Mb speed. I typed in Speed tests and checked the speed with about 10 different testers and found I am running real slow compaired to what I should be. On average I had 1300 to 1400 download speeds. and 210-214 Upload speeds. Only one test showed 2930 download speed.

So getting an N router going to help or just good for distance? This is just one of those things I never kept up with.

Edited by lefty1953

Both N and G are faster then your internet connection so won't make much difference there. If you share files or serve media between devices in your house you will see a difference with that. Of course all your wifi devices need to be N also.

Both N and G are faster then your INTERNET connection so won't make much difference there. If you share files or serve media between devices in your house you will see a difference with that. Of course all your wifi devices need to be N also.

Thanks Steve I thought it was just the distance thing. I have been trying to get my Internet provider to increase their speeds but they are way behind. There are only 2 PC's on this line and the wife uses Face book and does all those crazy Farmville, PetVille and FrontierTown. So she does slow it down sometimes.