if you feel like digging a little deaper, I would reccomend booting knoppix-3.3(you said that one had sound), then running the command lsmod, this will list all of your sound modules that got loaded. I think most sound modules start with snd-*, they would be easy to pick out. Then it may be as easy as loading those indivdual modules in ubuntu. I would be curious to see if knoppix loads any moudles that start with snd-cs, those should be specific to your card. I would be happy to look at the output of lsmod. I feel like i am working a puzzle and so close to the solution :-)

lsmod

Module Size Used by Not tainted

autofs4 8756 1 (autoclean)

af_packet 13448 0 (autoclean)

agpgart 38296 0 (unused)

cs4232 3652 0

ad1848 20812 0 [cs4232]

uart401 6052 0 [cs4232]

sound 55276 0 [cs4232 ad1848 uart401]

soundcore 3428 4 [sound]

3c59x 25936 1

serial 52004 0 (autoclean)

usb-uhci 21868 0 (unused)

usbcore 57472 1 [usb-uhci]

apm 9768 2

rtc 6940 0 (autoclean)

cloop 9092 2

Hi shanenin,

Here's lsmod on my Dell running Knoppix 3.3.

I saw on Knoppix start-up a few sound modules loaded:-) I still haven't received my dang Mandriva CDs, hopefully tomorrow.

hitest

Edited by hitest

from the info I googled on your computer I thought that the sound card used snd-cs4236, but it appears to be using snd-cs4232, I first would try this

modprobe snd-cs4232
modprobe ad1848
modprobe uart401
/etc/init.d/alsa restart

Edited by shanenin
from the info I googled on your computer I thought that the sound card used snd-cs4236, but it appears to be using snd-cs4232, I first would try this

modprobe snd-cs4232
modprobe ad1848
modprobe uart401
/etc/init.d/alsa restart

Thanks, but, modprobe on snd-cs4232 didn't work, I got a fatal error, no such device. Maybe Mandriva will find this old ISA device.

will we leave it up to mandriva :-)

edit added later//

I need something to break on my system, so can let this problem go :-)

Thanks for the ideas, shanenin :D

If Mandriva doesn't work with sound I may go back to Mandrake 10.1. I'm hoping the CDs come today.

I found something that looks promising. Try adding this line to your file /etc/modules

snd-cs4236 dma1=1 dma2=0 io=0x0534 irq=5

then try a reboot

you may need to unmute it with the utility

alsamixer

edit added later///

the above values may or may not work :-) by doing the command

lspnp -v

it may show the revelent dma, dma2, and io values

Edited by shanenin
I found something that looks promising. Try adding this line to your file /etc/modules

snd-cs4236 dma1=1 dma2=0 io=0x0534 irq=5

then try a reboot

you may need to unmute it with the utility

alsamixer

edit added later///

the above values may or may not work :-) by doing the command

lspnp -v

it may show the revelent dma, dma2, and io values

Thanks, shanenin. I've been away from my unit today, very tired. Work stress.

My dang Mandriva CDs still haven't arrived. Usually they arrive in 1 1/2 weeks. Hopefully they'll arrive Monday.

I'll try your ideas.

later,

hitest :D

Jeesh hitest, throw a cheapy sound blaster in before shanenin has a google frenzy meltdown  :lol:

lol. I have a problem :-) once I start looking for an answer, I have trouble letting it go. It is typical for me to spend 8 or more of my free hours a day googling for an answer. I can't get any peace until I find the solution. If it was my computer I would have the sound working, but I don't feel right about giveing hitest 25 different suggestions to try everyday.

I know what would speed up this process, I need ssh access into his box(just kidding hitest)

note my signature

Edited by shanenin

heh, I'm just about as obsessive when a problem does arise, which fortunately doesn't happen all that often anymore but not long ago when I was a windows user, I used to love fixing problems, if not my own, someone elses....finally got to the point that there's a whole lot more I'd rather do with a PC than fix it... even if it's just watching a movie :D

Jeesh hitest, throw a cheapy sound blaster in before shanenin has a google frenzy meltdown :lol:

LOL :lol::lol::lol:

Thanks for a good laugh, buddy!! You made my day! I haven't been on my Linux box much lately, work is taking up all of my time.

Great suggestion about the sound blaster card. I think I've got one slot free. That's what I'll do if Mandriva doesn't fix my sound issue.

Jeesh hitest, throw a cheapy sound blaster in before shanenin has a google frenzy meltdown  :lol:

lol. I have a problem :-) once I start looking for an answer, I have trouble letting it go. It is typical for me to spend 8 or more of my free hours a day googling for an answer. I can't get any peace until I find the solution. If it was my computer I would have the sound working, but I don't feel right about giveing hitest 25 different suggestions to try everyday.

I know what would speed up this process, I need ssh access into his box(just kidding hitest)

note my signature

I appreciate your thoughtful ideas, suggestions, shanenin! You are an excellent problem solver. I'm taking a bit of a breather from my Linux box these last few days, too much work. Year-end paper work is a killer.

Once things settle down, I'll get it working one way or another. Even if I have to take a BFH to it :D

hitest

• 2 weeks later...

did you ever try this:

you can add an entry to your /etc/modules with the following command. This will try to load the correct sound module at boot

echo "snd-cs4236 dma1=1 dma2=0 io=0x0534 irq=5" >> /etc/modules

then try a reboot

you may need to unmute your alsa with the command

alsamixer

those values probably have a 50/50 chance of working for you

Edited by shanenin
did you ever try this:

you can add an entry to your /etc/modules with the following command. This will try to load the correct sound module at boot

echo "snd-cs4236 dma1=1 dma2=0 io=0x0534 irq=5" >> /etc/modules

then try a reboot

you may need to unmute your alsa with the command

alsamixer

those values probably have a 50/50 chance of working for you

Those are good ideas, shanenin. However, my computer chipset doesn't recognize ALSA, fiddling with it before caused my computer to give some very strange errors and crash on shut down.

For some reason the software company that is shipping me Mandriva has lost the shipment and they say it's my problem, go figure?

So I'm running Mandrake 10.1 on this unit right now and everything works. When and if Mandriva shows up I'll give it a try.

Strangely enough I downloaded, installed Mandriva 2005 and it gave me some really strange errors during the install even tthough my MD5SUMs were fine, so I aborted the install. Perhaps, Ubuntu or Mandrake 10.1 may have messed up my boot sector, or disk geometry in some way.

Maybe when Mandriva shows up I'll use Slackware and fdisk the hard drive before I start the install.

I may have to finally pony up some cash for a new unit. It would be great to have a fast P4 or AMD unit like yours, shanenin. I'm getting tired of old hardware. :D

you may have better luck with the newest version of ubuntu, it may still be in testing. So are you out of luck with your mandrake cds, or just delayed? Is this computer one of two you have linux on, or is this the only one? I thought you also had a faster one.

you may have better luck with the newest version of ubuntu, it may still be in testing. So are you out of luck with your mandrake cds, or just delayed? Is this computer one of two you have linux on, or is this the only one? I thought you also had a faster one.

Hi shanenin,

Hey good news about the new version of Ubuntu, I'll give that a try and download it when it comes out, thanks:-)

I'm not sure yet if I'm out of luck with the CDs, they may show up. The software company isn't being very helpful, they don't know where the CDs are. It's only $10 that I'm out if they're lost.....oh well. The company hasn't volunteered to do anything for me yet. I think from now on I'll download all of my CDs, I've got the bandwidth, might as well use it.

No I'm actually okay with Linux, I've got two Linux boxes. I'm running Ubuntu 5.04 on my other faster Plll IBM 667. On that unit Ubuntu runs like a charm, found everything automatically, ALSA works perfectly.

It may be time to retire this old Plll 500 and make it into an apache server or something.

Well, my @#*%ing Mandriva CDs finally showed up, I'm installing them right now. I'll see how it goes. This time I chose to do an upgrade instead of a clean install like I usually do, I'm getting lazy, didn't want to re-enter all of my settings again. So far it's going better, my computer likes the upgrade install better.

Hopefully this'll work......if not I'll go back to Mandrake 10.1. No weird install errors.......yet :D

Edit, added later.

Install finished, everything works including sound:-) Just finished downloading 330 MB of updates. So far everything is good.

There's just one thing. I wonder who designed the crappy splash screen that you get on booting? Other than that I like Mandriva 2005.

Edited by hitest
  • 7 months later...
this might work for you, no hacking nessesary, the module is already buiilt. You just need to load it(I think;-)

modprobe snd-cs4236
/etc/int.d/alsa restart

Thanks, that was a good idea.

I logged on as root; I was able to shut down alsa and restart it. Just for good measure I re-booted the computer, but, no sound. It was worth a shot though. I'll try Mandriva as soon as it arrives, hopefully tomorrow.

Just an FYI for anyone else setting up this type of system(I just got a couple with version 5.10 of Ubuntu installed on them)

I was able to get sound working on mine by issueing the following two commands:

sudo modprobe snd-cs4236

esd

I ran across this thread searching google and thanks to this thread I was able to get it up and running.

• 2 months later...

I have never used linux before, and looking to f around on my old college machine. I have a Dell Optiplex GX1 ... everything is stock except a couple hardware upgrades I added (cd rw, 40gig hd, tv card). I installed Ubuntu successfully which impressed me because I have heard a lot of Noobs having trouble on linux installs. I just realized my sound doesnt work. Appears to be a common problem with the integrated crystal sound chips. I hope this command works....or it is off to mandrake for me. It will bother the sh*t out of me not to have sound working.

Edited by hitest

yes for some reason the crystal sound chips don't work well with ubuntu. what they have actually recommended is to try a different sound card. Some linux distros don't really care for on-board sound card/chips.

Interesting to note.......I finally gave up on Ubuntu for my Dell optiplex and used a different distro. Suse 10.0 OSS will recognize your sound card on your optiplex. You can download the 5 isos for free, it'll just cost you 5 blank cdrs.

Sometimes distros won't play nice with your hardware.

Dragon's solution of swapping in another sound card will work just fine too if you don't want to download a new distro.

or in my case, work at making your own distro for your system, it's kinda fun mixing distros together to get what you want, just remember you want the same base system for all parts in my case debian.

or in my case, work at making your own distro for your system, it's kinda fun mixing distros together to get what you want, just remember you want the same base system for all parts in my case debian.

Agreed. I've just finished killing my Suse install on one of my boxes. I'm now running Debian Etch on two of my Linux boxes. Mandriva 2006 on my Apache server, and Slackware on my last unit:-) I've become a huge fan of Debian Etch....................it rocks!!!!!!! :thumbsup: