I just tried an experiment on my IBM PC, thought I'd put Ubuntu 5.04 on it. It's a great distro. apt is very good, hardware detection was flawless. I'm putting my Slackware install CDs away for now.

Awesome stuff. :D

hi hitest

ive had the ubuntu disks for several months now the .

in the area i belong to we have a linux club

and when i inquired about ubuntu

they gave me six disks to give away.

so i gave one to my self .

but that dial up is my problem.

i couldnt confidure the modem.

i tried with a dual boot hoping i could dial up through xp.

but that didnt work .so i uninstalled xp and tried it as stand alone.

but no matter what i tried i couldnt get it to dialup.

in most linux oses. there is a konsole you can configur your dial up but i was lost .

when it came to ubuntu.

whith out the dial up it was still an interesring sys and i would have loved to go on with it.

i tried the club i got them from but 99 oercent are on broadband

so i got no joy from them.

strangly a club giving these disks away free .

but no info on how to configure the modem to suit dial up.

so i had to revert back to xp.

and that is where i am at the moment.

marty

hitest,

I was just wondering if you've run into any dependency issues yet in synaptic....There are a few apps that I've tried to install that just flat out fail because of a libc6 and transcode dependencies...namely mplayer and dvdrip, I know there are others but can't think of them off the top of my head.

It's funny how a couple issues like this can make me think twice about recommending a distro...I would say I'm currently without a favorite distro but this one is pretty good for what it does.

on another note, I was just messing around with my test machine, I tried installing Mandriva 2005 LE out of boredom and it wouldn't even install...Even though it installed on my laptop, it kinda got me thinking it might be a bad burn...now that I've googled around and found out how to kill some of the ugliness they were kind enough to make default behavior, I might consider giving it another shot, if it would run right.

hitest,

I was just wondering if you've run into any dependency issues yet in synaptic....There are a few apps that I've tried to install that just flat out fail because of a libc6 and transcode dependencies...namely mplayer and dvdrip, I know there are others but can't think of them off the top of my head.

It's funny how a couple issues like this can make me think twice about recommending a distro...I would say I'm currently without a favorite distro but this one is pretty good for what it does.

on another note, I was just messing around with my test machine, I tried installing Mandriva 2005 LE out of boredom and it wouldn't even install...Even though it installed on my laptop, it kinda got me thinking it might be a bad burn...now that I've googled around and found out how to kill some of the ugliness they were kind enough to make default behavior, I might consider giving it another shot, if it would run right.

Hi tictoc,

Yes, I think I've had one or two dependency issues with Ubuntu, nothing too major yet. I think it was when I decided to opt for the KDE desktop, then I had some dependency issues (I had dependency issues with Quanta I recall).

I decided to re-install and go with the stock Gnome install and everything so far seems to work okay. I used synaptic last night to download some KDE games and it seemed to go okay. Maybe it's optimized for Gnome?! Or I could have borked up my KDE install. I'm mostly happy with it except that sound doesn't work for Ubuntu on one of my Linux boxes.

I'm going to put Mandriva 2005 on that unit, hopefully Mandriva will recognize my ancient sound card. Mandrake 10 and 10.1 found my sound card.

On my other Linux box I partitioned the unit and put Ubuntu on it (nuked Slackware) and Ubuntu found all of my hardware and works like a charm.....so far.

I'm in the same boat as you, tictoc, I don't have a favorite distro yet. At least for one of my units Ubuntu is working well.

My Mandriva CDs arrive this week, I will post back here and let you know if it worked okay for me.

Yes, it could very well be a bad burn on your CDs, did they boot okay?

Good to hear from you man :D

hitest

Edited by hitest
I'm mostly happy with it except that sound doesn't work for Ubuntu on one of my Linux boxes.

just curious, did you mess with alsamixer at all? If you played a song, did it seem to play, but without volume, was not complaining of missing devices?

I had a little trouble with alsa and ubuntu. I ended up solving the problem by using alsamixer(installed by default), and muted all channels execpt master and pcm. One of the other channels seemed to be blocking my sound, by muting it my sound just started to work.

I'm mostly happy with it except that sound doesn't work for Ubuntu on one of my Linux boxes.

just curious, did you mess with alsamixer at all? If you played a song, did it seem to play, but without volume, was not complaining of missing devices?

I had a little trouble with alsa and ubuntu. I ended up solving the problem by using alsamixer(installed by default), and muted all channels execpt master and pcm. One of the other channels seemed to be blocking my sound, by muting it my sound just started to work.

No, no problems with alsa at all. Alsa works just fine for one of my computers. However, on my old Plll 500 Dell the only sound configuration software that'll identify my sound card is the old Red Hat stand by, sndconfig (Alsa can't find my sound card). I'm hoping that Mandriva hasn't taken that old utility out. If Mandriva has removed the utility I'll go back to Ubuntu on my Dell, I like apt, excellent updater.

btw, thanks for the tips about alsa mixer. If Mandriva doesn't work I'll try your work arounds:-)

what do you have currently running on that machine, still ubunutu? what sound card(chipset) does it use. if you run the command /sbin/lspci it should tell you.

did redhat use OSS or alsa?

Edited by shanenin
what do you have currently running on that machine, still ubunutu? what sound card(chipset) does it use. if you run the command /sbin/lspci it should tell you.

did redhat use OSS or alsa?

/sbin/lspci

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corp. 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX Host bridge (rev 03 )

00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corp. 440BX/ZX/DX - 82443BX/ZX/DX AGP bridge (rev 03)

00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ISA (rev 02)

00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 IDE (rev 01)

00:07.2 USB Controller: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 USB (rev 01)

00:07.3 Bridge: Intel Corp. 82371AB/EB/MB PIIX4 ACPI (rev 02)

00:0f.0 PCI bridge: Digital Equipment Corporation DECchip 21152 (rev 03)

00:11.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c905B 100BaseTX [Cyclone] (rev 24 )

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro AGP 1X/2X (r ev 5c)

Here's my output when I run /sbin/lspci

I think I've just got a really old sound card that newer distros won't recognize. I'll find out tomorrow or Thursday if Mandriva will find my card. Ubuntu is awesome at hardware detection, but, not really old stuff I guess.

Not a problem though. This'll give me an excuse to eventually upgrade this old unit :D

p.s. I'm only running Ubuntu on this old unit:-)

Edited by hitest

I thought the output of lspci would have given me something to google. I do not even see your soundcard(chipset) listed. Hmm.

Thanks anyways :-)

My thought was that maybe your card is only supported using OSS, that is why redhat worked. I thought redhat used OSS by defualt, but am not really sure.

I thought the output of lspci would have given me something to google. I do not even see your soundcard(chipset) listed. Hmm.

Thanks anyways :-)

My thought was that maybe your card is only supported using OSS, that is why redhat worked. I thought redhat used OSS by defualt, but am not really sure.

Hi shanenin,

Yes, I noticed that my sound card wasn't listed as well. Oh well. I'll post here again when I try Mandriva. Mandrake products in the past have had a good track record of finding ancient hardware......we will see:-)

This should be a fun experiment.

However, on my old Plll 500 Dell
Plll or is that a pll ? I thought pllls were much faster then 500mhz. Do you by any chance have the model number available, I am curious to see what I can find on the soundcard. Does sound work with knoppix?
However, on my old Plll 500 Dell
Plll or is that a pll ? I thought pllls were much faster then 500mhz. Do you by any chance have the model number available, I am curious to see what I can find on the soundcard. Does sound work with knoppix?

Hi shanenin,

Yep, it's a Plll 500 MHz Dell Optiplex GX1. Yes, sound works with Knoppix 3.3, but, not with Knoppix 3.7 strangely enough. Sound works on this unit with Red Hat 9, Mandrake 10, 10.1.

I'll be trying Mandriva this week. I'm hoping that Mandriva still has sndconfig on it.

the reason your card did not show up with lspci is because it is an isa sound card. If mandrake does not come with that sound mouule by default, it could easily be built, it is supported in the 2.6 kernel source. If you feel like hacking your system let me know, this kind of stuff is fun for me :-)

Edited by shanenin
the reason your card did not show up with lspci is because it is an isa sound card. If mandrake does not come with that sound mouule by default, it could easily be built, it is supported in the 2.6 kernel source. If you feel like hacking your system let me know, this kind of stuff is fun for me :-)

Yes, Mandrake 10 and 10.1 are both running the 2.6 kernel and so is Mandriva 2005. If Mandriva has pulled the sndconfig utility I'm open for hacking my unit.

That'd be fun:-)

hitest

this might work for you, no hacking nessesary, the module is already buiilt. You just need to load it(I think;-)

modprobe snd-cs4236
/etc/int.d/alsa restart

Thanks, that was a good idea.

I logged on as root; I was able to shut down alsa and restart it. Just for good measure I re-booted the computer, but, no sound. It was worth a shot though. I'll try Mandriva as soon as it arrives, hopefully tomorrow.

I am guessing it gave you no error when you loaded the module. Thanks for trying. I think i get some joy when something works, it is like I am solving a puzzle. When the puizzle gets solved I get some satisfaction ;-)

edit added later//

did you load the module before restarting alsa?

Edited by shanenin
sorry if I am being pushy, but I am curious to see if loading that module would solve the sound problem with ubuntu :-)

Have you recieved your mandriva cds yet?

Nope, you're not being pushy at all; thank you for your helpful suggestions:-)

I'm expecting the Mandriva CDs tomorrow (I hope). I've found that Red Hat products are very good at finding legacy hardware.

Ubuntu is also exceptional at finding hardware.

I am guessing it gave you no error when you loaded the module. Thanks for trying. I think i get some joy when something works, it is like I am solving a puzzle. When the puizzle gets solved I get some satisfaction ;-)

edit added later//

did you load the module before restarting alsa?

No, I didn't get any error codes, I just used the code you listed. I may have forgotten to load the module. When I typed restart alsa it shut down alsa and re-started it. I don't remember loading the module.

btw, what's the command for that? Thanks.

Edited by hitest

first load the module with this command

modprobe snd-cs4236

then restart alsa with this command

/etc/init.d/alsa restart

after that, you may want to check to see if you master and pcm volume are unmuted, you can check with the command

alsamixer

first load the module with this command

modprobe snd-cs4236

then restart alsa with this command

/etc/init.d/alsa restart

after that, you may want to check to see if you master and pcm volume are unmuted, you can check with the command

alsamixer

Yeah, that's what I thought I was supposed to run. I thought for a moment that I had missed a "load module" command.

I did run the commands exactly as you listed them as root. Didn't work. Good idea though.

Thanks for the suggestions.

does alsamixer give you output(after loading the module and restarting alsa)? Sorry last question :unsure:

I don't think I am going to get closure on this issue.

Edited by shanenin
does alsamixer give you output(after loading the module and restarting alsa)? Sorry last question :unsure:

I don't think I am going to get closure on this issue.

Nope, no output listed when alsa re-starts. I knew it probably wasn't going to work as the volume icon wasn't dispayed as it is on my other Ubuntu box when my Dell re-booted. I even tried using

/alsactl store

to store my alsa settings. That didn't work either. Not a big deal. Mandriva might work. If not I just have to come to the realization that this hardware is getting too old to run the newer distros.........yet another excuse to buy a new unit :D If Mandriva doesn't find my sound card I'll probably put Ubuntu back.

if you feel like digging a little deaper, I would reccomend booting knoppix-3.3(you said that one had sound), then running the command lsmod, this will list all of your sound modules that got loaded. I think most sound modules start with snd-*, they would be easy to pick out. Then it may be as easy as loading those indivdual modules in ubuntu. I would be curious to see if knoppix loads any moudles that start with snd-cs, those should be specific to your card. I would be happy to look at the output of lsmod. I feel like i am working a puzzle and so close to the solution :-)

Edited by shanenin