Daughter is having a conflict with one of her Laptops. She is a conflict IP address error everytime she tries to load IE. I haven't been keeping up with these things and have forgotten more than I know nowadays. I was going to tell her how to check her IP address's on her systems and I can't remember how to do that. Also how would she change the IP address if it is conflicting? Thanks in advance. Lefty

Start > Run. Type cmd and press the <Enter> key. At the prompt type ipconfig /all (notice space between g & /)and press the <Enter> key. This will display her information. While in the Command window she could run ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew to see if this fixes the error. When done with the Command window typeexit and press the <Enter> key.

Knowing more about the connection setup (wired or wireless) and OS would help trace the problem

In my experience this occurs when you have the laptop set to use a fixed IP address and you have the other computers on the network set to obtain an IP automatically and the laptop is the last to start. To confirm this, turn off all computers and networked printers, then turn on the laptop alone and see if it works. If so you know this is the issue. If not , it could still be it , just that the IP is the same as the router or modem.

For this reason I generally suggest setting all computers on the network to obtain an IP automatically.

Note that if she is on a network which requires a fixed IP at work or school she will need to write down the fixed IP before changing things so she can reconfigure it later. It can also happen if all computers are set to use fixed IPs and one of the others is configured with the same IP.

http://uits.iu.edu/page/aiyy

Thanks guys I guess Windows Help did know something this time. She opened Help and fixed it herself. I have used help many times before without and resolution. I will let her konw about the laptop loading last.

IPConfig is one of those I had forgotten about.