XP cant find my network-connected printer

My roommate and I are sharing the printer, we have HP all in one printer, a last year model. We decided to have it hooked up to the router since the all in one printer do have the ethernet port. Her laptop (using Vista) found the network printer just fine and printed the paper just fine. And my Xp did find it but a few weeks later it disappeared from my Printer list. So I attempted to add a printer and click on Network Printer and have it find it for me. It still couldn't find the printer that was connected to our router. I check on what IP address that my roommate laptop show the printer. and it using 192.168.1.100 address. So I add the ip to New Printer stuff, and it still invalid. No matter what I do, XP still can't find the printer. Any help on this?

My roommate and I are sharing the printer, we have HP all in one printer, a last year model. We decided to have it hooked up to the router since the all in one printer do have the ethernet port. Her laptop (using Vista) found the network printer just fine and printed the paper just fine. And my Xp did find it but a few weeks later it disappeared from my Printer list. So I attempted to add a printer and click on Network Printer and have it find it for me. It still couldn't find the printer that was connected to our router. I check on what IP address that my roommate laptop show the printer. and it using 192.168.1.100 address. So I add the ip to New Printer stuff, and it still invalid. No matter what I do, XP still can't find the printer. Any help on this?

Run the software disk again and choose the network printer option.

mm I feel dumb for not using the HP software to find my printers. I usually let Window to get the drivers for me since I know HP's software is usually bloated (64MB, seriously bloated) But I'm glad it didn't install the software, just the driver that all. and HP Installer found my networked printer and test page it, it work beautifully, thanks for the help :)

I have noticed some hp printers use a non standard(different then other printers) tcp/ip connection

But Why is that? Before I used the HP driver, my XP able to find the printer just fine and printed good until a week later, it just disappeared for no reason. What cause the disappearance? Do HP want to "force" the customer to use their software to find the networked printer?

I have noticed some hp printers use a non standard(different then other printers) tcp/ip connection

But Why is that? Before I used the HP driver, my XP able to find the printer just fine and printed good until a week later, it just disappeared for no reason. What cause the disappearance? Do HP want to "force" the customer to use their software to find the networked printer?

No, the biggest reason is to standardize them with the all in ones . The Scanner needs a special approach to allow it to communicate with the computer and be shared over a network.

My suspicion is that it is actually a firewall issue. Initially you had no problem and the firewall was accepting the printers "greeting" when it powered on and passing data through to the printer; but something changed, an update, new software, change of settings on the printer by someone else on the network or in the printers menu... The end result was the firewall was blocking communication with the printer, until you ran the HP config software which knows how to tell the firewall to allow the printer to communicate.

I have found the software useful. Its 64 msgs because it contains things like OCR and Scan software that lets you hit scan on the printer and pick which computer and which application to scan to on that computer all from the printer. The all-in-one printers use Their own Scan format (its been open sourced in the SANE project) and use IPP by default on the printer. Connecting to the router could be the issue as Pete_C stated. The router is probably dropping packages, use wire-shark or some other packet scanner to find out.. You probably can not span ports on that router so do the best you can.

• 1 month later...

Updated: It works well few weeks ago with the HP software and I uninstalled it to get other software add to it, and try to find the printer again, it unable to find it for some reason. so I decided not to bother with the connection through the wireless.

I moved to a different room and closer to the router this week, so basically, I connected 2701HG-B Gateway to my WBR-2310 and my computer is connected to my WBR along with my video phone device. Few days later, I realized that I am able to use the wired connection to get a better connection with the printer. So I get the HP software again and run it. it still unable to find it. the printer is still connected to the 2701HG-B Gateway. I am able to access the printer web UI by entering the printer's ip address and the web ui is working just fine. So the software ask me to search the printer through ip address or the host name. So I enter the address which it is 192.168.1.100 and it failed to find it, so i enter the host name and it still failed to find it. So I changed my printer address to 192.168.1.90 by changing the setting in my 2701HG-B Gateway and try again with the software, it still failed. I Don't believe it my WBR is preventing the connection because my Video phone device is hooked up to it and anyone able to call me without any hiccup. I led to believe it the 2701HG-B Gateway that causing problem. and I know 2wire is infamous for their problem by letting the Telcom to set their own software in 2wire router. I changed the cabling that connect from 2701HG-B Gateway to my printer and it still work fine. so it not the cabling, it something that 2701HG-B Gateway is not letting it doing anything. Any Help on this?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone help me with this? Had a few modification recently. Due to a connection problem with my videophone, so I had to make my WBR to be a switch and it work well. So basically after doing stuff trying to make my networked printer to appear on my installation. I went to HP.com and get a HP Home Network Diagnostic Utility program and ran it. It found my networked printer just fine, but the setup still not seeing the printer in the network. Since my WBR is the switch, that should give a direct access to my gateway which a center hub for my internet. So I thought it is a possibility that it the Firewall policy that blocking the connection? So I went to Window Firewall and found a bunch of expection for HP program and they all are repeated name. it like 15 clone of them in it. So I removed them all and still having the same problem. Any help on this?