Fond Memories Of Our Childhood

Fw: Fond memories of our childhood... How did we survive?

A repeat worth repeating....

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing and didn't get tested.

We rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING! NOT SITTING IN FRONT OF THE TV

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back before dark.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels onorgia color=#993366 size=5>

We made up games with sticks, hankerchiefs, and rocks and ate worms and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes,

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't accepted it. The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

Well, I am not up there on that totem poll, but I respect all of that which you said and the people that made today such a day. Without some of the childhood memories or the tests they went through, todays generations and future generations would never know what "Pain and Suffering" is all about. Although I wasn't born until the early 80's, I try to understand the way's, even the goofy daisy duke short wearing way's to figure out my generation's parents and how I take to things. It is almost inspiring to read some of those lines Handplane and realize how true they are still. Thanks for the motivation to make a change and decide a different outcome for the future...!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

1941 wasn't a very good year..I was about 6 weeks old when the japanese bombed pearl harbor...they said I was too young to enlist.

lol bearskin, Today kids are getting fatter and lazier. All they do is watch T.V and eat junk food, not all kids are like this but most are. I'm 18 but I remember when I was about 8 and I had to help my parents I never once said wait I'll do that later, but I hear my little brothers and sister responding like many others to small tasks that need to be done. In those days I never watched too much T.V I was busy playing Super Mario Bros. on my NES (god I love those days). I for one put the blame on T.V and the parents not doing enough to help their children become more active. If I had children there would be NO T.V if the kids ever got board they could READ a book that's just as good if not 100% better for the brain.

sry if I made any mistakes :P

handplane....that was so cool.. :)

All those points brought me back with some good memories..

Not to long ago my wife and I were reminiscing of some of those early days and comparing to how things are today with our daughters. When we touched on the subject of television...they were in disbelief that we only had 2 channels to watch and had no idea that there was such a thing as black and white tv's.

But then when I hear some of the stories my parents talk about....I guess I had it pretty good... :lol:

hi handplane

yes i went through all that.

when i mention it to my grand children.

they say to me granddad.

you are living in the past .

and god i wished i could do that at times .

do you know our front door was never locked for 43 years.

when we shifted we had to cut the key out with a hack saw .

any one want to try that today.

no way now doors have iron bars welded across them

yes handplane

times have changed. i like living on nostalga.

marty

I agree that TV may be to blame the the current generation (my generation) being so lazy, but not all are like that. In California, the place of my residence, i hear that we have the highest percentage of obese (sp?) adolescents in the country. Not something to brag about....

However, sure, our generation has plenty of things that was not available during the other generations' time, but they had, in my eyes, a better life. I mean, i hear stories about how others would go out and play around in the park, or take apart things and put them back together; we can't do the same things you guys did. Not because that we aren't the same people, no, its about the environment. Nowadays, you hear so much about kidnappings and shootings, people get scared. And, family projects to fix something--today, the costs are so much cheaper back then that when something breaks, you have the option to just pay to fix/replace it. Back then, the difference was so much that just fixing it yourself wasn't just AN option, it was the ONLY option.

I mean, i could just be making excuses, I know i could be more active; I'm just lucky i'm not overweight and i excersize decently. However, we don't live in the past. We can't keep looking there and reminiscing about other generations. We need a new plan.

Hehehe...i sound like an old guy advocating the young....:D :D :D

Oh yeah!

"These are the good old days"....Carol King, wasn't it?

Let us not forget about some of the negative areas growing up in a somewhat misinformed time.

Racism was the order of the day, along with virtually no women's rights, McCarthyism, a slave system called "the draft", semi legalized lynchings, etc.

I'm 51 years old and certainly do remember a lot of good times along with a lot of bad growing up in that era. But I have to say that I'm glad it's 2005.

Sure we have a LONG way to go, but I think that we have more opportunities to make things better now.

And yes we still have despots and tyrants in the White House and around the world, but we also have a mighty tool called the INTERNET that we can use to dispel their evil.

As far as kids being fat or lazy or whatever because of TV, video games, Rap Crap,...yes some are.

But so are a lot of adults.

Here's a hint: Get active. Join a gym. Go for a walk.

We have wonderful technology now that was only a dream when I was growing up.

Use it. But don't blame your 42 inch waste on it.

Joe

will I'm 56 and my waist is still only 36, so I don't feel bad. My youngest is 17 and although he sits in front of the computer/tv for 3 or 4 hours a day he walks, skateboards , and generally excersises regularly and has a 30" waist so I think a lot of it is to do with diet, too much fast food and junk food is what causes the problems. I have friends whose kids eat fast food 2 or 3 times a week, and they seem to have the weight problems, those who don't give their kids fast food more than once a week don't seem to have the same problems

i must mention irregularjoes post

yes you are right

now we have 9-11 12 countrys with neuclear weapons

global warming .poison gas.oaklohoma bombing

if any one lives in the usa they are on constant alert.

and tho a agree it is local politics.terrorism.

murders. rape.

my friend this globe hasent long to live because of modenisation.

but when we go. you will be with us.

just that. i would like my grand children to grow up in a better world.

i just watched a discovery program 5-6 nights ago

and in the usa alone

36.000 people who take their own lives every year .

you mentioned rascism.

it hasent changed.

come here in the south pacific

to australia and nz and see how blatent it is

it still exist in the usa.

but no matter what you do. you cant change human nature, .

and humans attrocetys to each other.

sure it happend then but only to a few not to millions.

like it is today..

humans have become to greedy.

and greed breeds power.

i remember when i was young the saying was

why is a country like china a paciifist society .

and it seems they eliminated any one who showed leader ship qualitys

and the people lead them selves

in other words get rid of the s-----t stirrers

and they ran thier country for centurys like that.

i disagree with you that the modern world is a better place.

may be it is for the greedy. but what about the other 95 percent of us.

you only have to lo0ok around the world. 14 countrys

in conflict.

including the most heavily armed of them

does that not seem scary to you.

marty

Robroy, i agree with you. I myself can't image eating fast food twice in one week. I mean, I will go to fast food once a week max, thats if i have a craving. Regularly its just home food for me. People who eat out frequently must be rich and have stamina...no way could i eat it 2-3 times a week every month/year....