ok i installed opera browser to night .

it certainly is different

i have to get used to all this stuff on the tool bar.

the other problem i have is

it wont let me set the message boards address es

it keeps reverting back to opera

so for me to get to this site i have to open IE.

and it is the same with world start -and g4

any one know how i get round this

marty

i edited the post so the heading dosent fit the subject matter

i dont know how to edit the heading.

Hi Marty,

I installed Opera today just to try it out again.

I've used it before and liked it, but that was a few years ago.

I'm so used to Firefox that I gave up on Opera and uninstalled.

Opera does have a lot of features!

If you'll look in Tool/Preferences, there's all kinds of settings.

Wish I could help more.

Maybe someone that uses it regularly will chime in?

There's plenty of tutorial sites on google if you feel like reading.

Google Search: opera tutorials

Hello Marty, and flatiron too.

I am considering trying this too, and I sure appreciate the Google tutorials link. That is one I would not have thought of searching Google for.

I am on dialup, and I know you are too Marty, so how big is the download and how long did it take to do it? My dialup is pretty slow, the best rate is 31.2Kbps.

Also I finally found there is a free version, but is it only for a trial, or is it free totally. I see the paid version is $39 U.S.

And I guess that brings me to next question, if there is a free and a paid version, if so is there any difference other than ads?

The main reason I am interested in it is for the zooming tool, (am nearsighted), so is zoom in the free version?

Here is a review that Sultan gave me a link to a couple of weeks ago.

Opera Review

According to that review, there is free version but it has ads. (Maybe my Norton firewall with ad blocker will take care of the ads?)

Do I need the real Sun Java, or will it work with the fake Microsoft java setup?

It still looks like it might be worth trying, ads and all, even if not all sites work with it.

Thanks for any and all info folks.

Thanks too Marty for being the guinea pig to try it first.

God bless everyone.

Hi thesidekickcat,

I just installed Opera again to get you some screen shots.

The only difference between the paid vs and free vs is the ad up top.

Opera is just a 3.59 MB download, provided you already have Sun Java.

If you don't have sun java then I think it's it's about a 11MB download.

The start page is help files and a tutorial.

This is what you are greeted with.

This way I like it, ad does not blink.

OperaStartup

This ad blinks about every 4 seconds.

OperaStartup2

OperaStartupPage

You can change the ad in preferences either way.

OperaPreferences

Hope this helps.

I'll check back tomorrow and leave Opera installed just in case you have more questions.

Thanks so very much flatiron.

What a kind thing to do for me, I really appreciate it.

Those ads don't look to bad at all...your way!

Does Opera do nag popup ads to get you to buy the ad free version?

Next questions are about Sun Java: Does Opera mirror the Sun Java download? Or do I have to try to figure out that Unuser-friendly Sun Java site to get it? I haven't recently checked out Sun Java's website, but it made no sense whatsoever to a newbie like me about a year ago. No way was it user-friendly. I could not, at that time, figure out what to do even. Geek that might as well have been Greek for all the sense it made to me.

I think I may have some threads in my favorites on G4 for what Pete said to do with the Microsoft fake java settings if we switched to Sun Java, but not sure.

Why doesn't the java from Microsoft work anyhow for anything that requires Java? (Though I remember vaguely hearing about some lawsuit, so I suppose that killed it off.)

Another question, I heard that Sun Java stuff had some bad problems awhile back, has that been solved? I can't remember what it was but at the time I read it it seemed serious. Do they do updates if their stuff has problems?

At the moment I am more concerned about Sun Java, then about Opera. The Opera download doesn't sound impossible, but the Sun Java one sure puts a damper on it, for more reasons than just the size of it.

I guess I'd better ask this too, do I have to learn anything about using Sun Java, or does it just do it's thing in the background (whatever that thing is)?

Thanks so much for all the help.

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat
Or do I have to try to figure out that Unuser-friendly Sun Java site to get it? I haven't recently checked out Sun Java's website, but it made no sense whatsoever to a newbie like me about a year ago. No way was it user-friendly. I could not, at that time, figure out what to do even. Geek that might as well have been Greek for all the sense it made to me.

Java.com should have a download link on the front page (top right) that will take you right to the package.

If that doesn't work, here is the most direct link to the main Java site that I know works. Select "JRE 5.0 Update 3" (third item down), accept the license, then select either "Windows Offline Installation" or "Windows Online Installation, Multi-language" (top two items), and then be grateful you aren't a Java developer because this is downright easy compared to getting the development packages :)

Why doesn't the java from Microsoft work anyhow for anything that requires Java?

It's an old version of the platform. Microsoft's JRE (Java Runtime Environment) supports either Java 1.1.6 or 1.1.8. The current version of the platform is 1.5.0 (also known as Java 5.0). That's about seven years of development difference.

(Though I remember vaguely hearing about some lawsuit, so I suppose that killed it off.)

Yeah. Sun requires that all implementations of Java be compatible (at least the base system). Microsoft's wasn't. Sun sued and won, and Microsoft decided to withdraw their Java products. It was a win all around in the end: Windows users were forced to switch to superior implementations of Java, and Microsoft took what they learned from their pseudo-Java and incorporated it into the (superior) .NET platform.

Another question, I heard that Sun Java stuff had some bad problems awhile back, has that been solved?

AFAIK it has been.

I can't remember what it was but at the time I read it it seemed serious. Do they do updates if their stuff has problems?

Yes, usually rather quickly.

I guess I'd better ask this too, do I have to learn anything about using Sun Java, or does it just do it's thing in the background (whatever that thing is)?

Once the plugin is installed and detected you should be able to ignore it. IIRC it will put add an icon to the tray and I think a startup item, but they can be removed if you wish.

Edited by jcl

opera has been around for ages, i used to use it at university for the email system

it has a few advantages and a few disadvantages

mailer is crap

has an irc client

its pay, or you get brainwashed into looking at ads

its not updated as frequently as it should

it runs on mobile phones

Pierce

Hey thesidekickcat,

jcl covered everything better than I could've!

Just want to add a couple of things.

Does Opera do nag popup ads to get you to buy the ad free version?

No, no ads popup.

Also, before you get Sun Java.

In IE go to Tools / Internet Options/ Advanced Tab /

uncheck all options for microsoft virtual machine /

check the box for enable third party browser extensions.

Apply and restart computer to make changes take effect.

Then install the latest sun java virtual machine from jcl's link.

Go back to Internet Options/ Advanced and check sun java if it isn't.

Restart to make sure changes take effect.

I don't have java to startup with windows. If you see jusched.exe in the Task Manager,

that is Sun Java's automatic update scheduler and is unnecessary.

How to stop java upon startup, go to Control Panel / double click the Java applet /

Update Tab / un-check "Check for Updates Automatically" / Advanced Tab /

click the + next to Miscellaneous and un-check "Place Java icon is systen tray" /

Apply / Ok

After that you'll be set to go. Any more questions just ask!

P.S. Opera is faster than IE or Firefox on my PC!

Which will be good since you're on dial-up!

WOW, thanks folks for all the information!!!

You folks are so helpful, thank you very much!!!

Now I am a bit less scared to try it, though still not super confident about the Sun Java thing which still seems scary to me.

I am still debating this, as that is a major size download for me. It will have to wait until I get the occasional higher connection speed.

And right now the weather isn't co-operating either, with hints of thunderstorm activity off and one in the area for a few days. So don't want to be doing a massive download and chance losing it or messing it up to a power outage or blip, or seeing storm clouds get closer and having to shut down and unplug fast. But that will give me time to think about trying it, and time to talk myself into being brave enough to do it.

I am sure I will find things to ask a few days down the road, thanks for your patience with this scaredy-cat.

Now I wonder how Marty is doing with his Opera install, so let's hear a progress report Marty. Did you finally get it to work on the boards you wanted???

God bless everyone.

Thanks for the download manager info.

Are they really safe to use? I have only seen them mentioned on boards a time or two, and can't remember much about what was said.

I know I read about the download accelerators being troublesome. So declined it when my dialup offered it, especially at an additional 4 bucks a month.

Oh if I only did get 56K. sigh!!! Why do they call it that when it doesn't produce it?

I usually get 28 something, and if I am real lucky I get 31.2. sigh!!!

I appreciate all the advice from everyone.

God bless everyone.

well getright ive always used, i even bought it because i liked it, at one stage yes it was ad supported by gator but it was a clear window asking if you wanted to install it. No longer is it supported by any adware. There is an option about download tracking but its anonamus service to provide hits for www.filemirrors.com

FreeDownloadManager, so long as you get the free one on the site, it will have no ads, however if you download the re-seller version thats ad-ware supported. So best to download it from the main site instead of some 3rd party site.

Pierce

Thanks for the download manager info.

I may just have a try at doing it without that though, as I am used to the slowness of dialup. I can always read a magazine or two...as I keep an eye on things.

Our dialup isp decided a couple of days ago to quit the 4 hour cutoff, it and put it at 8 hrs, so should be ok for any huge things. Though who knows maybe it wont take more than an hour or two? I'll let you know how long it takes when I do it.

I have a few other things to do ahead of this one, now the weather is settling down to just rainy, without thunderstorms to have to unplug for, so I will be able to get started on them.

God bless everyone.

hi team ive just got back to the thread .

at first a got dazzled by the banners .

but ive learned to hide the buy opera banner .

it is a new learning curve for me

it is certainly fast.

one thing i need to ask i dont have sunjava.

i went in and checked the vm boxes .

and every thing has gone well at the moment.

i havent had any hitches.

ive got to get used to the tab browsing.tho

and i need to be able handle my cookies.

so far i havent been that far.

i did have trouble getting the message boards opera

wount let me use thes applis but ive ironed that out now .

i appreciate- jcl-- flatiron_2 -peirce posting because im going to need help.

and im sure thesidekickcat

is in the same boat.

so thanks and ile keep you posted.

marty

WOW, thanks folks for all the information!!!

You folks are so helpful, thank you very much!!!

Now I am a bit less scared to try it, though still not super confident about the Sun Java thing which still seems scary to me.

I am still debating this, as that is a major size download for me. It will have to wait until I get the occasional higher connection speed.

And right now the weather isn't co-operating either, with hints of thunderstorm activity off and one in the area for a few days. So don't want to be doing a massive download and chance losing it or messing it up to a power outage or blip, or seeing storm clouds get closer and having to shut down and unplug fast. But that will give me time to think about trying it, and time to talk myself into being brave enough to do it.

I am sure I will find things to ask a few days down the road, thanks for your patience with this scaredy-cat.

Now I wonder how Marty is doing with his Opera install, so let's hear a progress report Marty. Did you finally get it to work on the boards you wanted???

God bless everyone.

yo sidekickthecat

the free opera is a very small download.

but it warns you there will be ads or banners

and slowly im trying to hide them.

i have to add i got my down load from the g4 sticky

get your answers here.

marty