My daughter has an HP Pavilion laptop with Vista Home Basic on it. The problem is, when she hits enter on the boot up screen to get to the desktop, she gets an error message. It says:" User Profile Service service failed this logon. User profile can not be found"

What does ir mean, and where did it come from??.

My daughter has an HP Pavilion laptop with Vista Home Basic on it. The problem is, when she hits enter on the boot up screen to get to the desktop, she gets an error message. It says:" User Profile Service service failed this logon. User profile can not be found"

What does ir mean, and where did it come from??.

When you first press the power button start tapping F8 once a second right after you hear the POST beep , continue until you get an enhanced startup options menu and choose safe mode.

When you get to the login login to the hidden Safe mode Administrator account (if necessary hit ctrl + alt + del to bring up the classic login screen and type the user name Administrator in the box). If she never protected this hidden account , leave the password blank.

Now go to control panel => users => common tasks => create a new user account.

Give it a different name and password than her old account , full admin priveleges.

Restart and login to the new account. If it works , we can work on using it to repair the damaged / corrupt account or taking posession of data there and moving it to the new user account.

• 2 weeks later...

So sorry I haven't gotten back to you. I've had 2 weddings and a graduation/party in the last year, so life has been a little chaotic. But, I'm done now....

Anyway, when she hit F8, it went to the screen where she chose safe mode, then the log in screen was only up for a second.and it went to the desktop. She can't find that other log in....

So sorry I haven't gotten back to you. I've had 2 weddings and a graduation/party in the last year, so life has been a little chaotic. But, I'm done now....

Anyway, when she hit F8, it went to the screen where she chose safe mode, then the log in screen was only up for a second.and it went to the desktop. She can't find that other log in....

Well if it goes to desktop just go ahead and create a new user profile.

If the other cannot be found, then it and the data on it are gone.

But after you have created a new account and logged in , check in C:\Documents and Settings to see if there is a folder there with the other username . If so we can take posession of it and copy the data to the new profile .

• 1 month later...

Well if it goes to desktop just go ahead and create a new user profile.

If the other cannot be found, then it and the data on it are gone.

But after you have created a new account and logged in , check in C:\Documents and Settings to see if there is a folder there with the other username . If so we can take posession of it and copy the data to the new profile .

Ok, finally got a chance to sit down and try this. When we get to safe mode, it goes to the desktop, and we can't find "login", just the usual task manager and logoff, and such, after hitting con-alt-del.. There is no hidden login admin that we can see. Also, when we go to Control Panel, User Accounts, when we click on Manage Another Account to start a new one, it does nothing-so we can't do that either.

{{sigh}}....

Yep system restore looks like the first thing to try , if not that try these suggestions

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/130095-user-profile-service-failed-logon-user-profile-cannot-loaded.html

Ah here it is , Microsofts answer

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

When you log on to a Windows Vista-based or a Windows 7-based computer by using a temporary profile, you receive the following error message:The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded.

This error may occur if the "Do not logon users with temporary profiles" Group Policy setting is configured.

This issue may occur if the user profile was manually deleted by using the command prompt or by using Windows Explorer. A profile that is manually deleted does not remove the security identifier (SID) from the profile list in the registry.

Note If you are not on the computer that has the problem, you can save the automatic fix to a flash drive or to a CD, and then you can run it on the computer that has the problem.

They have a guided help automated fix there if you can login to safe mode with networking.