There's no required location for EXE files.

As you've noticed, typically they get installed somewhere under the Program Files folder.

Other "popular" locations include the Root (C:\) or their own folder off the Root (C:\SomeApplication).

Usually backing up EXE files is a waste of time and space.

Unless the application is very simple and fairly small, it's actually in several pieces.

The EXE file that a program's shortcut launchs just gets things going.

It loads DLLs (Dynamic Link Libraries, think "toolkits"), reads Registry values, loads configuration/profile settings, and so on.

Unless all these pieces are backed up as well as their dependencies and interconnections you won't be able to reconstruct the application (say) after a reinstall.

What you do want to backup are the installation or setup files for the application, along with any profile or configuration files you can identify.

Those will allow you to reinstall the application after a disaster.

While it's uncommon for an application to install to My Documents, there's nothing "illegal" about an application doing that.

You also have to be careful if you try to reorganize EXE files.

Moving them around can "break" an application.

Shortcuts, Registry entries, and other pieces of the program may lose track of their location and cease to function.

It's not uncommon for applications to refer to their various components by relative position (referenced from a parent folder).

I would recommend using a completely different physical hard drive than a partition on an existing one. The reason I say this is, if you have a problem where the drive malfunctions and won't work, you'll lose access to both partitions where if you have the information on another drive, it will be easier to access. If this isn't possible, consider backing up on CD or DVD. :)

External drives are perfect for backups, fast, easy to store securely.

If you image the C drive (with Norton Ghost for example) you can restore everything after a problem. Operating system, programs, data, whatever.

It's like the ultimate System Restore, no hunting for drivers or reinstalling applications.

That's what I do with my external drives.

You can image your other (data/documents?) partition as well.

Image backups do take a little longer than other styles of backup, but I think they're worth it.

External drives are perfect for backups, fast, easy to store securely.

If you image the C drive (with Norton Ghost for example) you can restore everything after a problem. Operating system, programs, data, whatever.

It's like the ultimate System Restore, no hunting for drivers or reinstalling applications.

That's what I do with my external drives.

You can image your other (data/documents?) partition as well.

Image backups do take a little longer than other styles of backup, but I think they're worth it.

Why couldn't I just copy & Paste or drag the C: drive to the external partition? What is the advantage of using progams like ghost?