wireless excellent signal but high latency

I have this problem for a while, well more than a year. My box have Window XP and Ubuntu Karmic (9.10). Here the problem I am having. I have the same problem with my old PCI card and the current PCI card. The signal is great! however there is some form of high latency happening. It not like a high latency all the time, but it like a short burst of high latency in random time, between 10 sec to 40 sec. And it affected me greatly since I do play online game and web surfing. My PCI card is Linksys WMP54G with hi-gain antenna (the antenna is a gift from a friend). And my router/gateway is ATT 2Wire 2701HG-B, both of them have the latest update. The distance between my router and my box is like I would say 15 feet with 3 walls between it. If I use the normal PCI wireless card's antenna, it will show like 2 bars our of 4 bars. With hi-gain antenna, it usually full 4 bars. This is a problem occur more often in Window XP than my Ubuntu Karmic. Which it is the reason why I used my Ubuntu Karmic for my online games since it handle the connection better and it more stable however the burst of high latency is still there, it only occur every 15 min. In Window XP, it occur random time, between 10 sec to 45 sec. and in XP, there is a random drop connection like in every hour or so and it will re-connect before I notice any connection drop out. I know this because I seen my Window XP notification box popping up saying that my connection is re-connected. But it never happen when I am using Ubuntu Karmic, only just burst of high latency. This is the same problem with my old PCI card which it a Aircard 101. but it have low signal than my new one. Which it is why I brought Linksys card last year.

And It do affect my web surfing. I thought it was the browser that have the problem. But I tired on Chrome, Opera, Firefox and IE, they all showing the similar problem. And I already tested with the DNS, and it proven that it not the DNS. I used the ATT one and the OpenDNS one. they show the same problem. When I surf around the internet and proceed to open a link, there is some noticeable non-responsive when the browser is attempting to re-solve the connection. Refresh the page solve the problem. but this problem happen like 40% of the time. Same thing for streaming, like youtube.com, the red bar on the player is growing and then stop mid-way. It just stuck there until I refresh the page, then it will go full. Ubuntu showing this problem on the Firefox as well even using a different DNS.

Everything is on the latest version. Even the router. How can I solve this problem?

Today, I just ran a wireshark to capture anything while I am playing online game or watching a stream video and web surfing. I am not sure if it very common for ISP to do. I knew they usually do it on p2p but other stuff. For my online game, playing it for good 5 min to get good information, I got 800 RST error. Then I create a new capture and capture while I am watching youtube stuff, It shoot up 1800 RST in 3 min. Curious where those RST is coming from? could RST affecting the latency?

Today, I just ran a wireshark to capture anything while I am playing online game or watching a stream video and web surfing. I am not sure if it very common for ISP to do. I knew they usually do it on p2p but other stuff. For my online game, playing it for good 5 min to get good information, I got 800 RST error. Then I create a new capture and capture while I am watching youtube stuff, It shoot up 1800 RST in 3 min. Curious where those RST is coming from? could RST affecting the latency?

RST stands for Reset as in TCP RST ,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol

Some host TCP stacks may implement a "half-duplex" close sequence, as Linux or HP-UX do. If such a host actively closes a connection but still has not read all the incoming data the stack already received from the link, this host sends a RST instead of a FIN (Section 4.2.2.13 in RFC 1122). This allows a TCP application to be sure the remote application has read all the data the former sent—waiting the FIN from the remote side, when it actively closes the connection. However, the remote TCP stack cannot distinguish between a Connection Aborting RST and this Data Loss RST. Both cause the remote stack to throw away all the data it received, but that the application still didn't read[/quote[

Check to see if your router and network adapter are set to full duplex or half duplex.

Sounds like the linux install caused it to reset to half duplex .

How I find the info on the 2wire routers? I tried to find some information about my Wireless, however it didnt have the list for duplex. I did check the Propterties of my wireless card and couldn't find the Duplex list for my wireless card

Okay, you gave the make, what model? Same for card? Are you using the included software or windows to manage the connection?

http://support.2wire.com/?page=view&article=47&text=full%20duples%20enable&cat=&sort=

But it is more likely to be your adapter that has the issue. Have you tried removing it in device manager and restarting?

Yes it still Linksys. I am using the Window to manage my connection. in the past, I had a issue with Linksys program managing my wireless, That was like 5 years ago. It never find my router, that time it was a Linksys router, for some reason the program still unable to find it. So i switch it to let my Window take care of it and it instantly see my router and connect to it just fine. That the reason why I prefer to let window do it. If you feel that I should let Linksys to try to manage my wireless, I would give it a try.

Ok I been reading on it. It said that I have to disable something then it will make wireless turn on. I am not sure if that wording on that guide make sense since English is my second language. It said that make sure the status is disabled then check the wireless is Enabled. That when I got confused with it. I am not sure what it really want me to do.

I unseat it then re-seat it. I only have one a regular PCI bus on my motherboard. And done that before in the past. Removing the wireless in the device manager, you mean like right-click the adapter and disable it then re-enable it? or you mean reinstalling the driver? If you meant both of them, Yes I done them before.

Wow... that really fixed the problem. I did uninstall it through the device manager in the past. However I did it once again recently and fire up Wireshark while streaming is happening. for 10 min, there a very few RST. I would say it cut down 95% of the RST happening. I just uninstall it and then restart, then the window see my wireless card and attempting to install the driver by itself and then it work perfectly. I haven't tested the online game playing but will test it soon.