hi team have a look at this and beware

Be Careful of Google Spelling

marty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Found on "Bleeping Computers" Website, posted today by HarryWaldron, Security Reporter.

"Hopefully, this malicious website will be shutdown by authorities soon

Dangerous website -- Please don't mispell Google

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/googkle.shtml

F-Secure staff has found a malicious website that utilizes a spelling error when typing the name of the popular search engine - 'Google.com'. If a user opens a malicious website, his/her computer gets hijacked - a lot of different malware gets automatically downloaded and installed: trojan droppers, trojan downloaders, backdoors, a proxy trojan and a spying trojan. Also a few adware-related files are installed.

The name of the malicious website is 'Googkle.com'. [bPLEASE DO NOT GO TO THIS WEBSITE! Otherwise your computer will get infected! We have reported the case to the authorities."

The best way to advoid this is either to use a local version of google

www.google.ie

www.google.co.uk

www.google.de

www.google.jp

www.google.us

www.google.tv

as google.com is the one most targeted by people,

other good ways to advoid this, use the google tool bar, set google as your homepage and click homepage to get to google, use the google search feature built straight into firefox and opera.

i know this may be a poor excuse for "typo error" but when your flustered and you want to find something fast mistakes occour, the best way to advoid something, is to get into a fool proof habbit of using the local google, or clicking your home button, or w/e.

Pierce

yes i agree with you.

im one of ones affected .

im a poor user of the k-board

i know what i want to say but when it comes out the other end

i have to go back and edit the post.

i had never used a k-board until i got this compt.

which makes me all fingers.

and sometimes i get the letters in the wrong place e.c.t

but im not a user of google i havent ever used it.

im not interested in a search appli that spys on you.

msn search is good enough for me .

and in 4 years ive had it ive used nothing els but msn search.

or i only post answer i know.

that have related to my compt and my OS

martin

Thanks for this Marty and Peirce...

I use google, MSN, and Yahoo...not learning towards either one, but we all get in a hurry and sometimes hit the wrong key, especially if it is right next to the "key" we want...hehe...But thanks for the Heads Up :)

Thanks Marty for posting the warning.

I make plenty of typing mistakes too, so can understand this happening, though do not understand the clicking on popups that carry the poison payload. Don't click on popups!!!

I read this a few minutes ago on Cnet.

Don't mistype Google

Another couple of ways to not have to type it in everytime if you don't have the toolbar, is to put it in your favorites, or a shortcut on your desktop. I have my favorite search, Clusty, as a desktop shortcut, at least while it is in Beta.

Clusty Searcher

The way to put a shortcut on your desktop, is to go up to address bar of the site and page you want, and click on icon on left of url, drag it over to desktop and release it. Then if you want to change the name, just right click and rename to howerver you want to see it.

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat

Thanks for the warning, Marty!

Gookle and Googkle are now living in in my "internet jail", the restricted sites box!!

Daughter hurries and I can just see her falling into that trap.....thanks again, Liz

Thanks for the warning, Marty!

Gookle and Googkle are now living in in my "internet jail", the restricted sites box!!

Daughter hurries and I can just see her falling into that trap.....thanks again, Liz

hi blim

you can stop those popups by changing your cookie handling.

to prompt and block.

mine has been set for 3-4 years and i dont get the popups if i do i just refuse to place a cookie on my sys.

which is where thos popups.spyware .virus come from

cookies

marty

Thanks, Marty!!

Thats an added relief--I already have the prompt and block cookies...."thing"! I know "most" cookies are supposed to be good, but I figure, why have the added junk on the computer? Might as well block 'em. Liz