Opening Downloaded Files

Ok, folks, you all probably know this but it certainly was new to me--we've been doing it wrong for 5 years--and maybe new to someone else--Also not sure if I posted this in the right place, feel free to move.

Stolen post from OldTimer at Tom Coyote Forums (a topic I kinda understood!)

"As for opening files from a download, I would highly recommend not doing that. You should never use the Open option when downloading. You are not allowing your anti-virus applicaiton to do a scan prior to your opening the file. You should always use the Save option and then open the file from the saved location."

Liz

Hi Liz,

I have heard/read this, but still don't know how to do it.

Where is it supposed to be saved, and how is it supposed to be scanned, and opened? Does that mean all downloads, like updates etc? :unsure:

Ok...I admit I am a dunce when it comes to understanding things. :rolleyes:

But what stopped me even trying to figure it out is someone said to put it on the desktop and open with a unzipper. Ok...? I asked but no one came back to the thread to tell me the answer. (I think it was on TTV boards, as I remember.)

So what is a zipper/unzipper and does my Windows 2000 have one and is it automatically done, or ??? :unsure:

Also how do you have it scanned with antivirus? I have Norton. So does it do it with a complete scan, or do I have to set it up somehow? :unsure:

Thanks for bringing this up Liz.

I had given up on it, and had forgotten that I still don't know how to do it right. :rolleyes:

God bless everyone.

Hi thesidekickcat

If you download s file to a folder you should be able to scan it with your av software. I use avg free all I have to do is open the folder in windows explorer then right click on the file. One of the options is to scan with avg, click that option and it scans the file. If I download a .zip file I can use winzip to unzip it to a folder. I then point at the folder, right click and select the scan option to scan the whole folder. there are several other programs like winzip that will zip or unzip files.

***folks, double check this so I'm giving her the right info please***

Hi Sidekickcat,

First of all I think this was referring to things downloaded off the web, like games, (not updates), where a "File Download Box" will pop up---it says something like this:

"What would you like to do with this file?"

and below it gives 2 options,

1.Run this program from its current location or open

2. Save this program to disk or harddrive

Now, I'm looking at my Internet for Dummies book and consulting with Son, who knows how to do this :) ****So don't try this till someone of knowledge confirms this info!!!****

After you click the option to "Save" another box will pop up asking where you want the thing saved. There is a drop down menu--easiest option would be to save it to Desktop, where it can be easily found and click ok or finish. After it downloads, you should be able to right click the icon created on your desktop and should give an option to scan for viruses, but OldTimer's post makes it sound like the AV would automatically kick in before it opens(?). Double click the icon to open it, no unzipping required unless it says .zip at the end of the file. The very first box you see on a download should also say .zip at the end if its a zip file. Most files will say .exe at the end.

In my opinion, zippers are for coats---never zipped or unzipped anything on the computer. (and if a file does say .zip, I figure I don't need it that badly!:) )

Did this make sense at all? :blink:

Liz

blim,

A zipped file, is a file that has been compressed, so that it makes for a smaller download.

Zippedfolder.jpg

There's nothing to unzipping a file.

I use the zip utility that came with my XP, Winzip I believe.

A step by step:

After downloading the file, right click it and select to scan with your AV.

SelectAVScan.jpg

After the scan, the results are displayed.

If no problems are found, click Finish, Close, or whatever, depending on the AV used.

If the file shows an infection, DELETE it.

AVScan.jpg

Then right click the folder again, and select Extract All ...

RightClick.jpg

You'll be presented with this box.

Click Next.

FirstBox.jpg

Then you'll get this box.

Click the Browse button, and chose where you want the file "extracted to".

If it's a password protected file, click the Password button, and enter the password.

Then click Next.

SecondBox.jpg

You'll get this box when the extraction is complete.

If you want to be taken to the folder where you extracted the file to, leave the check mark as is.

If you don't, remove the check mark.

Click Finish.

ThirdBox.jpg

This is the file that has been extracted.

I just extracted it to the same folder for this demonstration.

ExtractedFile.jpg

That's all there is to it.

Hope this helped explain it.

Hi TG1911,

Well, that seems pretty easy (Look Sidekickcat!!!) Thank you! I especially appreciate the pictures--Being an artist, I am definitely a visual learner and being a dummy, I like seeing what to expect. :) Also nice knowing that I don't have to get a "gadget" to unzip files, that its included in XP, I remember on our evil Gateway, my nephew downloaded an unzipper for it (it is W98)

Thanks again,

Liz

I love you guys!!! That was awesome help, especially the pictures showing each step. Bless you folks.

I have a program I want to download that I will try this out with, but will wait until this weekend to do it when hubby is around (though he knows even less than I do about computers, but loves me and comforts me when I am nervous over doing something new. Ha!)

Next question; does anyone know if the winzip thing, or something similar, is on my Windows 2000?

This is the only board I feel free to ask my dumb questions, and know I wont get made fun of. I am so thankful for this Besttechie board, and for all the great people on it.

Thank you folks for the help and encouragement given here on this thread, and elsewhere. I really appreciate it.

God bless everyone.

I don't know if 2000 comes with it, but here's a way to check:

Right click any folder

Mouse over Send To

See if Compressed (zipped) Folder, or something similar, is an option

If so, then you have some sort of zip utility, which will also unzip