Well, we’re back. It has been over two weeks, but I think the downtime will be beneficial in the end. While that may seem like an odd thing to say, it has allowed me to have a lot of much needed time off from the site. In the past few weeks, I have been able to relax and just enjoy time spent doing nothing. Something I previously, never could get myself to do. Before this entire fiasco, I was working on some market research (which I will continue to do now that everything is back online) to help improve BestTechie. I have already received a number of responses which I’m currently analyzing and this input will help determine the future direction of BestTechie.

The downtime also allowed me to make changes to the sites design. While I like the layout of the design, I felt we could do better. Webair, the company who provides web hosting services to BestTechie was kind enough to offer their design services to assist with the changes. Many of the changes are subtle, but we hope they will provide a better overall user experience. We have redesigned the logo, the navigation bar, the footer, made changes to the headline and featured articles section, increased the image sizes for post thumbnails, and added sharing buttons (Twitter, Facebook, Buzz) on individual post pages.

However, there is some bad news to report as well. Unfortunately, we had to revert to an older database for the forums. The database is from mid-January, so there is a lot of content missing from the forums. While 5 months may seem like a lot of lost data (and it is), it could have been much worse. I’m asking for your help to rebuild what we lost. How can you help? The best way is to participate in the forums, ask/answer questions and join in on discussions. Thank you to everyone who offered their help and/or reached out to myself and the BestTechie community. I say it all the time, but we have the best web community out there.

Full post here: http://www.besttechie.net/2010/05/27/were-back-just-like-we-said-wed-be-back/

Man, was I ever jonseing. Finally I can get my daily fix of BT. Are they going to properly back the site up this time?

Yep. Everything is correct now. I got to thinking and I think the problem with the backup occurred because the drives failed during the backup process which then corrupted the backup. What's done is done though.

B

Awesome news, Jeff! I'm heading out for dinner in a few minutes, but, I'll get back to work in an hour or two and take a look at the Linux section and add some recent news items:)

Great to be back up again!!

• 2 weeks later...

Jeff:

Nice to see you back up - Hope you were able to enjoy some of the downtime :) lets get to work team *grin*

Brian