never seen this one, Helping a neighbor install a web cam (Microsoft life cam nx-6000) when installing the USB audio, it gets an error that there is not enough storage to install the driver. there is over 400 gigs of free drive space, and 1 gig of free ram. Page file is at 500 megs of 4 gigs.

I put in my logic tech web cam, same issue on the USB audio.

remove everything and start over.. same issue. (rebooted between each removal)

never seen this error.. Anti-virus shows no issues.

yep, went through all of these, even tried a logic tech camera.. same issue with the logic tech..

What SP level is the XP install updated to?

Did you install the software previous to plugging in the hardware? If not unplug the hardware, completely uninstall any of the software remnants, reboot and try to install the software again. Once the software is installed correctly you can then plug in the hardware.

sp 3

all up to date

have installed , before, after and during. tried it all. used the Windows Cleaning tool to remove all traceses of an install. then go the gambit again

The error

"there is not enough storage to install the driver."

is really throwing me.. never see this error?

just to test this only happens with audio drivers, look in Sys32 and guess what driver is there.. install any other type of device no issues.

• 4 months later...

sp 3

all up to date

have installed , before, after and during. tried it all. used the Windows Cleaning tool to remove all traceses of an install. then go the gambit again

The error

"there is not enough storage to install the driver."

is really throwing me.. never see this error?

just to test this only happens with audio drivers, look in Sys32 and guess what driver is there.. install any other type of device no issues.

AAARRRRGGGHHhhhh keep clicking wrong button.

I have seen this before after a malware infestation. One of the registry keys has been altered / locked and windows installer is unable to create a new folder (temp in most cases) in the %username/appdata/ ..... .

The malware does this to prevent you from installing things like malwarebytes and antivirus but it ends up bunging up all kinds of installers.

Check your system / event viewer logs and see if you can spot a folder / path that is involved .

If I can remember the fix I will post. I think it is just a simple regedit to restore the path.

Other thing I can think of is that you are using the wrong version of the driver. Are you sure you downloaded the correct one for your OS? If you have 32 bit, the 32 bit driver?