VNC Problem: can only see desktop as root; otherwise grey :(

Good evening!

I just figured out how to start a gnome desktop as root when logging in via VNC, but I had to do a "gnome-session" command at the # prompt. Is there a way to get rid of all the other junk that is in xstartup file so that I can always start gnome, and get rid of this grey screen? I'll need some help here, because I dont wanna run root wide open like this.

any help you can give me on thgis would be appreciated......

Thanks,

Brian

Good evening!

I just figured out how to start a gnome desktop as root when logging in via VNC, but I had to do a "gnome-session" command at the # prompt. Is there a way to get rid of all the other junk that is in xstartup file so that I can always start gnome, and get rid of this grey screen? I'll need some help here, because I dont wanna run root wide open like this.

any help you can give me on thgis would be appreciated......

Thanks,

Brian

I am assuming ubuntu or some other GTK desktop with gnome..

instead of launching a root session as you did, just open the program you what with privilege

gksudo <program name>

the Gray screen is the X session so with out that you have no gnome session..

normally its hidden by the display manager GDM

you could also do a xhost + as your user and then from the root shell launch your app (I think xhost + localhost: will limit ti to only people on your machine)

and then a xhost - when done

if this is a server you should always run as a user who uses root tools with sudo or su -

This way in the logs you can see who logged in as did what. with SELinux it will show user ran this sudo command in the logs.. if you turn on the correct level of logging

hope this helps sorry..

I use NX insted of vnc as its protected in a ssh tunnel.

or use from a windows box the cygwin x server and log in with a ssh -y

then launch your app, it will show up on your screen

VNC is good for remote controlling when someone is logged in and you can see their session.. but other than that, the X server already provides a lot of tools.