particular update continues to fail

For the last several times I've updated, this update has failed to install:

"Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 Security Update for Windows 2000, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP (KB974417)

Date last published: 10/13/2009"

As far as I can remember, I've never had an update to fail. Should I worry...or should I do something in particular?

Thanks if someone has time to respond.

nancy

Terrorist, I apologize. I do not know an error #

Pete, thank you for all of those links.

I'm a bit overwhelmed seeing them at this moment,

but I'll look at them tomorrow when I can.

I kind of relaxed about this when I didn't see anything on this board,

and then a tech guy told me that I should just ignore future .NET framework updates

since I'm not some kind of developer and don't need .NET framework anyway.

Seeing all of your links makes me think I'd better start worrying again!

and then a tech guy told me that I should just ignore future .NET framework updates

He's wrong.

*google*

Very, very wrong.

Terrorist, I apologize. I do not know an error #

Pete, thank you for all of those links.

I'm a bit overwhelmed seeing them at this moment,

but I'll look at them tomorrow when I can.

Seeing all of your links makes me think I'd better start worrying again!

As JCL said, he is very wrong.

The updates are to patch known vulnerabilities; serious security holes which would allow a malicious website to take control of your computer , or gain full access via zero day exploits where they can turn off your antivirus but leave an icon in the system tray so you think all is well; then they can change the function of the X and close buttons to "install silently" and even install without any dialog box of any kind.

In the case of .net framework remote system access appears to be most common.

http://secunia.com/advisories/37006/

http://secunia.com/advisories/product/667/

http://secunia.com/advisories/product/6456/

http://secunia.com/advisories/product/14766/

So get patched.

• 5 months later...

Pete, I am just back to the BT site and am now seeing your follow up.

Just last week, I finally put SP3 on my XP desktop, and when the latest updates came out, selected them all.

There were three NET Framework updates and NONE were able to install.

I want to tell you that I read both of your responses here and really do not understand what you want me to do.

All of these links make me nervous and scare me a little. ( I went to some of them) I don't mean I don't think I should do anything about

this. You and jcl have convinced me I should, but all of this at once overwhelms me.

Can I just start by going here:

Use secunia software inspector to see if it shows as vulnerable

http://secunia.com/v...canning/online/

AFTER SCAN: I did the scan and it came back telling me that the only windows updates I needed were for

Microsoft Office versions I don't even have. I have 2002, and this is what was listed (they are for office 2003 and 2007):

Your system does not have all security related patches from Microsoft installed. Please see list below for details about the missing patches.

Update Instructions:

You do not have the following Microsoft security updates installed:

KB972580

KB951550

I guess I'll go ahead and download those updates and see if they want to install, but it didn't mention anything about the

NET framework updates.

AFTER SCAN #2

I installed those two Office updates with no problem and then let Secunia do a "thorough" scan

since I had only done the default the first time. This time, the results did not list any needed windows updates.

What do you think?

Edited by wonderent

Terrorist -- I will do this....on laptop now and had to be briefly out of town but will get this done this afternoon. Thank you.

At G4, Marsh noted that net framework 4 is out and it does not require previous versions.

I uninstalled all previous versions and installed it , and now I get an update that will not install.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Looks like they are abandoning the incremental and doing it right this time around.

Supported Operating Systems: Windows 7; Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2; Windows Server 2008; Windows Server 2008 R2; Windows Vista Service Pack 1; Windows XP Service Pack 3

Supported Architectures:

x86

x64

ia64

Prerequisites:

Windows Installer 3.1 or later

Internet Explorer 5.01 or later

The Microsoft .NET Framework 4 web installer package downloads and installs the .NET Framework components required to run on the target machine architecture and OS.

Looks like a great many improvements.

So , uninstall the old .net frameworks and just install version 4.0

Side note; I uninstalled all and installed version 4.0 and it still tries to install the update for .net framework 2.0

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0 (KB928365)

The solution is to click the + to expand the update information, uncheck the selection box and click the box now visible to not show this update again.

You will get a dire warning, but then it will be gone.

Net framework 4 appears to be much smaller than the combination of previous updates.

Maybe leave net framework 2.0 installed or reinstall it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en

Reinstalled it and they all reinstalled from windows update.

Reinstall and update took several cycles and restarts since some of the updates require that they be installed independently of all others.

Open the WindowsUpdate.log then copy and paste it's contents in a reply here. It is located in C:\Windows.

Terrorist, I'm sorry for the delay. I don't even deserve help after this long. I found the log and opened it..

Was going to paste it here since I told you I would, but after seeing it, I don't think you want all of that.

It was a mountain of logs.

Maybe leave net framework 2.0 installed or reinstall it.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0856eacb-4362-4b0d-8edd-aab15c5e04f5&displaylang=en

Reinstalled it and they all reinstalled from windows update.

Reinstall and update took several cycles and restarts since some of the updates require that they be installed independently of all others.

Thanks, Pete. Maybe I can do this! nancy

Open the WindowsUpdate.log then copy and paste it's contents in a reply here. It is located in C:\Windows.

Terrorist, I'm sorry for the delay. I don't even deserve help after this long. I found the log and opened it..

Was going to paste it here since I told you I would, but after seeing it, I don't think you want all of that.

It was a mountain of logs.

If uninstalling all versions and installing NET.Framework 4 doesn't work then post the log. I don't mind looking it over.