Mandrake Becomes Mandriva!

Mandrakesoft Announces Name Change! 2005-04-07

After spending weeks balancing pros and cons, Mandrakesoft has decided to change its name!

The name change will apply worldwide to both the company and its products. The management team sees two good reasons for this change:

1. The recent Mandrakesoft - Conectiva merger calls for a new identity that better represents the combination of two key companies and their global presence.

2. The long-winding trademark lawsuit with Hearst Corporation has reached a point where we decided it is more reasonable for us to move forward. By adopting a new name, we eliminate the liability attached to the Mandrakesoft name and we can focus on what is important to us: developing and delivering great technology and solutions to both our customers and our user community.

We will endeavor to build even stronger brand recognition in our new name. So what is the new name?

The winner is ...

M A N D R I V A

Why Mandriva? This new name, simple and efficient, is the synthesis of Mandrakesoft and Conectiva. This will further a smooth transition and will build on our existing brand recognition in the IT world.

* Company & Products

Mandriva is the new name for the company. Mandriva Linux is the new name covering products.

Additional derivations follow directly: Mandriva Club, Mandriva Store, Mandriva Expert and so on.

* Websites

Our web addresses become accordingly:

http://www.mandriva.com for the corporation

http://www.mandrivalinux.com for the community project

http://www.mandrivastore.com for the online Store

http://www.mandrivaclub.com for the Club

http://www.mandrivaexpert.com for the web-based support platform

We encourage everyone - users, partners, and the media - to start using the new name as soon as possible. In particular, Mandriva users are encouraged to update their bookmarks ASAP! New Mandriva logos are now available on our website at:

http://www.mandriva.com/company/press

The Mandriva Management Team

About Mandriva

Mandriva, formerly known as Mandrakesoft, is the publisher of the popular Mandriva Linux operating system, one of the most full-featured and easy to use Linux systems available. The company offers its enterprise, government educational customers a complete range of GNU/Linux and Open Source software and related services. Mandriva products are available in more than 120 countries through dedicated channels and also from Mandrivastore.com, the company's online store. Number 1 in several countries, Mandriva has won many awards for quality and technical innovation. "Born on the Internet" in late 1998, Mandriva has offices in the United States, France and Brazil. Mandriva is traded on Paris Euronext Marché Libre (ISIN Code: FR0004159382/MLMAN; Reuters code: MAKE.PA) and the US OTC market (stock symbol MDKFF).

http://www.mandriva.com

Sounds like a stupid name, but OK....Since it's my OS of choice, guess I'll have to get used to it. <_<

Agreed. It is a stupid name.

But I also love Mandrake.........................er Mandriva.

I'm going to be downloading Mandriva Ltd. Edition 2005 when it goes public in a few weeks.

Are you going to upgrade from 10.1, tictoc5150? :D

heh, I was actually on the mandrake...er...mandriva cooker page today, considering grabbing 10.2rc2 for my test/learning machine...decided I was patient enough to wait for it to be released.

I didn't know the next one was coming out that soon and I'll probably install it on the test machine but hold off a while on my bad@$$ box.... I've messed around a bit the last few weeks and a couple blunders had me reinstalling the / partition...you never know how much you've done for customization and tweaking til you have to reinstall... not to mention over 1GB of updates for 10.1....I'm not really in the mood to do it again right yet...lol

yeah, I know I can just upgrade but think I'm gonna do a clean install and set up my partition config a little different this time.

heh, I was actually on the mandrake...er...mandriva cooker page today, considering grabbing 10.2rc2 for my test/learning machine...decided I was patient enough to wait for it to be released.

I didn't know the next one was coming out that soon and I'll probably install it on the test machine but hold off a while on my bad@$$ box.... I've messed around a bit the last few weeks and a couple blunders had me reinstalling the / partition...you never know how much you've done for customization and tweaking til you have to reinstall... not to mention over 1GB of updates for 10.1....I'm not really in the mood to do it again right yet...lol

yeah, I know I can just upgrade but think I'm gonna do a clean install and set up my partition config a little different this time.

Hi tictoc5150,

Yes, that's what I meant to say, install.

I don't actually ever upgrade; I like to wipe my drive and do a clean install. So I'll be doing a clean install on my Mandrake box of Mandriva Ltd. Edition 2005 when it becomes available. I read in a press release that'll it'll be available later his month.

I too am becoming tired of installing distros :D

Hey hitest, we're all friends here...you can drop the formality of "5150" from my name...lol

Hell, B calls me t0c :D

I read in a press release that'll it'll be available later his month.

Yeah, saw that too...If they release it the same way as MDK 10.1 official, I'll beat ya' on this one too... :P

seems that club membership lasts a year and entitles me to download before it goes public.

Think I'll be doing my laptop first with the other 2 machines to follow shortly after....Figure doing the install on the laptop is easier than the updates I've been negligent in installing...lol

Hey hitest, we're all friends here...you can drop the formality of "5150" from my name...lol

Hell, B calls me t0c :D

I read in a press release that'll it'll be available later his month.

Yeah, saw that too...If they release it the same way as MDK 10.1 official, I'll beat ya' on this one too... :P

seems that club membership lasts a year and entitles me to download before it goes public.

Think I'll be doing my laptop first with the other 2 machines to follow shortly after....Figure doing the install on the laptop is easier than the updates I've been negligent in installing...lol

Cool.

I've been thinking of joining the mandrake club, tictoc. I couldn't download any updates with Mandrake community 10.1. Is it expensive to join Mandriva?

Yeah, you probably will beat me to it. :D

I think I will join Mandriva, they do good work, I like the idea of supporting a Linux company or two. I did buy Red Hat 9, then they pulled support for it:-)

I couldn't download any updates with Mandrake community 10.1

I kind wondered if you ever got that resolved....Seems odd, I've had no problems with adding things via command line but yeah, there did seem to be a couple bugs when doing it through MCC...I highly doubt this was an issue due to you not being a member.

Hell, that issue would probably make me consider not becoming one...lol

Is it expensive to join Mandriva?

snagged off the sign up page:

Standard Member ($5.50 month/$66 year or 60 € year)

Silver Member ($11 month/$132 year or 120 € year) Recommended level!

Gold Member ($55 month/$660 year or 600 € year)

Platinum Member ($110 month/$1320 year or 1200 € year)

I just went with standard to get a pre-public release but these are the other benefits of standard:

1) Early and privileged access is provided, before public release, to ISO images of the latest Mandrakelinux, using the fast BitTorrent technology.

2) Standard Members and above can access the previous PowerPack release and the latest Download edition in advance. And special ISOs of the Community club only edition.

3) All Members (Standard and above) have a full access to commercial applications which are normally only available in retail packs. Over 130 high-quality packages built & tested for Mandrakelinux can be installed with a single mouse click. Applications include easy-to-use web browser plugins, Java RPMs (JRE and JDK), powerful commercial applications and demo versions, software drivers, updated ATI and NVidia drivers, and lots more.

4) A special download mirror list is exclusively available to Club Members.

Comparison of different levels of membership.

I think I will join Mandriva, they do good work, I like the idea of supporting a Linux company or two

I didn't mind paying for it...almost felt like a do-gooder at the time...Mandrake was in the red at the time but I think they've been in the black for a couple fiscal quarters now.

oh, FYI...snooping around their site I found the release dates...seems that Limited Edition 2005 x86 will be released for club members 2005.04.12 ...also, I'm not sure if this applies to standard membership but says: Available for club member (1 DVD, 6 CDs)...I'm betting the DVD/+3 CDs are for silver and above...however, I was able to get a 4th CD when I joined, so maybe some extras there anyway.

Thanks for the quick reply, tictoc :D

Interesting.....I didn't know the GUI was buggy for Mandrake updates, that could explain my inability to get updates or maybe I've @#*%ed something else up, lol.

BTW, what was the cli command you used to download updates from Mandrake? I'll give that a try. Maybe updates are limited to club members.

The Standard membership looks good, that's what I'll go with.

hey hitest,

It's not so much, downloading the updates through cli, but more setting up rpmdrake through cli so it won't look for an update site.

I've used http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ to set up all package handling including updates....the problem I think you have is that it wants to find a server on its own when first run...I think this will get you by that but I'm not sure...I had that problem sporatically back in november and also had to change download sites numerous times since then due to lousy speeds but I don't think I've had a problem in months.

I've had some good speeds from Wisconsin...So, it'd go like this

(in root, obviously)

urpmi.addmedia --update updates ftp://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/Mandrakelinux/official/updates/10.1/main_updates with media_info/hdlist.cz

Since the update source that is added on first run of mandrake update is named just that, "update_source", if it still doesn't get by setting it up, I'd try changing "updates" to "update_souce" in the code above

Oh, and if this does (by chance) work, be prepared for over a GB of security updates and bugfixes...lol

bahhh, just wait for Limited Edition 2005 x86 :lol:

what ..Pay the french!!!!..... if it was for anything but linux,,,, I would.... :D

what ..Pay the french!!!!..... if it was for anything but linux,,,, I would.... :D

LOL :D

Yep, normally I'm really cheap and will not pay diddly for Linux, I like to download, burn all of my CDs for free.

But, I think Mandrake.....er Mandriva is a company worth supporting.....along with Iccaros Linux of course.

Once in a while I like to buy some CDs or pay for software............once in a while:-)

hey hitest,

It's not so much, downloading the updates through cli, but more setting up rpmdrake through cli so it won't look for an update site.

I've used http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/ to set up all package handling including updates....the problem I think you have is that it wants to find a server on its own when first run...I think this will get you by that but I'm not sure...I had that problem sporatically back in november and also had to change download sites numerous times since then due to lousy speeds but I don't think I've had a problem in months.

I've had some good speeds from Wisconsin...So, it'd go like this

(in root, obviously)

urpmi.addmedia --update updates ftp://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/Mandrakelinux/official/updates/10.1/main_updates with media_info/hdlist.cz

Since the update source that is added on first run of mandrake update is named just that, "update_source", if it still doesn't get by setting it up, I'd try changing "updates" to "update_souce" in the code above

Oh, and if this does (by chance) work, be prepared for over a GB of security updates and bugfixes...lol

bahhh, just wait for Limited Edition 2005 x86 :lol:

Hi tictoc,

Very cool. You're link at easyurpmi worked, I'm updating my mandrake box now. Thanks:-)

Heya hitest,

glad that worked for ya' :)

did you do the others too...like plf and contrib?...it adds a whole lotta goodies to the install software list.

Nope. Not yet, I'll go try and add some more packages, see what I can get. Thanks. :D