Windows 7 upgrade wont reboot successfully

Hello,

I am trying to upgrade to windows 7 from vista. Installation goes fine until it reaches the "expanding" install. The setup gives me a message that windows is unable to successfully reboot. And it only allows me quit the upgrade setup and restart the whole process.

I have disconnected my external hard drive. disabled antivirus, removed my video card ( I am having a separate issue with my video card? maybe its related?) and i have uninstalled all applications that would require a image drive.

The Issue that Im having with my video card is that it shows up on the device manager, but when I connect the monitor cable to it the screen goes black and I receive no signal to the monitor. (I have updated the driver and nothing. ) But I have removed the video card from the pci xpress slot.

Now when I attempt to reboot my pc, it automatically sends me to the windows 7 setup screen, unless I quickly select to boot windows vista. If I dont choose the windows vista option, it gives me this error:

From the boot menu if I allow windows setup to load it gives me this message:

Windows failed to start etc..and it gives me these options;

Insert installation disc to repair computer.

File /$windows.-Bt/windows/system32/winload.e…

Selected entry could not be load because the application is either missing or corrupt.

But if i let it go to the windows 7 setup it just tells me to reboot into windows and upgrade it from the desktop.

Any suggestions? BTW im upgrading from vista ultimate

first, was vista preinstalled? or did you install it?

second, do you have the vista dvd? if you do, boot from the dvd, and at the first prompt, it will give you 2 options, 1)repair, and 2) install.

choose repair, then when you get to the dos prompt, type in fixmbr and hit enter then type in fixboot and hit enter, then exit.,

this will fix the problem of having the 2 start up options.

as for the video, open up the tower and take the video card out and reinstall it and make sure it is secure.

as for the upgrade to windows 7, did you make sure your PC was Win 7 ready?

if you had an XP machine that you upgraded to Vista and are now upgrading to Win7 that could be why you are having trouble upgrading.

now if you have the Vista Install Disc, you can do a clean install with teh Win& disc.

all you do is first save your files to either disc or another hard drive(like an external one).

then boot from the disc, and choose install. when you get to the partition section delete the partitins, then create new partition or partitioins.

format theone to install on, and continue.

during the install it will ask for a previous version of Windows to upgrade from, jsut insert the vista disc, it will get the info needed and then put the Win7 disc back in, an the install will continue.

first, was vista preinstalled? or did you install it?

second, do you have the vista dvd? if you do, boot from the dvd, and at the first prompt, it will give you 2 options, 1)repair, and 2) install.

choose repair, then when you get to the dos prompt, type in fixmbr and hit enter then type in fixboot and hit enter, then exit.,

this will fix the problem of having the 2 start up options.

as for the video, open up the tower and take the video card out and reinstall it and make sure it is secure.

as for the upgrade to windows 7, did you make sure your PC was Win 7 ready?

if you had an XP machine that you upgraded to Vista and are now upgrading to Win7 that could be why you are having trouble upgrading.

now if you have the Vista Install Disc, you can do a clean install with teh Win& disc.

all you do is first save your files to either disc or another hard drive(like an external one).

then boot from the disc, and choose install. when you get to the partition section delete the partitins, then create new partition or partitioins.

format theone to install on, and continue.

during the install it will ask for a previous version of Windows to upgrade from, jsut insert the vista disc, it will get the info needed and then put the Win7 disc back in, an the install will continue.

My PC had vista preinstalled...the thing is I dont want to do a fresh install that is my last resort. I will attempt to do the repair and see what happens...thanks.

This sounds like the vista service refusing to unload loop issue.

I posted about it on G4 and Microsoft is aware of it and has instructions for dealing with it.

Basically you forgot to disable some items you should have disabled / uninstalled prior to upgrading and it is killing the upgrade.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975253/

is one

there are a couple others similar to it.

This sounds like the vista service refusing to unload loop issue.

I posted about it on G4 and Microsoft is aware of it and has instructions for dealing with it.

Basically you forgot to disable some items you should have disabled / uninstalled prior to upgrading and it is killing the upgrade.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975253/

is one

there are a couple others similar to it.

Yea cause at first setup was telling me to uninstall applications so I uninstalled drivers that belonged to alcohol 120 and other image burn software. Along with diskeeper and I disabled my antivirus. Everything I could possibly think of and setup then did allow me to continue with the install.

So i dont know what to do right now i guess i will just wait.