Scary stuff.....I took my 15 year old daughter to the hospital an hour ago; she has classic, escalating H1N1 symptoms. She's had her first dose of tamilflu, I'll be getting her prescription for more anti-virals at 11:00 am. We're keeping her isolated from our 6 year old.

I'm frightened. :ph34r:

Unless she has underlying medical conditions, she should be OK. Everyone who's had trouble, so far, was a result of an underlying medical condition. Get better!!!

Yeah....I know she'll probably be okay. It is just tough to watch her be so ill. Four more hours and then I can get her prescription.

Thanks man! :)

Scary stuff.....I took my 15 year old daughter to the hospital an hour ago; she has classic, escalating H1N1 symptoms. She's had her first dose of tamilflu, I'll be getting her prescription for more anti-virals at 11:00 am. We're keeping her isolated from our 6 year old.

I'm frightened. ph34r.gif

Scary indeed. Sorry to hear that.

You're right about the isolation. I'd also suggest sanitizing as much as possible with a 50 ppm solution of bleach and water. That's about a capful for a gallon. Put on some protective gloves (I buy them by the carton) wet a rag with the solution and wipe down door knobs, faucets, etc. Lysol disinfectant spray is good too. And of course proper hand washing.

Keep us posted please.

Joe

I'm sure she will be fine my friend. Just hang in there and try not to worry yourself sick.

She will need strong parents to help her get through this.

I'll say a prayer for all of you.

Thank you, my friends:) I appreciate this a lot. I've calmed down a lot. Laura is sleeping soundly now; she had chest pains, muscle aches, and vomiting during the night. I suspect the tamilflu is kicking in.

Thank you, my friends:) I appreciate this a lot. I've calmed down a lot. Laura is sleeping soundly now; she had chest pains, muscle aches, and vomiting during the night. I suspect the tamilflu is kicking in.

OMG hitest, I'm sorry to hear about Laura being sick. I hope she gets well very soon. Will say a prayer for your daughter.

Keep us updated, as I'm sure you will. Take care my friend.

OMG hitest, I'm sorry to hear about Laura being sick. I hope she gets well very soon. Will say a prayer for your daughter.

Keep us updated, as I'm sure you will. Take care my friend.

Hi Barb, Thank you for your prayers, my friend!

The Tamiflu works very quickly, thank goodness. Laura is taking two pills per day for the next five days. Laura's extreme symptoms (chest pain, fever, vomiting, coughing) are fading. Laura is very tired. I'm taking the day off from work tomorrow to watch Laura. My wife will watch her on Tuesday. I know now what to watch for. I'll rush my 6 year old to the ER for a dose of Tamiflu at the first hint of symptoms.

Ohhhboy, Hitest! Hope Laura heals quickly, hope little Sis is spared and you and Mrs take care of yourselves, too! One of the kids' friends had H1N1 (she's a schoolteacher!) and she said the fatique is miserable.

Thoughts and Prayers going out your way

Liz

Ohhhboy, Hitest! Hope Laura heals quickly, hope little Sis is spared and you and Mrs take care of yourselves, too! One of the kids' friends had H1N1 (she's a schoolteacher!) and she said the fatique is miserable.

Thoughts and Prayers going out your way

Liz

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers, Liz! :) I appreciate that a lot. Thank goodness for research and development. Tamiflu is working. Yes. The fatigue is miserable indeed. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, hopefully the virus passes the rest of us by.

yo hitest

sorry to hear bout your daughter

ive only just read the thread

here in nz the swine flue is off the serious list

and i didnt realise it was still around the usa

until i saw on tv the medical usa

has warned about taking precaution

gee i hope your daughter is ok ime sure she will be

funny thing about the flue

there were only 89 deaths here

but they were all under

25yrs through other complications

which indicates they hadent built up anti bodies like the elderly

if i remember only three elderly died or got it bad

the medical association nz

said young people have attendency to resist it bad

if they dont have other health problems

so your daughter will be ok

i will be praying for her

tell her good luck from down under

and hurry and get better

marty

Hi Pat, and marty:) Thanks, my friends for your well wishes, prayers. Laura is getting better, the Tamiflu is working. Her appetite is still weak, but, she's on the mend. I'm watching my family now for symptoms. So far so good. :)

Hi Pat, and marty:) Thanks, my friends for your well wishes, prayers. Laura is getting better, the Tamiflu is working. Her appetite is still weak, but, she's on the mend. I'm watching my family now for symptoms. So far so good. :)

I am glad that things are going well for your family, my friend. I wish you all the best.

I am glad that things are going well for your family, my friend. I wish you all the best.

Thanks, buddy:) I appreciate that. :)

My niece, her husband and all three kids came down with it. I ordered them to stay clear of me seeing as the H1N1 shot wasn't widely available here and with my medical issues it would not have gone well if I caught it. They had a miserable couple of weeks as it passed from one to the other, but the storm was weathered and they are now fine. My niece is against vaccinations, believing that they cause autism. No matter how much data I sent her disproving that theory she remains steadfast in her belief.

My niece, her husband and all three kids came down with it. I ordered them to stay clear of me seeing as the H1N1 shot wasn't widely available here and with my medical issues it would not have gone well if I caught it. They had a miserable couple of weeks as it passed from one to the other, but the storm was weathered and they are now fine. My niece is against vaccinations, believing that they cause autism. No matter how much data I sent her disproving that theory she remains steadfast in her belief.

Hi TT_75,

Good to hear your niece's family has weathered the storm as well!

H1N1 is miserable indeed. My 15 year old is out of the woods methinks. So far no one else in my family has caught it........yet. If I've learned anything from this experience it is do not wait to administer tamiflu if you suspect that your loved ones have H1N1. The malady progresses very rapidly.

Good to hear that all is well.

Marty; flu season like hurricane season is reversed between NZ and the US.

Flu spreads fastest when the air is dry ; that is why mom always set up the steam vaporizer in the sick room. In humid air, the virus particles absorb moisture, grow and sink to the ground where they stick to the surface and die and are eaten by scavenging bacteria. In dry air they remain airborne and survive indefinitely until they find a victim to infect.

Most cases of swine flu are mild; especially amongst healthy folks who have weathered one of the previous two major outbreaks. The problem is mainly with young folks with healthy immune systems and underlying health issues. The immune system responds with an overwhelming white cell attack on infected cells causing fluid build up in lungs and heart tissue. This can be fatal. The rest of us, the antibodies from vaccines or previous infections slow the spread of the virus and calm the leukocyte response so there is not the deadly fluid buildup.

Pretty sure we had it here; it was going around for the last two months but is now starting to wane just as the other strains start to appear.

What a botched job the vaccine producers did this year. To little (they finally send 10,000 doses of vaccine to Dallas a city of 1.3Million after half the population had already caught it and recovered) to late.

They really need to take a look at the whole vaccine production and distribution system and do a better job in the future. It is a matter of national security and public health that such pandemics be addressed properly.

As for Autism and Vaccines; I agree TT ; there are those who want to blame something and find Vaccines an easy target.

The most recent studies confirm that there HAS NOT been any increase in Autism over the generations; just that it is now being diagnosed more frequently rather than saying that Uncle Bob is a loner who is a bit slow and does not get along with folks. The current data shows that it is almost certainly caused by a meta genetic switch which is activated by either an infection or activity by the mother during either puberty or pregnancy. Most likely this is something which has not changed significantly over the last few generations

I think this is the article I was thinking of

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/health/article6844270.ece

http://autism.about.com/b/2008/02/04/new-british-study-shows-no-relationship-between-mmr-vaccine-and-autism-whats-your-take.htm

Or it could just be bad parenting and failure to provide the necessary social interaction early enough. HMmm that explains all the celebrities who have autistic children; they ignored the kid while pursuing their career and now want to blame the vaccine industry rather than themselves.

Good to hear that all is well.

Marty; flu season like hurricane season is reversed between NZ and the US.

Flu spreads fastest when the air is dry ; that is why mom always set up the steam vaporizer in the sick room. In humid air, the virus particles absorb moisture, grow and sink to the ground where they stick to the surface and die and are eaten by scavenging bacteria. In dry air they remain airborne and survive indefinitely until they find a victim to infect.

Most cases of swine flu are mild; especially amongst healthy folks who have weathered one of the previous two major outbreaks. The problem is mainly with young folks with healthy immune systems and underlying health issues. The immune system responds with an overwhelming white cell attack on infected cells causing fluid build up in lungs and heart tissue. This can be fatal. The rest of us, the antibodies from vaccines or previous infections slow the spread of the virus and calm the leukocyte response so there is not the deadly fluid buildup.

Pretty sure we had it here; it was going around for the last two months but is now starting to wane just as the other strains start to appear.

What a botched job the vaccine producers did this year. To little (they finally send 10,000 doses of vaccine to Dallas a city of 1.3Million after half the population had already caught it and recovered) to late.

They really need to take a look at the whole vaccine production and distribution system and do a better job in the future. It is a matter of national security and public health that such pandemics be addressed properly.

As for Autism and Vaccines; I agree TT ; there are those who want to blame something and find Vaccines an easy target.

The most recent studies confirm that there HAS NOT been any increase in Autism over the generations; just that it is now being diagnosed more frequently rather than saying that Uncle Bob is a loner who is a bit slow and does not get along with folks. The current data shows that it is almost certainly caused by a meta genetic switch which is activated by either an infection or activity by the mother during either puberty or pregnancy. Most likely this is something which has not changed significantly over the last few generations

I think this is the article I was thinking of

http://www.timesonli...icle6844270.ece

http://autism.about....s-your-take.htm

Or it could just be bad parenting and failure to provide the necessary social interaction early enough. HMmm that explains all the celebrities who have autistic children; they ignored the kid while pursuing their career and now want to blame the vaccine industry rather than themselves.

I had the swine flu vaccine in '76. It almost killed me. Not sure what to do this time around. I'll ask the MD.

I had the swine flu vaccine in '76. It almost killed me. Not sure what to do this time around. I'll ask the MD.

I can understand your hesitation given your past experience. I haven't heard of any catastrophic side effects up here in Canada with the H1N1 vaccine. I think it is safe.

I think the big problem back in 76 was that a lot of folks who never had had a flu shot lined up for the swine flu shot because of media publicity.

The downside was that a lot of folks who never knew they had egg allergies , wound up getting a flu shot based on egg for the first time and had allergic reactions and many died. (well the record shows "dozens died within hours" of receiving the shot, obvious anaphalactic shock from allergic response) .This out of 40 million vaccinated; not hundreds or thousands of deaths, just a few dozen. ( In its final reckoning, the government counted 25 deaths associated with the shots.) Then the pandemic failed to materialize but another strain of flu struck and people did not realize that the swine flu vaccine they had gotten had no effect on this other strain so when they got sick they blamed the shot.

Also, initially they made the vaccine for children to dilute, but did not test it as they now do. So it failed to protect a great many of those at greatest risk.

We have come a long way since then both in vaccine production and testing; as well as alternatives for those allergic to being injected with eggs.

"Michael Hattwick, a former CDC official who tracked and analyzed the reactions in 1976, said that one in every 100,000 people developed a neurological disorder, a rate that he thinks is similar to what would be seen with other vaccines if they were tracked as carefully. The federal government ultimately reached court settlements and paid more than $90 million to hundreds of victims who said the 1976 vaccine caused neurological problems."

Probably most of that money wound up in the hands of lawyers, not actually helping those who had bad reactions. But still a few hundred our of forty million is a negligeable number when compared to the potential death toll if even one tenth of one percent die of complications (that would be 40,000 dead)

The downside was that a lot of folks who never knew they had egg allergies , wound up getting a flu shot based on egg for the first time and had allergic reactions and many died. (well the record shows "dozens died within hours" of receiving the shot, obvious anaphalactic shock from allergic response) .This out of 40 million vaccinated; not hundreds or thousands of deaths, just a few dozen. ( In its final reckoning, the government counted 25 deaths associated with the shots.)

As I recall, the vaccine still killed more people than the flu. It was probably as safe as it could have been but it was still a bit embarrassing.