OK, what's the deal with Alt+Tab in Windows 7?

My left hand is usually near the lower left of the keyboard for easy access to keyboard shortcuts such as Alt+Tab or Ctrl+mouse-click, whatever.

In previous versions of Windows Alt+Tab brought any 'hidden' window to the fore, release Alt+Tab and you're working in that window.

In Windows 7 when I Alt+Tab, sure, the 'hidden' window is shown, but when I release Alt+Tab it jumps to the back again. I'm NOT in that window. Alt+Tab, Alt+Tab, Alt+Tab and ... maybe ... sometimes ... it "sticks" in front. Some programs, Windows Media Center for example, always work, some, Windows Live Calendar for example, are much harder to get to.

Sometimes this is compounded by Windows' "feature" of bringing whatever window the cursor is on to the fore. I Alt+Tab, the window I want is shown, but as soon as I release Alt+Tab, since the cursor is still over another window, THAT window ends up in front. I can't move the cursor over the window I want because that seems to "cancel" the Alt+Tab shortcut and, again, the window I'm trying to tab away from comes to the forefront.

Is it just me? Is there some trick I'm missing?

I see that HOLDING Alt+Tab for a moment makes every other window but the one I'm trying to get to disappear, but that makes no difference in how quickly I wind up right back at the window I'm trying to get away from. It still works as described above. :(

I'm slightly confused by what you are saying but in Windows XP and Vista, you push a hold Alt, then tap Tab. It brings up a menu and stays up while you hold Alt. you tap Tab till it highlights the program you want. Let go of Alt and it should go right to that Program and if you have Vista Home Premium or 7 Home Premium or higher, you can use the Windows Key instead of the Alt key and it brings up a 3D rotating menu instead. I've never had trouble out of either.

Hope that helps.

I think this is one of the new "Features" trying to make Windows 7 more MAC like.

Probably need to read one of the tutorials on using the new Windows 7 dock and spaces or whatever they are calling it.

http://gizmodo.com/5131933/giz-explains-why-the-windows-7-taskbar-beats-mac-os-xs-dock

Instead of alt tabbing you are supposed to mouse over the dock and watch the preview and click to select.

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20090105/measuring-up-windows-7s-new-super-taskbar/

I know what you are saying. I configure several apps I use to have right click as enter; I go on the web and keep right click after I enter a search term at google for example.

Probably something I can do about it in Firefox; but is it worth the effort?