Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but here goes with a dumb question. I want to make sure this idiot box is as spotless as possible before getting SP2 and from what I read, and what Dell recommends, Adaware is a "best bet" for spyware cleanup.

But I remember reading about problems with Adaware "knocking out" IE--but never read if the problem has been resolved (I've looked) and don't remember what the fix was---soooo, will my IE work if I install and run Adaware? I'm assuming it will, but I'm a big chicken!

Also confused with running Antispystuff and turning off system restore--I've read

1) turn off system restore first, then run antispystuff, restart, turn system

restore back on.

2) run Antispystuff first, then turn off system restore, restart, turn system restore back on.

Which is the right order, or do I have to turn off system restore at all? Reading that turning it off "deletes all previous restore points", sort of bothers me, since I've had to use system restore a couple of times.

Thanks alot, Liz

Liz, in my experience (limited, but verse), I haven't had any problems installing nor running the Ad-Aware with any complications with I.E. or any other browser for that matter. Also, when i have installed, Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware, I have not turned off my System Restore either. I have about 45 Workstations on my job site, and 7 comps at home all running different OS's from 2000Pro to XP Pro and Fedora C2 and Slackware, and Ad-Aware, Spy-bot S&D, nor my CA E-Trust Anti-Virus programs have given problems.

As a suggestion, and don't hold this to me, let the experts agree first...if you don't feel comfortable running the applications, or installing the applications with the Sys Restore on, make sure you have a Restore point created before you go any further and turn the Restore Points off...

Hope this helps... B)

Heya Liz,

Ok, this is what I think.

You're very smart for wanting to make sure you have a clean system before SP2. Having a system with spyware and then installing has proved to be a bad move as it can cause problems. Make sure you have a clean system before install SP2. Very very good idea.

For antispyware programs I recommened two for cleanup. (both free)

Spybot Search & Destroy

Ad-aware SE

They work very well. I have used them for a while and haven't had any problems. Yes, Ad-aware did have a problem with their defintions but that was fixed. So you should be fine. Make sure you update both programs before running them. Now, as for system restore. You shouldn't have to disable system restore when scanning for spyware. The only time it may be needed is when you have an infection that hides in system restore some viruses do that. Its usually only done if needed. Example: You post a HijackThis log and someone finds something that can't be removed because its in system restore then we would have you disable and re-enable it.

Now, I also recommened some kind of prevention. I know you aren't infected but this link is really helpful and has great prevention tips.

How did I get infected in the first place? (Prevention Tips)

Hope that helps Liz.

Good luck! B)

B

Hi All,

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! I feel much better knowing I probably won't lose my internet connection (my kids think it is essential for their survival....) and especially explaining the system restore thing--that was really bugging me! And the extra info is great! (and feel free to keep the tips coming!) Thanks again, Liz

Just to add another suggestion...Download Spyware Blaster as well.. Always suggested when downloading Spybot Search and destroy. S/B just needs to be updated.(It doesn't scan) The two programs work together to help keep you clean. When you update S/B..just make sure you check your protections. It will tell you if anthing is not protected and there is an option that allows you to enable all protection. Make sure you do that...good luck!!

Better get moving to get it all done before Microsoft does the automatic download.

I just found a thread at G4 that the link says that MS is basically doing mandatory automatic update...by blocking anyone who has it turned off. I had heard it was to start April 12th, but maybe it has been set up to begin earlier.

G4 thread on SP2 automatic update

I imagine you have read the information for steps to do before the installation that used to be a separate sticky on G4 but is now in the "Get Your Answers Here" sticky (about halfway down). Here is a link to that one.

G4 Get Your Answers Here incl XPSP2 info

Good luck.

God bless everyone.

hi all,

Update time--Son and I installed and ran AdAware, Spybot Search and Destroy (that one sent us a little loopy, THANKS JEFF for your assistance in the chatroom!) and Spyware Blaster (that one was easy!). With exception of a lot of confusion on my part with Spybot, all went well. Glad we did it as we had a Coolweb......thing and I've read folks have had terrible problems with that. Our computer ran fine with this rascal, so we were lucky! *knocks wood*

Still have to do this stuff to the "possessed by a demon Gateway" but at least that has Windows98 so no deadline for SP2! Be prepared for questions on that awful beast, but hopefully the Dell is clean!!

Again, thank you all so much for your help, advice and encouragement with "spring cleaning". Really don't know what I would have done without you!

Liz

Liz did you get that Coolweb...thing totally cleaned out?

If in any doubt, run a Hijackthis log over in the HJT section to have the experts check your log out to make sure it is clean.

I have read about some really bad infestations over on G4 with that thing, and its often hard to remove, hidden variants. So be sure you are cleaned up from it. Good luck.

P.S. On Spybot Search and Destroy, open it and click on the red pizza pie slice icon (I have no idea why they use such a strange icon for it), then on the flourescent green cross to immunize it. That will block the bad stuff. You will need to immunize every time they update the protections.

God bless everyone.

Hi Sidekickcat,

I am HOPING Spybot S$D got the coolweb out, or perhaps it didn't fully install (thinking firewall blocked most of it???) simply because the people who wrote about it were having all sorts of problems with their computer, especially with their homepage getting hijacked and "strange" things in their Favorites file. I had none of these symptoms. But I could be wrong, and if I am Someone Correct Me!!!!

Thanks also for the immunization tip--I think Son did that because I discovered I could NOT pronounce the word "immunize" and the boys were laughing at me, but I wrote him a note to check.

Thanks!!! Liz

PS: Son did immunize the Spybot---and I do remember reading on the latest set of updates, "Coolweb...whatever-it-is" was on the list to fix. We ran it again and it wasn't there--so HOPEFULLY it was squashed, but again, if it may not be, someone let me know! Thanks, Liz