For Murtu52 Or Any One Else Who Wants To Play

ok murtu52 is thinking of making a text based RPG..

not a bad project for learning C++ or any other language

so if your game lets do this OpenSource...

first you have to plan it.. lets say a 10 room adventaure

char creation..

skills advancment

monsters..

collect items to compleate puzzles.

wow this takes me back to C64 days.. when we only had 64k of ram to write basic programs.. I remember getting my first tape drive.. sorry I regress

so the key to this is arays..

in basic if we had 10 rooms you would make a variable array of 5,5 and all room information would be indata statments.

in C++ I guess each room would be a function that contained the discripttion and items

char information should be stored as file so it can be reloaded along with saving all the varables so you have a saved game status.

any suggestions.. and it needs to start with what varables will be used and a table of objects.

then a outline of the program with empty functions .. then fill in the functions..

sounds fun yes?

:D

ok murtu52 is thinking of making a text based RPG..

char creation..

skills advancment

monsters..

wow this takes me back to C64 days.. when we only had 64k of ram to write basic programs.. I remember getting my first tape drive.. sorry I regress

in basic if we had 10 rooms you would make a variable array of 5,5 and all room information would be indata statments.

in C++ I guess each room would be a function that contained the discripttion and items

char information should be stored as file so it can be reloaded along with saving all the varables so you have a saved game status.

any suggestions.. and it needs to start with what varables will be used and a table of objects.

then a outline of the program with empty functions .. then fill in the functions..

sounds fun yes?

Well, lets get started then! This shouldn't be too hard, especially with help from all the experts and even suggestions from the entire board! just a few things:

I don't think that would be correct; a 5,5 array would allocate 25 "boxes." Closer would be to have a 3,3 array or 4,4 array.

Well, first is planning, then is programming! First, we need to figure out how the leveling process will take place, how weapons will affect stats, and of course, the world. I suggest we first make it a straight, 10 room dungeon, being very linear. Then, as we figure out how to plan this properly (and learn to code a bit better, at least for me) we can go into choosing your own path.

As i said above, how should the leveling process go about? I was thinking something like this:

Each monster has behind it a specific amount of experience points (XP). We can try to fit in XP levels, but i don't know if that will be too hard...anyway, once the monster is defeated, that XP is given to the player. You start at level 1; as you get more XP, you level up. Every level you go up the amount of XP required will double.

Sound good? Anything to add? Anyone?

Yeah I remember those C64 days and programming in basic. This sounds like fun and if I have time I will give it a try. Mind you the C64 had lots of memory after starting out with the Timex Sinclair ZX81, only 8kb to work with. Had to learn machine code to use that.

JD

i have 2 timex Sinclair ZX81 right here, one with the 8k expander (or a 8k expander) i sit sad if th eexpander is almost bigger than the Sinclair, I also have a tandy Sinclair look alike.. with a 16k expander..

ok murtu52 is thinking of making a text  based RPG..

char creation..

skills advancment

monsters..

char information should be stored as  file so it can be reloaded along with saving all the varables so you have a saved game status.

sounds fun yes?

Well, lets get started then! This shouldn't be too hard, especially with help from all the experts and even suggestions from the entire board! just a few things:

I don't think that would be correct; a 5,5 array would allocate 25 "boxes." Closer would be to have a 3,3 array or 4,4 array.

Well, first is planning, then is programming! First, we need to figure out how the leveling process will take place, how weapons will affect stats, and of course, the world. I suggest we first make it a straight, 10 room dungeon, being very linear. Then, as we figure out how to plan this properly (and learn to code a bit better, at least for me) we can go into choosing your own path.

As i said above, how should the leveling process go about? I was thinking something like this:

Each monster has behind it a specific amount of experience points (XP). We can try to fit in XP levels, but i don't know if that will be too hard...anyway, once the monster is defeated, that XP is given to the player. You start at level 1; as you get more XP, you level up. Every level you go up the amount of XP required will double.

Sound good? Anything to add? Anyone?

sorry I shoudl have explained 5,5

first I always use grid paper and draw out a my "level" or what ever.. 3,3 would be good for 10 room but I would start on a floor as follows

2,1 woiuld be the room at the bottem at the far left (why 2 this way if I move down stairs from 2,1 I would then be in 1,1)

now since not all rooms go everywhere you need alot more boxes than you will end up using as rooms.

so I use 2 - 4 as same level room that let me incrament it with a location

so if you move forward we could do this..

loc a++ ,b

or move backwords

loc a--, b

move right

loc a, b++

move left

loc a, b--

if a = 1 then they are in the baement

if a = 5 then they went up stairs..

I know this sounds wrong but its makes the main() a lot less if as you create a parallel array that holds the dicscription

so when the user types look and they are in loc (a,B)

they get a description from array room (a,B)

hope this make since as I do not write well..

but you are correct planning is the first stage of any program and good planing will help figuire out what we do not know and how to find out.

so first is a map.. drawn on a grid.. I'll post my inputs..

Well, first, as just to test our skills, i suggest we go with a very linear game. Like, there are 10 rooms. You start in room 1, each room having monsters. you kill each monster, you level up. once you reach room 10, you win the game. That way, i'll know where i stand, and you will know where u stand. After that, we can go into the dungeon system, choosing your own path; then, the exp. system will really be effective.

About the exp. system, do you want to have a character only have 1 type of hit, or multiple, such as magic? It will be a bit more complicated, but i think for the accuracy, we can have a random number generated (1-10). If that number is within a certain range, like 1-8, you attack hits. if it doesn't, it misses.

Your input?

Also, good to hear your willing to help, robroy. We could seriously use help....

About the exp. system, do you want to have a character only have 1 type of hit, or multiple, such as magic? It will be a bit more complicated, but i think for the accuracy, we can have a random number generated (1-10). If that number is within a certain range, like 1-8, you attack hits. if it doesn't, it misses.

sounds good..

I have been reading up on arrays.. I think I need some more study , but not much

I have been also working on my linux disrtobution so its split time..

You still have a working zx81, wow

I gave mine to my stepson in 1983 when I got c64 and now he makes 10 times what I make. He's a computer tech for a phone company in Norway

ya..

I also have a working vic 20, c64, c128 (with drives)

also a tandy 100 (first laptop produced) and a tandy 101

adn a few diffrent trs-80 and the atari 800xl..

also for you to know, I will have a update to my linux this week.. not the 2.6 but its has a fully working gcc now on live cd..

I also added netscape as if I don't have netscape (or IE... doesent run well in linux ) my schools server takes me to an error page.

I should of went to caollage when I was younger..

the 2.6 version is taking some time.. I have had a sussefull boot but then I added some SCSI modules and killed the entire test systems.. starting over.

I'd be glad to assist in any way I can in this. It sounds very fun. I am still in the process on learning C++, and I'm sure this project will help.

When determining the rooms and such, it sounds like you want to use arrays. Do you plan to include pointers in this area,, or any other area?

Matt

When determining the rooms and such, it sounds like you want to use arrays. Do you plan to include pointers in this area,, or any other area?

I don't know.. This is my first week in my c++ class.. I know bash, ASM, basic, some python

so if you feel we need pointer I'll read up on it..

I am learning how C++ does arrays,

when I made these things in Basic you would read data statments into a description array.

so if you typed look the prigram would print $look (A,C)

i'm taking it in collage to get my degree (yes Im the old 33 year old in class..)

this has been one of the best book I have used for c++

c++ how to program

I'm using the 4th addition..

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external...=Mozilla-search

great detail on why you do things.. and has you do things the long way first and then when you understand it gives you the short way and it easy to see what the short way is doing. and why you can do it.

Edited by iccaros
i'm taking it in collage to get my degree (yes Im the old 33 year old in class..)

your not the only one, im 28 and just started at my local comunity college last year (part time at nite)

by my current calculations itll be another 3 years or so before i get my A.S. in CS then who knows how long for my B.S. assuming i can kep my grades up.

im seriously considering finding a part time job quit my current job and go to school full time (very impatient)

good luck with college to both of you. When I graduated they still didn't have personal computers and no-one took cs. Damn i slipped up there, got a business management degree which I don't even use. I did the part time while working, man it was tough sometimes

I'm going full time and work full time (pplus two kids and a wife.. but who bragging :D )

I learned 2 things in life.

Pain is tempary .. it will stop when you die

and when you die there will be pleanty of time for sleep.

yeah iccaros thats true about pain and sleep but you need some time for relaxation while you are alive otherwise the sleep one comes way too quick

Good luck, you need it, full time work, part time college and a girlfriend was enough for me