This is for a friend who can't get online to find the answers. She just did a memory upgrade (HP Compaq Pavillion8750C), was 64MB went to 512MB and upgraded BIOS through esupport through her work computer (downloaded to a floppy). She was running Windows 98 but it crashed so she installed a corporate version of Windows XP Pro. I know she did the FAT as opposed to the NTFS (?) Any problem there? I had the same problem (application hang) awhile ago, nobody(then) knew what to say. Anyone got anything? Thanks.

first just a few questions. is it any particular program that hangs or do all of them hang or is it several of them. when it hangs does it never bring the program fully up or does it just take forever? just had to ask since most people do know i mean. did she wipe the drive before installing.

I am not even close to being a Windows expert, but would the FAT and the 512mb RAM operate together? It was my understanding that FAT can only represent so much RAM and HD memory...I may need some correcting... :huh:

Using FAT32 instead of NTFS shouldn't cause any problems.

FAT32 does limit file size to 4GB.

And XP won't create a FAT32 volume (partition) larger than 32GB, although larger FAT32 volumes can be created with other software and XP can use those.

Going from 64MB RAM to 512MB RAM does require an increase in the size of the Pagefile (virtual memory) but either file system can handle it.

One thing she might try is opening the Task Manager to the Processes tab.

CTRL+ALT+DEL will launch Task Manager.

Then she can launch one of the applications that hang.

Task Manager may show her which process(es) are holding things up.

That might lead to an answer.

Go to control panel/ system / advanced Tab/ startup and recovery box/ settings button/ sytem failure and uncheck "restart on system failure" ( take the check out of automatically restart box ) , and check the Write a system event, and the Admin alert boxes (check "send admin alert") and then check "create log file" (record of what when wrong and where). This will force a BSOD on the next crash (freezes/restarts = crashing) that posts the Stop Error Code. On the next crash write down the Stop Error Code and post that here back on this thread.

Also check in your event viewer for error messages. Go to Control Pannel/Admin tools/Computer Managment/Event Viewer/ and click on System, and see the list of Info, Warnings and errors/ click on the "error" message and post here what it says and any links it gives.