Simple Question On Int (c++)

ok I decided to really to learn how to program and not just use shells..

so here is my problem.. I add three integers together and I keep getting a negative number as answer?

anyone tell me why? I dothe same in a bash shell and get a positive number as I should. ...

I always enter 1 when asked so the answer should be 3 correct?

// this is a program for putting intagers together
#include <iostream>

using namespace std; // use this insted of a std stament for each type

// main function as required
int main()
{
       int integer1; // first integer variable
       int integer2; // next integer
       int integer3; // the third
       int sum;      // place holder for answer

cout << "Enter first integer\n"; // our first prompt
       cin >> integer1;                // Read standard input aka keyboard

cout << "Enter Second integer\n"; // our second promp for an integer
       cin >> integer2;                 // read standard input and direct it to integer2

cout << "Enter Third and Final integer\n"; // finaly.. the last one
       cin >> integer2;                           // coments can be fun.. same as above read stdin

sum = integer1 + integer2 + integer3; //time for the math, also notice that we put the answer in the integer sum
       cout << "Sum is " << sum << endl; // print sum

return 0;// report a successfull compleation
} //the end foks

never mind.. after I hit post I saw I was putting no input into integer3 as I had integer2 twice... so I had a garbage variable..

thanks anyways..

well, just a small comment on C++ in general:

If you want to have the "Hit enter to continue" thing, for iostream i believe the code is "cin.get()"

lets say you want the person to hit enter to finish the program. put that in the place of return 0 and the person will have to hit enter to finish the program. Also, i got into the habit of after inputs, putting "cin.ignore();" which means, ignore the "enter" that is going to be pressed....

just wanted to share my knowledge....

first thank you for the suggestions.. I will keep it in mind. I am finishing my degree in CIS but have found that in programing alot that I thought I knew .. I was wrong.

now one question on your suggestion, do I not need a return 0 or return exit_sucess to let the program know the function compleated correctly?

I'm not 100% new, but I'm going to a new level as I have been writing and editing for a while (mostly modifing others programs for my needs.. or all csh and bash stuff) . but I now see the need to write my own programs and so I'm starting over to really learn and not just have a working knowlage so any advice is helpfull (well ecept don't lern such and such learn this insted..as I know what languages I need for what I want to do..)

thansk agian.. :D

Edited by iccaros

no, there is no need to have return 0 because basically you are doing that manually....return 0 = the enter you hit.

If you really want to test your knowledge (in the future, i don't think i or even you can do this now) and make a text RPG....that would be very cool B)

now one question on your suggestion, do I not need a return 0 or return exit_sucess to let the program know the function compleated correctly?

Falling off the end of a function is equivalent to a return statement without a value and is only legal in functions with a return type of void (i.e. functions that have no return value). But as a special case falling off the end of main() is eqivalent to returning a value of zero.

Edited by jcl

Falling off the end of a function is equivalent to a return statement without a value and is only legal in functions with a return type of void (i.e. functions that have no return value). But as a special case falling off the end of main() is eqivalent to returning a value of zero.

ok .. so if its main I can do with out return 0 (I don't think my teacher would approve of me removing it for assinments though) or a void function (and I have to declare them as void correct?)

all others require a return status..

no, there is no need to have return 0 because basically you are doing that manually....return 0 = the enter you hit.

If you really want to test your knowledge (in the future, i don't think i or even you can do this now) and make a text RPG....that would be very cool B)

I have some text RPG I wrote in basic back in the C64 days, I just ported some to chipmunk basic as a test of the interpeter. after these classes are over I could problay port it to C or C++ with out much trouble..

ok .. so if its main I can do with out return 0 (I don't think my teacher would approve of me removing it for assinments though) or a void function (and I have to declare them as void correct?)

all others require a return status..

Correct across the board. Including the bit about your teacher :)