Well, i know, not another flash drive program post. BUt, this should be a bit harder....I recently got a flashdrive from my mom (she is a doctor who got it from a conference), but it is only 16MB. I want to put a few programs i had in mind (for high school, when i get there), but i thought that lets see what others would do first. So, what programs should i put on (keep in mind this is a 14 year old kid)?

Hi Murtu52,

I know nothing about flash drives, in fact I had to google to see what one was (you can laugh, I don't mind!) BUT I put 2 through high school and I can tell you what they used most on our computer. Microsoft Word and Google. If it doesn't already come with Microsoft Word, or a compatable program, that is the MOST important tool, or at least a spellchecker and grammar check type program. Most high schools use Microsoft systems. Depending on the classes you plan on taking, MAYBE a calculator, alta vista language translator, or periodic table--BUT those items should be already available to you at school. My son also suggested Excell or Powerpoint if you're planning on taking any Computer classes.

Something else from my google hunt--"In the case of USB flash drives, you might want to consider running a virus scan on the contents of the drive before accessing any files." High school computers are usually full of viruses and spyware. Unfortunately kids think nothing of ruining an expensive piece of machinery if it doesn't belong to them--then kids end up infecting their home computers with "plug ins" they bring home from school.

And congrats to the jump to High School--it is sooo much less frustrating than Middle School--College is better yet--everyone starts as simply a student number and you get respected for what you DO, not who you are, how you dress, etc. I'm proud of you for thinking ahead. Liz

PS--my NAUGHTY son says "put an instant messaging program on it", but I bet thats against school rules!!

yeah, thanks nerelda, i was looking into that....even though it'll take up more than 50% of the capacity, i'll need it if i'm going to use it at school...

If only i could fit an antivirus in the remaining capacity...or is that possible? I don't want school computer viruses getting onto my home computer just because of the flashdrive...

Hi Murtu52,

Glad you're making virus protection a priority. As you know, I don't know much about these gadgets, but is there a way to scan the flashdrive using the scanner on your home computer? I know my kids scan floppies used at school before they "open" them, perhaps your virus scanner has the capability to scan flashdrives?. Liz

Hello murtu. First off, congratulations on going to high school. This being my first year there, it is completely better than middle school. I personally don't have a flash drive, but several of my friends do. On the computers at our school, viruses aren't any concern, but they might be at yours. At one of the schools I go to, every time the computer is restarted or turned off, it restores the hard drive to a certain point so any files left on there will be deleted, including any viruses. I think they also have this at the other school I go to. Some of the things I've seen on friends flash drives:

Trillian

Firefox

Opera

Minesweeper (my personal fave ;))

a Japanese game

bblean

and I believe one person has a lot of other windows customization programs like one that can make any window semi-transparent.

Of course, they put homework and other things on there to finish up during seminar ;).

seeing as firefox takes up over half the space on your flash drive, I don't think you'll be able to put another important program on it as you are hoping to. Save up what you can, and try to get a larger capacity flash drive. I know for sure you could never fit trillian on that thing. I finally put trillian on mine, and it took up about 25MB (possibly more).

If I were in your shoes, with a small amount of space on that thing, I would make a folder of your favorites/bookmarks that would be of help to you at school, then export that folder to the flash drive. Then you wouldn't have to remember the name/url or do a Google search for links you need, assuming of course you will have internet access at school.

Plus you might be able to get a bigger capacity flash drive on sale, so watch the Sunday paper ads. They aren't so expensive now. Best Buy's ad this last Sunday had a 128 MB flash drive listed for $14.99 after rebates, and a 512 MB one for 39.99 after rebates. I didn't see any 256 MB ones listed, but have seen them before. Also Office Depot had a 1 GB one for $59.99 after rebates. So if you find out you will need or want a bigger one, look for sales.

Do be aware of the possibility of losing it, so don't put any private info on it that you wouldn't want someone else to get. Or perhaps password protect it if possible.

P.S, I am still trying to figure out if it is name only or if there is some real difference between "flash drive", thumb drive, and others that I can't remember the names offhand right now. HA! :rolleyes:

God bless everyone.

P.S, I am still trying to figure out if it is name only or if there is some real difference between "flash drive", thumb drive, and others that I can't remember the names offhand right now. HA! :rolleyes:

God bless everyone.

Yeah...you forgot jumpdrive! :D

Well, thanks for the suggestions, but the reason i'm trying to do it with this paticular thumbdrive is 1) Because i received it FREE from my mom; as i said before, she got it at one of those medical conferences....2) If i lose it, I wouln't be losing an expensive piece of equipment. Actually, i already have a thumbdrive, a 128MB one, i just wanted to put programs i like on this so i can take it to school, and leave my family's precious 128MB one safely at home....

I think i've narrowed it down to a few, which fortunately i can all fit in there with a few megs left. Here they are:

BBlean (blackbox window manager)

XMplay (audio player; just for fun, and just in case)

Portable Firefox (how couldn't I?!)

i was thinking about putting a really small email client on there (it would fit; its only around a couple hundred kilobytes), but then i would be really afraid if i lost it...So i'm debating whether to put it on or not...

Hi murtu52,

As far as email goes, think about a hotmail (ugh, buggy), yahoo or gmail address--accessible from any computer with internet and you won't have to put it on your flashdrive. That's what my kids use just for that reason (so they can check their mail during computer class after they finish their assignment!). Save your extra jigawatts for your homework, young'un ;) Liz