Hi, I've just installed a new motherboard/CPU and, and power supply on my pc, and at the same time i've also installed a new winxp pro installation.

Everything works fine: The only thing is that when I go to "start > turn off" and choose restart; the PC starts to turn off everything just like normal till the blue microsoft windows screen , and then it stays there. Basicaly the pc wont restart, but it turns off normaly when choosing "turn off" .

After inomerous trys I went to the component store and we find out that by removing my old tv tuner from my MO would fix the problem; everything was running great.

I came home, conected my screen, my mouse, and again "it wont reboot"

I really dont understand, it s very weird, the only diference is the my mouse and keyboard, wish are wireless:

What it could be?

thanks

PROBLEM SOLVED

one of the small metalic parts behind the MO where the screw go in, was touching the electronic circuit.

THANKS

Edited by Carl29

Hi, I've just installed a new motherboard/CPU and, and power supply on my pc, and at the same time i've also installed a new winxp pro installation.

Everything works fine: The only thing is that when I go to "start > turn off" and choose restart; the PC starts to turn off everything just like normal till the blue microsoft windows screen , and then it stays there. Basicaly the pc wont restart, but it turns off normaly when choosing "turn off" .

After inomerous trys I went to the component store and we find out that by removing my old tv tuner from my MO would fix the problem; everything was running great.

I came home, conected my screen, my mouse, and again "it wont reboot"

I really dont understand, it s very weird, the only diference is the my mouse and keyboard, wish are wireless:

What it could be?

thanks

When you click on shutdown or restart (which is just shutdown with the /r switch enabled) the first thing windows does is tell all running applications to save their data and close.

If one fails to close, you get a "program not responding " dialog box where you can choose to force it to close although any unsaved data may be lost.

Next it saves any changes to the current registry to the appropriate hive files (*.hiv) (saving your settings) .

After that it tells hardware to save its drivers and power down or load bios level drivers. If anything goes wrong here, then you get a freeze up when shutting down.

Now windows saves any remaining components and turns things over to the ntldr (the NT boot loader ) which closes things out and turns stuff over to the bios to turn off power.

In the case of the /r switch ntldr does not turn over to the bios with instructions to power down; but rather tells it to boot again.

If it freezes at this point then the problem is that the device in question failed to properly shut down and hence is not responding when the BIOS tells it to power up.

The first thing to do is make sure you have all the correct drivers installed and are not relying on windows generic drivers included on the CD. These are just intended to get a system up and running well enough that you can install the needed drivers and hardware to get your system fully functional.

Often these generic drivers fail to properly manage devices and hence do not shut them off correctly.

Make sure to get your motherboard chipset drivers.

The other thing to check is bios settings. It is generally best in XP to set the BiOS to NON PLUG AND PLAY OPERATING SYSTEM. This means that windows will assign IRQ and Resources (I/O and memory addresses) and the BIOS will remember them; rather than the bios assigning them and windows working with what it gets. This allows IRQ sharing and Windows Memory management.

Ah I see you forgot rule 1 when changing motherboards; remove all unused standoffs and install standoffs on all positions where there is a screw hole. I also prefer to put insulating washers at all standoffs and around each screw just to make sure that things are isoloated.