I'm being forced to get a new cell phone carrier by the end of the month.

Qworst, the carrier that I have been using for the past 16 years is abondoning their cell service.. I have two accounts with them for both cell and landline. I'll probably drop the land lines too just because they are causing me so much grief.

They had been using Sprints network for cell service and are now selling out to Verizon.

The wireless plans that Verizon offer are at least 39.00 per month for 450 minutes. My old plan was the same price for 1000 minutes. So I'm pretty pissed off.

I'll need to get new cell phones also because of the switch. I might look into smart phones if the data plans are not too costly.

Soooooo..... my question is what do you guys like? I know that all the telecom companies suck. But which one sucks the least and has the least abusive customer service? Best phones, etc.

One of my accounts is a business line although I might drop that also due to the fact that business is now non existent and costs twice as much as a personal account.

I also have FREE Google Voice lined up for two accounts. I'll most likely drop most of the COSTLY "options" from whatever phone company I get.

Thanks,

Joe

Edited by irregularjoe

All I've had experience with is Verizon and AT&T. I used to have AT&T before I moved to go MTSU. In my hometown, we didn't have 3G but AT&T picked up perfect while many Verizon people I talked to complained about crap signal.

When I moved though, they had 3G but I couldn't keep a signal on a call longer than 15 seconds. Plus they had recently jacked the price on my dad (he was getting some kind of discount they decided to take away). He decided to switch us all over to Verizon cause he got a discount through work. We got a new phones (me getting a nicer one, I love my parents), and a plan with a crapload more minutes and unlimited texting. Costs about the same or less I think. I haven't lost a single call, always get a signal and every AT&T customer I talk to complains about bad signal.

Only downside to the Verizon is the texting..... cause my parents love it. Despite the fact that I'm 21, I'm not a fan of texting.

All I've had experience with is Verizon and AT&T. I used to have AT&T before I moved to go MTSU. In my hometown, we didn't have 3G but AT&T picked up perfect while many Verizon people I talked to complained about crap signal.

When I moved though, they had 3G but I couldn't keep a signal on a call longer than 15 seconds. Plus they had recently jacked the price on my dad (he was getting some kind of discount they decided to take away). He decided to switch us all over to Verizon cause he got a discount through work. We got a new phones (me getting a nicer one, I love my parents), and a plan with a crapload more minutes and unlimited texting. Costs about the same or less I think. I haven't lost a single call, always get a signal and every AT&T customer I talk to complains about bad signal.

Only downside to the Verizon is the texting..... cause my parents love it. Despite the fact that I'm 21, I'm not a fan of texting.

Thanks HB.

From what my friends out here tell me, ATT coverage is bad. I'll look more at Verizon.

I don't text either.

Joe

T-Mobile gave me unlimited data for $6/month. If they sent a customer service rep to stab me I'd still rate them "excellent".

Really, though, I like T-Mobile. They're relatively inexpensive, reliable, honest, a bit boring, a bit anachronistic, occasionally brilliant. In a word, German.

T-Mobile gave me unlimited data for $6/month. If they sent a customer service rep to stab me I'd still rate them "excellent".

Really, though, I like T-Mobile. They're relatively inexpensive, reliable, honest, a bit boring, a bit anachronistic, occasionally brilliant. In a word, German.

Thanks jcl.

Have you read about this?

Have you read about this?

Yeah. As I understand the situation it was entirely was Danger's fault. T-Mobile sold the handsets and the network service but Danger was responsible for the data.

It's probably too much to hope that this will lead to people to reconsider trusting the cloud with their data.

I haven't had any issues with AT&T in my area. The only dead spot I found was sitting in the Elk's Lodge here. I kind of expected that due to the building used to be a steel constructed warehouse. Looking at coverage maps AT&T, Verizon and Cricket show excellent coverage within your area.

My rarely used cellphone is a "free with rebate" Tracfone, butttttt my kids have "real cellphones" and this is what I've learned so far:

DO ask your neighbors about which companies work well in your area. Verizon works well here but my Sis in KY had lousy service with them. She is using Sprint? I think? and when she's here in MI she has bad reception problems.

Kids went with Verizon solely because 90% of their friends had Verizon and members can call and text eachother free.

The local Verizon Store is always packed and many folks have to wait 2 hours to get waited on. This can be alleviated by purely calling ahead and making an appointment (thanks to a savvy salesperson's advice!)

Son had two phones that had lousy service, so that group of Verizon folks following you around depends on the phone you get........I suggest calling or visiting the Verizon store to see their phone recommendations. Son got good advice that way, and finally has a phone with good reception. Don't know what kind it is, but its the type where it shows numbers if opened upright and a keyboard if opened sideways.....

Daughter looked into a Blackberry phone and decided against it because many of the features involved an extra $25 month charge. She gets free internet on campus and her apartment and has a laptop. She can internet and save $25month using the "old fashioned method"....

Liz

Edited by blim

Thanks for the replies.

I was looking at Verizons plans and phones online. I'm confused about the data plans. 5gb per month is around $80 and then you still have to pay for voice?

My old phone with Qworst cost $39 for 1000 min. and unlimited data for $10 month. Of course the "network" was very primitive.

I guess I'll go out to the stores and ask questions.

I'd really like to get an iPhone, but I can't stand ATT.

I'm also interested in the Android phones that Verizon is coming out with. But they're not available yet.

Edited by irregularjoe

Thanks for the replies.

I was looking at Verizons plans and phones online. I'm confused about the data plans. 5gb per month is around $80 and then you still have to pay for voice?

My old phone with Qworst cost $39 for 1000 min. and unlimited data for $10 month. Of course the "network" was very primitive.

I guess I'll out to the stores and ask questions.

I'd really like to get an iPhone, but I can't stand ATT.

I'm also interested in the Android phones that Verizon is coming out with. But there not available yet.

I love my iPhone and AT&T is very good in my area. Nonetheless, supposedly a little bird tweeted that the Palm Pre will be out on Verizon early next year.

B

Might want to forget the Palm Pre... if you're into Android... see this post on TechCrunch: http://www.techcrunc...motorola-droid/

That could be potentially awesome.

Also, going to move this to the Electronics forum.

B

iDon't..........very clever. Thanks for the link.thumbsup.gif

• 1 month later...

Hi Irregularjoe,

Welcome to cell phones 4 us .com, a site for mobile phones information-seekers and buyers. We help and guide you to know everything about the cell phones from various brands to models to features, which you ought to know before making a purchase. Here, at cellphones4us.com, you can compare the latest brands, their specifications, features and services. And for those who are distressed of emptying their pockets in sending the text messages have good news!! We have come up with web based free text messaging. Now, you can send your messages free of cost.

Have a nice day

HUH? Do I smell a spam?

Hi Irregularjoe,

Welcome to cell phones 4 us .com, a site for mobile phones information-seekers and buyers. We help and guide you to know everything about the cell phones from various brands to models to features, which you ought to know before making a purchase. Here, at cellphones4us.com, you can compare the latest brands, their specifications, features and services. And for those who are distressed of emptying their pockets in sending the text messages have good news!! We have come up with web based free text messaging. Now, you can send your messages free of cost.

Have a nice day

HUH? Do I smell a spam?

Looks like spam to me as well, Joe. I removed that post. Thanks for the heads-up:)