Is It Worth It? Cpu Upgrade?

if you are running windows 2000 then no.. Other systems maybe.. what is the cost.. a 2.6 should be cheep. like pocket change..

but mostly no.. no real difference.

if you are running windows 2000 then no.. Other systems maybe.. what is the cost.. a 2.6 should be cheep. like pocket change..

but mostly no.. no real difference.

Well right now it's going for $26.71 plus 5 bucks shipping, but with 39 minutes left and the price climbing, I doubt I will buy it ... was hoping I could get it cheap, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

Thanks for the input. :thumbsup:

IMHO VISTA needs every mhz it can get.. and then get some more..

if the processor was like $5 $10 I would go for it and overclock it to the max.

My rule of thumb is that if it offers a thirty percent increase in performance it is worth it unless it is a top of the line still not reached the sweet spot processor.

Under thirty percent improvement it would have to be a real bargain.

So a third of 2.2 is about 0.7 so the thirty percent point would be 2.9

But you say 2.6 is the max this is 0.4 GHz or 18% increase. Call it 20% for round number purposes.

Is a 20% improvement going to be noticeable? Probably not unless your CPU usage is frequently maxed out (check the task manager =>Performance=> cpu history. Leave it open and minimuzed and play around a bit with what you normally do. Does it remain high or just spike and decline?)

Like you said, $10-15 is a no brainer. $50? Probably better to save it towards your next PC or major upgrade project.