hi guys. it's been awhile since I've been here but I know you can help with my problem. I've been using AVG for my protection. now the latest version doesn't support winme. so I'm in need of a anti virus software that will work with winme so I can keep updated. I appreciate any help that you can give me. I'm still not ready to move up from winme. thank you.

Well, crap, that's a bummer!

More Googling brought up Protector Plus 2009 (which I've never heard of so get the Geek's opinion on that one) And ClamWin (which I have heard of but looking deeper, it doesn't appear to have "real time scanning")

Liz

Look in to AntiVir.

Edit: my bad:

Starting July 2006, Microsoft discontinued the support for Windows 98/ME. As announced some time ago on Product lifecycle information page on www.avira.com, we do not offer new versions and updates for Windows 98/ME virus protection any longer.

Yeah a ten year old OS which has not had any patches released in years is not really internet safe no matter what antivirus you have. If you are having problems finding an antivirus; it is doubtful that other software is being updated and it thus has tons of zero day exploits which will allow malicious sites to disable your antivirus, silently install software to make you part of a botnet without you even noticing anything is up and have a field day.

Best to learn linux and switch to ubuntu now; or call it a good life and retire the PC.

well thanks for the suggestions. this computer has 112 mb ram and 900 mhz processor. most linux wants 128 mb ram. I haven't been able to get any linux loaded on it. if I can make it til october I'm thinking about windows 7. avg will work somewhat if i run it manually daily.

well thanks for the suggestions. this computer has 112 mb ram and 900 mhz processor. most linux wants 128 mb ram. I haven't been able to get any linux loaded on it.

You'd need a really lightweight Linux environment. Ubuntu would be waaaay too heavy; the stupid little GNOME taskbar applets alone can eat 50 MiB (in fact, 47 MiB right now on my desktop). Unfortunately, I don't know of any 'user-friendly' distros that would be light enough. Xubuntu might work but I wouldn't bet on it.

Windows 2000 is still on extended support and your hardware exceeds the minimum requirements, but I'm not sure it'd be worth the money.

well thanks for the suggestions. this computer has 112 mb ram and 900 mhz processor. most linux wants 128 mb ram. I haven't been able to get any linux loaded on it. if I can make it til october I'm thinking about windows 7. avg will work somewhat if i run it manually daily.

To slightly allay your concerns, though the OS and other compatible software may be lacking in recent support and updates, few attacks specifically target the features of old OS's. Most new exploits will only target newer OS's and programs -- via services and features that older OS's simply never had.

I kept an old computer going as long as I could and many times I saw scan results that stated my Windows version was not susceptible to a particular new exploit because it did not contain the exploited feature.

There are plenty of exploits that don't rely on newer features of Windows to do their dirty work (especially browser-related exploits) and some old exploits, like those pictures you posted on the 'net when you were young and naive, never actually go away -- so you're not "safe" by any means, but many new exploits simply cannot target your machine.

To slightly allay your concerns, though the OS and other compatible software may be lacking in recent support and updates, few attacks specifically target the features of old OS's. Most new exploits will only target newer OS's and programs -- via services and features that older OS's simply never had.

I kept an old computer going as long as I could and many times I saw scan results that stated my Windows version was not susceptible to a particular new exploit because it did not contain the exploited feature.

There are plenty of exploits that don't rely on newer features of Windows to do their dirty work (especially browser-related exploits) and some old exploits, like those pictures you posted on the 'net when you were young and naive, never actually go away -- so you're not "safe" by any means, but many new exploits simply cannot target your machine.

"like those pictures you posted on the 'net when you were young and naive,"

Where did you see them????? I thought I had them all erased. :lol:

Actually, when I was young and naive, this was my personal computer.

Edited by irregularjoe
  • 4 weeks later...

Panda Cloud http://www.cloudantivirus.com/ may work. I have heard rumors that it may work with ME. It would be light. Threatfire http://www.threatfire.com/download/ may as well since it reacts to behaviour. It is an option anyway. Im sure you know it is time for a new PC. No need to wait for Win7 some companies are offering free upgrades to Win7 when you purchase a new visa machine. Admittedly I did not research the threatfire option very well.

Preston