The Besttechie Cafe'

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's............Heavenly (as she ducks from folks throwing cafe utensils at her. Not the forks, NOT the forks!)

Don't know how hot it got today, but it had to be in the mid-upper 80's (I'll know when I watch the news tonight). We did have a good stiff breeze today. Picked Strawberries, went to High School Open Houses, enjoyed the outside!

Yup, I love it hot and humid :wub:

Liz

It was in the middle 80's here, very low humidity. (very unusual for here) If the heat does not get you, the humidity will. Of course it is still early yet.

It was a spectacular day with a nice breeze. Picture perfect day to be outside.

post-27-1150592287.gif

post-27-1150592287.gif

someone pointed out to me that i did go a little far with posting some of the stuff about relationships and they were totally right. i don't know how or why but i completely forgot about this being a family friendly forum and no one is above the rules here. i am truly sorry, i am bound by the same rules as everyone else here ,just as i ask the same of everyone else i ask the same of myself. again i am sorry and i am going back and editing my post right now.

now that that's done i just want again to thank you guys so much for being so good to me. things have at least been going in a good forward direction for me and so i've been feeling pretty good.

yeah we've been getting some hot spots here too. i am so glad that i don't live in pueblo cause if it's really hot here then it's gota be boiling there.

That's o.k. Mac. This is a family site and we are all family here....If you need some one to vent to or just let it out. That's what families are supposed to be for. To listen to your concerns. And to say, it's all going to be O.K.

Staying in the upper 70 to lower 80 around here. With passing clouds to keep it nice and bearable.

Hi Mac....

Just wanted to say....that it's good to talk it out. We'er here to listen and to help in any way we can.

As it has been mentioned...we are family.

Take care Mac..... :)

Hitest....

Heh, you folks are lucky it is 54 degrees up here north of your border, rainy and cool:-)

Same here Hitest....we are nearly floating away with all this rain. Thinking of getting one of those rafts that when you pull the cord it inflates and park the car/truck.... :P

Hello everyone,

The weather here this month has been cool and cloudy with some showers, warm and cloudy with some showers, then finally this past week or so just nice and normal in high 60's and 70's.

But oh my things are sure changing and not for the better!!! Yesterday was 81, today to be 91, and tomorrow to be very hot, possibly 100...and Monday too...with gradual cool down next week. Yikes!!!! Waaaaay to early (usually that happens in late July or early August) to be that hot here!!! Only have air conditioners in bedrooms, so will use a Vornado fan to move some cooler air from this room to living room, plus ceiling fans.

Plus tht worst part is hubby has a late afternoon appointment way over on the far side of the metro area for an MRI exam (for his neck and back) late Monday afternoon...no air conditioning in car either...plus rush hour to come back home! May just find a cool restaurant to wait the worst of rush hour and heat out? Or go to a mall near the medical complex? Sure am dreading the whole heat thing... but of course I'm going with him!!!

Oh before I forget to mention it, am getting my new glasses in a week or so. Huge change in vision so will take some adaption time to learn to adjust to the new changes. Even with a nice big surprise of our Intel Kaiser insurance covering $200 of it, still left a balance of $260 or so to pay for new frames and glasses, plus my sunglasses, lenses only, will be about $270. Varilux(?) computerized graduated prescription on regular glasses, don't know the brand for same thing on sunglasses. Have no idea if I'll really like new regular glass frames...quite abit different but hopefully will look nice but so hard to tell ahead of time when you can't see much when you pick them out! Got the large lens type frames again so most viewing (computerized prescription adjusted) area possible. Tried to pick out nice colors on frame...and hubby was NO help on choosing pretty frames!!! :rolleyes:

Now we know that insurance will cover $200 of cost, hubby says he will get new frames/glasses this summer too. So to save some money, we may not go hunting for new dryer just yet...as long as old-timer one in rental house works. Still haven't made up our minds what to get for new one anyhow! And have decided to not get the new air conditioner for motorhome and probably wont be taking a fall vacation either so wont really need it this year.

So anyhow when I do get used to the new prescription, I have a lot of projects lined up, both on the computer and on the boards, and around the house. How bad was my vision you ask? Well I couldn't see the E, other than wavy black/white fuzz, at the top of chart with my glasses on with my left eye! So that side prescription goes from 20/475 to 20/775, right eye went from 20/450 to 20/650, and even then it will not be to 20/20 but about 20/50 for either eye. Luckily the cataracts are minimal so far as I am not a good candidate for eye surgery due to allergies to local anesthetics. The eye exam wasn't to hard on me as I had an eye Dr who also has neck and upper back trouble so very willing to adjust chair and exam equipment so I was able to survive it. Much nicer Dr than last one about 10 years ago who wouldn't adjust chair or anything and really hurt my neck and back, which is main reason why I had put off going in for a new exam for so long. But now am glad to have a good patient new Dr! And I am sure looking forward to seeing again!!!

Well I haven't had breakfast yet so guess I'd better get a move on. I watered the garden early this morning, did some wash, cleaned up kitchen, and then on computer which seems to have taken most of the morning...oh well. :rolleyes:

Hubby has had both breakfast and lunch. But look at all the calories I saved! Ha!

Luv ya all... :wub:

Pat

God bless everyone

Yahoo on the new glasses, Pat! It's about time, Young Lady! Are the Varilux lenses the "super thin ones"? If so, that's what I have (the eye doctor didn't give me a choice :D )

I sure know what you mean about finding large enough frames that still look good. Until I went with the "partial rimless wire frame thingies" (just fishing line on the bottom) the frames were so distracting. One thing about those ugly "owl glasses" from the 80's, the darned frames didn't get in the way! You could see everything! I see these kids with these little bitty frames and wonder how in the world they can see!

Sounds like you haven't reached bifocals yet, you lucky dog. They're really hard to get used to, even the no line ones (I still occasionally take my glasses off to read the paper, makes me feel kinda good, actually! I couldn't do that before I got "old eyes")

Glad the cataracts are behaving--I know they have to get a certian size before the doctor will do anything--my Mom bugged her doc for 4 years before he said, "OK, they're big enough to remove!" Hopefully by the time yours get big enough, fixing them won't be a risk--those ""lasers"" (had to throw some Dr. Evil in there) are getting more improved all the time.

Big Hugs to the Canadians with all the cold weather! Hopefully Pat's heat will head your way!

Spent today playing in the garden (re-arranging stuff) and being a laundry nut. Washed sheets and decided to do blankets, mattress pads and pillows, too. What is it about men's pillows getting yucky?? Mine was fine, Daughter's was fine, Son's and Hubby's had orange sweaty spots on them (which inspired me to wash pillows today!), but not anymore :thumbsup: It will be a sweet smelling sleep tonight since I hung everything on the line.

Liz

Hi Liz,

Well today was bearable, only was 90 so a one air conditioner day, but the heat wave is still on it's way up here from the Southwest for tomorrow and Monday to be 100 or more!!! YIKES!!!

Yes the Canadians should be getting a piece of it too. The map I saw the other night was for the entire Western U.S. and up into Western Canada to be hot hot hot! I dont remember ever seeing so much dark red/purple on a weather map before!!!

As for the glasses, Varilux is a computerized adjusted way to do away with the lines for bifocals/trifocals. Other brands do the same thing too. Yes I tried the Bifocal line thing many years ago, about broke my neck trying to walk down stairs, so those lasted only as long as it took for Kaiser to redo them with Varilux. I don't know if mine will be very thin, probably not with such a huge need to make up for my nearsightedness and astigmatism problems. I always hope they wont be to heavy on my poor nose! But nowadays the "plastic" is such a light weight improvement over glass glasses! Yes I too wonder how anyone can see through those slits of narrow glasses! They look similar to the kind you only need for reading while looking over the top for everything else.... maybe fashionable but not practical and not for my eyesight problems for sure! Lucky you that the "old eyes" thing is kicking in for you! My Drs said mine would eventually too, but sure hasn't yet....maybe I'm not old enough to get far sighted? Hmmmm! Mom used to hold a newspaper out as far as she could, or hang it on clothesline to be able to step back far enough to read it. (to poor for glasses except for Dad's as he was only driver!)

Regarding pillows, ours are memory foam. None washable, and hubby's Temperpedic neckroll one is disintegrating slowly with his night sweats. Our previous brand did just flake away to junk after about 3 or 4 years. The head is such a strange place to sweat, but a warning... those orange smelly spots are growing fungus or mold type problems! We have special 10 year guarantee breathable washable moisture proof covers for our Sharper Image memory foam pillows and we have one protecting our bed too. Can't remember name of the Canadian company that makes the covers, if anyone wants info I'll look it up. Well worth the money for the covers!!! I just wish we had heard about them years ago when the Temperpedic (sp?) neckroll pillows were new. The reason we have so many types, including regular cheap Target ones, is we switch back and forth on which pillow type to use depending on how bad our necks feel and what works to help us finally get to sleep.

Time to see if the air conditioner can be shut off, and house opened up and put on whole house fan before we head to bed. I'm betting the next couple or three days the air conditioners will be on for the duration of heat wave.

Pat

God bless everyone

Fungus?? Fungus?? :blink::o:blink: Ohhhh, I am SO glad I added Clorox when I washed their pillows. Fungus?? :o Oh, that's just gross. Ewwwwwweeeee. Dog-gone "Man Head" anyway.....Hmmmm, our local "Discount Store" has pillows for 60%off. Whaddya bet those guys get new pillows like......TOMORROW! Fungus? *whimper* ewwwwww! I'm a good housekeeper, really, I am, I mean, I'm the only one I know who washes pillows without a headlice scare! Fungus?? :o Ohhh, I feel gross! Wait, THE GUYS should feel gross...the GIRLS pillows were white even before I washed 'em. Nahh, I'm not going to tell them....But you can be sure I'm NEVER using Hubby's pillow again! :D

I soooo know about stairs and bifocals! Wow, it's like a thrill ride walking down stairs until you get used to them!

Serving up some iced tea for Pat--nothing cools better!

Liz

Fungus?? Fungus?? :blink::o:blink: Ohhhh, I am SO glad I added Clorox when I washed their pillows. Fungus?? :o Oh, that's just gross. Ewwwwwweeeee. Dog-gone "Man Head" anyway.....Hmmmm, our local "Discount Store" has pillows for 60%off. Whaddya bet those guys get new pillows like......TOMORROW! Fungus? *whimper* ewwwwww! I'm a good housekeeper, really, I am, I mean, I'm the only one I know who washes pillows without a headlice scare! Fungus?? :o Ohhh, I feel gross! Wait, THE GUYS should feel gross...the GIRLS pillows were white even before I washed 'em. Nahh, I'm not going to tell them....But you can be sure I'm NEVER using Hubby's pillow again! :D

I soooo know about stairs and bifocals! Wow, it's like a thrill ride walking down stairs until you get used to them!

Serving up some iced tea for Pat--nothing cools better!

Liz

Sorry about breaking the bad news of fungus/mold to you like that Liz. I had the same reaction when I was told what those 'orange splotches' were too, I think it related to the athletes foot stuff. YUCK! I love my pillow covers! Expensive (lots cheaper than the memory foam pillows we buy but the Sharper Image ones have silver which is a natural antifungal etc etc agent all the way through them to protect them too), but welll worth the cost. Anyone who sweats alot need to take showers morning and night washing hair too to get rid of the growing medium for the fungus. Oh by the way, I have marked MY pillows so not to be mistakenly used by my darling hubby ever since I found out about the fungus stuff. Ha! I wonder if that sweat and fungus stuff is a contributing factor to men's eventual hair loss problems too? Just thought of that possibility.

Well we broke a few temperature records here and around the western part of the state today, even hot at the coast. 100 or 101 here, one station said one, another said the other. To be hotter tomorrow, UGGG!!!

Say a prayer for us to survive our cross town trip to do the 3:45 pm MRI appointment. I am so dreading the trip with no air conditioning in car! Not even sure the department we are going to has it either, trying to remember the last time we were there, hot then too, and I almost suspect they don't... So poor hubby stuck in the MRI tube for half an hour or so with his claustrophobic problems too, plus possible hot temps in the building. Poor sweetheart. Then we walk up the hill to the restaurant to eat and to let the valium wear off before he drives us home in the extreme heat and in rush hour traffic. Poor sweetheart. I am so dreading tomorrow!!! But he seems ok about it so far.

Pat

God bless everyone

Edited by thesidekickcat

Poor Sweetheart Hubby! I will definitely keep him (and YOU! because you'll have to deal with him ;) ) in my thoughts and prayers!

I ranted to my Hubby about his pillow and .......he laughed and said, "well, I'm a 'fun guy'" (get it, "fungi"? *groan*) Argghhhh. Yes, I backhanded him in the chest :) He gets such a kick out of me when I act like a "sissy girl". Ha! Tomorrow I'm telling him your theory about baldness--his Dad was bald, his three brothers are bald and HE is getting quite the receding hairline. That'll get him for laughing at me. Muwahahahaha..... :D:D:D (of course I'm evil....after 25 years, I deserve to be evil, right??)

Liz

Edited by blim

I could use another cup of coffee. The dog raised a ruckus all night and I got 2 hours sleep. Now I need to wake up for my yearly trip to my transplant clinic. Major front coming in with lots of rain from the south. Just what I need during the 2 hour drive with little sleep.

What a weekend. Rap and hip hop music blaring all hours, drunk kids yelling and screaming up and down the streets, constant sirens and illegal fireworks going off, every night. I'm glad graduation is only once a year.

I hated my Varilux lenses. I couldn't get used to them when on the computer. They really sucked when I shot pool. I ended up just getitng a stronger lense so I could read. The only way they can fix my cataracts are with surgery. The cut your lense and suck out the cataract then insert a solution with a syringe plus put in a plastic replacement lense. With my immune system being suppressed that would be too dangerous for me. Looks like it's glasses for life.

We survived the 102 degree official (hotter in some places including, according to several bank etc signs where we were) temperature yesterday but sure were glad to get home to 'only' 80 degree house (bedroom air conditioners can only help just so much)!!!

Did some KMart (cool inside) shopping early on way over there, then to the mall to kill time but after checking out dryers at Sears...didn't like any there...plus their Maytags were same price as Home Depot's but without the stainless interior and way high delivery charges (which I overheard the clerk telling another couple who were thinking of buying the Maytag set...so of course I told them to check first at Home Depot...Ha!) compared to when we bought our refrig. Anyhow when we got done with that and looked for some jeans for hubby but only found one pair in his size and it had poorly done seams with raveling threads in his favorite brand of work pants compared to last fall when he bought some. Sure hope it isn't brand wide poor quality but only one shipment.

So went on out into the mall but so hot in main mall aisles plus couldn't think of any store we really wanted to go to as we both dislike malls big time!

Then decided to go on over to the hospital early which was good because we got lost in hospital before and after appt...poor signs! But was good timing because they took him right in because someone else didn't show up, so he was all done about 20 minutes before his appointment time would have been!!! We had called early in morning to check if anyone had cancelled that we could up the appt time but no luck...so we just got lucky by arriving so early, plus yes the place was air conditioned and no that part hadn't been 3 years ago! No valuim this time so no delay to wear it off, so poor claustrophobic hubby was definitely glad to be out of that machine after about 30 or 40 minutes of it.

Drove down further to Izzy's buffet instead of one across from hospital that looked harder to get to, had a real nice dinner. Love senior discounts...only good part of getting older I think!

Then on way home saw a cop around when needed to catch an SUV barreling down a left turn lane and through a red light to do his turn. We were second car behind a cop at the facing intersection and our light to go straight ahead had just turned green, so the SUV definitely had a red light to turn. Defintely a no-no to run a light in front of a cop, especially on a hot day with patience being in short supply. So cop had lights/siren on immediately but had to wait for pedistrian to jump back to curb before he could turn and go after the SUV who luckily had decided to pull into a store parking lot after lights/siren. For once there was a cop around when needed!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Today is quite a bit cooler, started out like it would be bad but cooler temps at coast and wind shifting to bring some of that cooler marine air over coastal mountains is moderating temps to about 90 today and to be low 80's for rest of week. Yea!!! Even our tv stations had trouble with transmitters etc. I bet we broke power usage records too. I'm surprised we didn't have brownouts and outages like we usually do in such extreme heat.

So what is going on with the crazy weather? Extra hot here in NW and broke all sorts of records in several places both Sunday and yesterday, not just date records but month ones too. Plus so much rain on east coast, with all that flooding...strange start to summer for everyone it seems.

I'd better end this longwinded post before everyone falls asleep reading it. Thanks for the prayers everyone.

Pat

God bless everyone

(comes out of the basement by way of through the couch)

(climbs out of the couch)

(hugs everyone in the cafe')

(hugs thesidekitcat twice for good measure)

(grabs an icetea from the fridge)

(yawns and scratches butt)

"AAAAHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh!!!"

well i'm going back to bed, it's too hot to do anything right now"

(climbs back into the nice cool couch)

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!! zzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!! zzzzzzzzzzzz!!!!!

Hey look everybody!!! Look at my great avatar folks!!!

A handplane designer original!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

He made it for me about the time I had that bad fall, but because of my eyesight problems I didn't know, and was dreading trying to see how, what to do with it and so was postponing dealing with figuring it all out until after I got new glasses. But then he made it so easy for me today that I was able to put it up now without any problems and on first try!!! Now that's a first for me to get something right on first try!!!

God bless handplane for his kindness!!! And big hugs to him!!! :wub::wub:

I am grinning from ear to ear over finally having an avatar, especially a handplane original!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Wait until hubby sees my neat new avatar!!! Yea Yea Yea!!! Wooohooo!!! Hooray I have a great avatar!!!

Thanks again handplane!!!! I really apppreciate it. :wub:

P.S. Hubby just got home and I showed my fancy avatar to him and now he's grinning too, and said he really likes it too!!! He said it's a good match for Sidekickcat!!!

Pat

God bless everyone

Edited by thesidekickcat

Love the avatar, Pat! Handplane and TicToc are my "visual goodies heroes", too! Sooo talented.

Portland Oregon made the local news for being so hot and breaking all sorts of records. Knowing your normal temperature, I bet folks were melting!

At least Hubby's jeans aren't holey and pre-worn like the kids jeans are nowadays. Daughter's been buying her jeans at Goodwill--she likes to wear them out herself :thumbsup: With Son, I lucked out and found a bunch of his favorite brand at another thriftstore--without holes, and he's still working on them. SOOO nice when kids finally quit growing and can actually wear out clothes instead of outgrow them. Now, Hubby's been outgrowing his once again--second childhood? Don't think so :D

Doesn't it feel great when a bad driver actually gets caught??

Hiya, Macmarauder! *bigwave* Glad you didn't do the Tom Cruise Jump on the couch.

Argghhh, been dealing with vehicle problems....we go in streaks. First the truck, then the car, and once again tonight, the car again. All within the past 10 days. Worse yet, I'm afraid Hubby's going to want a new car because he's losing faith in the car we have now. 2 kids in college, I'm NOT willing to purchase another car--I want to hang onto what little money we have in case the kids need it! I'm afraid I'm going to lose this battle. Oh, well, looks like a job hunt is in the near future for me--Hubby will get paid back. When I work, HE gets laundry duty :thumbsup: .

Liz

I am still beat from Monday. As I drove to Rochester I ran into road work. They had a one lane five mile stretch with reduced 45 mph speed limit. I creeped four miles with no crew or equipment in sight. The last quarter mile had about six workers patching cracks with asphalt. About one thousand feet from my exit for the hospital there was a sign saying it was closed due to construction. I had to detour through the side streets of Rochester. What a bunch of fun that was will all the confused drivers that have never gotten lost on the crappy highways and streets of that city. I ended up being fifteen minutes late which allowed about three others to get ahead of me. All the chairs were taken so I sat on a lousy designed wooden bench for four hours before I got to see my surgeons. Due to arriving late and then not getting out at the planned time I hit rush hour on the way home. Oh joy, more confused fools trying to find their way through the detours. I finally got home at 5:30 PM.

TT, I am so sorry you had such a hard time with trip to the Dr's. I hope they gave you a good report, especially after all that trouble!!! Seems like when a person is tired out that everything seems to go wrong with whatever we try to do, just to compound our tiredness trying to deal with it all. Going to the Drs is tiring enough without road construction and detours etc, so take it easy and rest up this week. Also I sure hope your cataracts don't worsen since it would be dangerous for you to have surgery on them too.

Liz, glad you like my special new avatar! I am so happy about finally having one and never thought I'd have one that seemed so right!!! Handplane sure matched it up to me, or rather to my little Siamese cat.

Sounds like your hubby cracks jokes as bad as mine does. While I'm thinking about pillows again (due to your hubby's joking) I wanted to tell you how to try to keep the nasty "fungi" stuff in check, air out the pillows and bedding everyday! Rather than making bed right away, throw the covers back and maybe up on a chair or something to air out bedding and bed, and lean pillows up against headboard/wall to get more air to them, or since you have a clothesline hang them out on line often. Or alternate pillows (get two per person), like a person does with workboots or shoes, to air them out and dry them out.

Gee I didn't know we made national news with our hot weather, but it is unusual for us and did break records for this early in year. Yep it did feel like we were melting especially about the time we hit the mall so from there on it only got worse. Of course no shade anywhere we went to park car, not even in hospital parking garage only empty spot we saw was facing an open half wall facing right into afternoon sun, but it was close to elevator to get to main hospital entrance which helped. I had an early inkling of just how bad the day would be when I tried to put on my lipstick before we left and my tube of lipstick was softening up like it was melting just from being in the hot bathroom!!!

Yeah I told hubby to just take me second hand shopping more often (on cooler days of course!), so I can find him some good quality nice jeans!!! I so hate to buy them new but he does like that one brand (Dan or Dave Taylor or something like that brand name) for some reason which is an el cheapo one that I've only seen at Sears. Looked for belts at Sears too, my goodness belts are expensive! Hubby is hard on his because he's "outgrowing" his and stretching them to hard so they fall apart. I told him to get rid of the spare tire and his belts would last longer!!!

Sorry about the car troubles Liz, sure glad we didn't get a new one awhile back since our little Justy gets such good gas mileage! The oil leak seems to have stopped and everything else seems to be ok for an old 1990 car with lots of miles!

Hi Mac, Thanks for the hugs!!! Here's a couple of hugs for you!!! :wub::wub:

I thought of a way for you to stay cool Mac, hang a hammock over an open chest freezer!!! But be careful not to fall out of hammock into freezer!!! That would be a rude awakening for sure, or even worse if you didn't wake up and froze stiff!!! :rolleyes:

Everyone in the hot part of country stay cool, if you are in rainy/flooding areas stay dry!!!

As for here, it feels so good to have it cooler today, to be in low 80's and it cooled down last night to about 55 which was great! We sure are spoiled here in NW (western side of Cascades) to have normally cooler summer temps with low humidity most of the time. But oh my the days we go to the extremes are miserable!!! We just aren't used to such high temps. Plus most people (estimate I heard the other day was 2/3rds) don't even have any air conditioning, window ones or central. Maybe only half the cars have air conditioning though I'm guessing there.

Came in here early today just to read and write a few posts, then my dialup isp started cutting me off much quicker (about every 5 or 10 minutes) than the usual 20 minute no activity rule. So called them after second time and they had me chang my access number which seems to have worked. Maybe the phone company is having troubles after hot spell.

My paper deliverer tried a new stunt today...hanging the paper nearly to rafters of my front porch, but it hung up on the Christmas multistrand dangling lights that we leave up year round. So I called for another paper...not taking any chance of falling by getting up on stored wood pile under tarp on front porch to reach up and grab the hotshot's misdirected paper...and the lady asked me why the paper guy would do that like I would know??? HA!!! :rolleyes:

I am never willingly up or awake that early and wouldn't have a clue who delivers the paper or how it arrives, unless I see the evidence hanging near the top of porch beam!!! :rolleyes:

I guess I'd better go eat a late breakfast, see you all later.

Pat

God bless everyone

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sorry i haven't been around for quite a while again. between the stoms and being busy as usual and the new girlfriend and friends and still trying to make some money with the eBay stuff until i find a job and i've been really sick the last 4 days. apparently i'm alergic to something, what i do not know but i think it was some seasoning on some shrimp at a resturant just before this all started. anyways i just wanted to say high and hope things are going well with you guys. well it's storming again so i gota go.