The Besttechie Cafe'

Thanks alot Barb,

I kind of figured it would have to be done in that order, hadn't thought of the reboot though. Thanks.

I found another useful bit of information yesterday reading back issues of PC World magazine while doing a Bitdefender online scan (clean). The Jan 06 issue had an article on Gunk Busters, mostly over my head, but part of it said there is a Windows Clean Up Utility tool that cleans up stuck or leftovers. So checked it out today.

I had previously read someplace that Symantec uses the Windows Installer, that it doesn't uninstall in Safe Mode, so was wondering how else to get leftover bits and pieces out if needed and this Windows Clean Up Utility tool looks like it would do it.

This is part of the article in PC World mentioning this tool further on down the article.

Gunk Busters Cleaning Windows

Here is the Microsoft article describing the Clean Up Utility tool with a link in article for the download of it.

Microsoft Article on Windows Clean Up Utility Tool

So I have that downloaded now, did check it out and it has about 5 or 6 Symantec things listed. So that should take care of things if needed. I just don't trust the Symantec tools anymore since the ones I used before I installed current stuff didn't work totally, plus they keep on modifying the instructions (several times in last month or so).

Thanks for help and encouragement folks.

Oh before I forget to tell you folks, we are going to be getting some of the deep freeze of arctic air the rest of Northern part of country is getting. Was low 20's last night, warmed to about 40 or 42 today, but tonight to be colder, and progressively colder each day/night from now on through Sunday at least. Worst is to be tomorrow night and Friday with severe cold, especially for here, and howling east winds coming out of the Columbia River Gorge...35 to 45 with gusts to 60. Brrrrr! That will bring the wind chill down to 10 degrees or lower....!!! Brrrr!!! I will be using the wood stove for sure!!! Didn't get any snow the other day, and probably wont this time around either if we are lucky. I will have computer unplugged for the duration just in case of power outages with falling trees etc.

Hubby says time to give cat her medicine. So will be back in a few minutes.

Ok cat medicine is done. She pretends to hate it, but really smacks her lips over the fish solution her phenobarb is mixed with.

Liz congratulations on getting all that stuff done, we haven't done our taxes yet in fact still getting some of the last (I hope) paperwork dribbling in from charities etc. Like you we do our own taxes by hand too and I hate math of any kind...!

Went down to the IRS for some publications, and they didn't have half the usual stuff on shelves...or some of ones we wanted either. Blamed it on Katrina, I said why would government printing have anything to do with Katrina...she said it was their subcontractor. Weird of the government to sub to only one outfit and that in the Hurricane zone.

Oh for anyone doing taxes, if you did an IRA look online for form 8880 with instructions attached, to see if you qualify for a CREDIT up to $400 if you are below certain income level. Nice deal to get normal IRA deduction, and an additional credit on top of it. They started credit that a few years ago.

Pat

God bless everyone

Edited by thesidekickcat
  • Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stay Warm everyone who is in the deep freeze zone of arctic air over so much of the country.

Liz I hope you and your kids, and Bozodog too, weren't in the path those severe thunderstorms today. The weather channel listed Grand Rapids in the path, and I couldn't tell how much more of your state. And hope everyone else in that zone of unsettled tornado/thunderstorm trouble is ok too. I heard that baseball sized hail fell in St Louis. Yikes, that would sure be hard on heads or vehicles.

The winds have started here, but not to bad yet. We are on warmer side of the cold so far, but not for long it looks like. Sure hope we warm up before Tuesday as forecast looks wet after that. But at least this cold part is to be mostly dry.

Stay warm folks, see you on the flip side of the cold/wind as I am unplugging in a little while.

Hugs to everyone, just because!!! :wub:

Pat

God bless everyone.

Pat, the weather was just crazy here! SIX warnings in W. Michigan at ONCE! Winter Storm Warning, Winter Weather Advisory, Ice Storm Warning, High Wind Warning, High Wind Advisory and ...get this...Tornado Watch! The weatherman said about the only warning missing was the Heat Advisory! Bozodog had 58 degrees today while I had 30 today, and we're only a couple hours from eachother (GR is pretty much right between us)

In a two hour period, we had thunder and lightning, horizontal rain, freezing rain, hail (yes, hail!) and snow! Our radar map looked like a kalideoscope, never saw so many colors! Fortunately due to the high winds, it blew through quickly, we never lost power (57,000 lost power, I am lucky!) and no trees down, but it was just nuts for a while!

The main Blessing was that the kids are safe. Aron had the day off from work and stayed home, and Kate stayed on campus, so no accidents, although there were many cars in the ditches, according to Aron's girlfriend. Gad, I hate it when the kids are driving!

Now we get to look forward to a low of 0 on Saturday morning with -20 windchills, and I HAVE to take the "nut with a walker" to the doctor Saturday morning....she moves so slow, I'm going to freeze "keeping down with her". Ugh. Even with long undies, I still hate the cold! Florida someday...someday....(as Hubby says, "as soon as my body is cold, yep, Liz will be heading South" :P)

Wow, I'll have to look for form 8880 next year (if they still have the deduction!) Didn't know about that one. I always try to get all the credits we can--we usually don't, but what the heck, it only takes a few minutes to do the "ciphering" and find out! Our income is usually just a teeny bit too high. Still makes me mad that Hubby made $3 week too much for our kids to qualify for reduced school lunches, but at least they get some financial aid for college. Oh well, I guess I should be thankful we can still pay bills. A lot of folks can't!

Liz

Wow Liz, that sure was chaotic weather for you. Am glad everyone ok.

Hubby and I survived our tip of the arctic cold, high winds, of course the wind chill made it all that much more miserable for anyone out and about. The winds were so bad, I didn't want to use the wood stove, so it was lucky we didn't have power outages at our home, though some outages elsewhere due to trees falling down on lines. I can't remember a winter, except for the 1962 Columbus Day storm, that had so many trees down from storms.

Both of us are getting over laryngitis (sp?), and assorted other cold miseries, so it was ok to have computer unplugged during cold/winds since I didn't feel like "talking" anyhow. Sure do miss everyone though when I am offline!!! The cat couldn't figure out why we were so quiet...but she settled down under electric blanket or those good electric lap robes with whoever she could con into holding her. She sure is spoiled... Ha!!!

On another note; I don't know what was going on around here this afternoon with police cars sitting around the neighborhood off and on at various places and times, then an ambulance and fire truck following a police car, then another police car showed up when the ambulance and fire truck left... ????... no "breaking news" on tonight's news so guess it turned out ok. Will call a neighbor tomorrow to see if they know what was going on. Some days it pays to be foggy, then I don't stress out over whatever is happening around here. Ha!!!

As for the IRS form 8880 for the IRA credit, you could always download the form from IRS website to check it out, and then file an amended return if it helps you save enough money to be worth the hassle.

Stay warm and safe folks.

Pat

God bless everyone.

Sounds like you've had blustery weather, too, Pat! I didn't use our woodstove during high winds, either. Either I'd stoke it and fill the house with smoke or worry about something flaming flying out of the chimney! We finally unhooked our stove when we got our new "high efficiency furnace". The drop in homeowners insurance was more than the money we saved running it.....However, this year is different! Don't dare re-hook it, though, not without insurance coverage and my luck!

And the story about all the sirens! Our area rarely makes the news, but I hate it when something wild is going on in the neighborhood and the newspaper has nothing about it. Like you said, neighbors! My next door neighbor has a police scanner and if she is running it, she knows all the "scoop"

FINALLY getting a taste of winter hibernation! It's been so quiet :) Son started his job at a local gas station, Daughter's at school, third shift Hubby sleeping all day, and a quiet schedule, it's been Heavenly. Best of all, I can clean the house and IT STAYS CLEAN, well it will until the weekend when Daughter comes home with her laundry...and she is our family slob. My goal was to start a book that I've had since Summer, but waiting till after the Olympics are done. I love watching the Olympics, Hubby hates 'em...luckily he is a Sweetheart and lets me watch them without "much" complaining (I ignore it anyways), afterall, he gets Football a LOT longer than 2 weeks every 2 years :D

Liz

Hi Mac, and everyone else too.

Liz, Barb, Bozodog, everybody....come on and join the Tickle Mac party. It's the end of February with lots of winter blues to get rid of...we needed a good excuse like this for a party!!!

If we get Mac back to being cheerful, funny, and happy then things can return to normal around here... our usual wierd but normal stuff!! :rolleyes:

Hugs to Mac, we missed you!!! :wub:

Pat

God bless everyone.

Is anyone else fighting the cold/flu bugs?

Hubby and I have been fighting some bug (we had our flu shots too) for several weeks now. Just about the time we seem to be climbing up out of it, we relapse and feel worse than we did in first place, or the symptoms just change. Yuck!!! Hubby is the sickest, and has the worst cough, has been able to keep working through out it except today. He spent last night sitting up in the recliner which seemed to be a better position for him to get some rest from it however slight. As for me, I tend to sneeze more, have more sore throat and headache problems, along with can't think straight half the time (though that may be only a bit more goofy than my usual thinking behavior!!! :rolleyes: ). We both alternate between hot and cold, of course we are usually opposite each other to make things more complicated for setting thermostats. In other words we are sick, and bored with being sick to top it off so that may be a good sign?

Sure hope no one else is fighting this bug too. Some of our friends have had it off and on for weeks too.

Pat

God bless everyone.

Hi Pat:

Sorry to hear you and hubby not feeling too good. I've been very fortunate, and so far have not gotten a cold or flu. I usually start taking vitamin C in Oct-April. Seems to work for me. :rolleyes:

Hope you feel better soon. :( Spring is not too far away. :D

Barb

Pat, I don't want to scare you. But with persistant fever and hubby needing to sit up to relieve his cough, I'd have a doc check for pneumonia. Rememeber cold virus dies out in 7 days.... Flu usually includes gastro problems too.

Take care of yourself.

Thanks for your concern folks,

Yes I have been trying to get him to go in to be checked for pneumonia, but he is so stubborn!!! :rolleyes:

He has spent 2nights sitting up in recliner to sleep now, but not as much coughing last night or today. And says he is feeling better. Starting to prowl around house looking for stuff to do this afternoon, even played some minesweeper and pinball games, and has been bugging me about what's to eat which is a good sign I think. Says he's going to work tomorrow!?! Stubborn mule!!! :rolleyes:

As for length of time to get over a cough, last year the urgent care doctor said it is whatever time it takes the body to get rid of the phlegm and sinus drainage and can be weeks with some of these bugs.

Sure am glad we had our ears cleaned out of wax just before this bug hit, otherwise we'd have ear aches too, along with sinus congestion etc.

I am not sneezing as much today and less coughing too, so maybe this is the end of this relapse for both of us. I sure hope so!!! I hope this is last relapse of the bugs for both of us.

Yes we both take Vit C year round and more in winter, or rather Ester C by Natrol.

Strange thing is that less people have been coughing/sneezing out in public for most of winter, and hubby says less at work too, compared to almost all previous winters around here. So this late season hit for several people we know, and now us, was kind of unexpected.

Thanks folks for prayers and concern for us.

Luv, Pat. :wub:

God bless everyone.

Glad to hear your "Stubborn Mule" is on the mend, Pat! When they get restless and hungry, they're getting better! I've been blowing my nose for a month...but Michigan's changeable weather is probably at fault.

19 days till Spring, Bozodog???? Oh, you're such an optimist (and South of me!) I'm still stinging from last Spring which sprung sometime in June, I think....Daughter was funny. She came home last weekend from school and announced, "What's with all the snow? We don't have any snow." Grrr. I went to the same college and remember being able to get a one month jump on suntanning :) Funny how seasons can be so different only an hour away....ahhh, Michigan!

With Daughter at school and Son working (he's taking a semester off and working at a gas station to save moolah for "the big expensive college") it's been quiet here. Whooopie!! Been catching up on chores and reviving my houseplants.

Liz

Yeah! He's baaaaaccckkk! Ah, there you are, now I instantly recognise you! Thank you :) I never made a connection with Apple, (Apple has lightning bolts?) I just look at Avatars before I look at names--that "right brain" thing, I guess (or is it "left brain"? Which side is the creative/artsy side? Bahhh, Ambidextrous folks don't know left from right!)

Liz

• 4 weeks later...