The Besttechie Cafe'

Helloooo cafe goers. I missed y'all. Sorry I dropped out for a few days. I had to tend to some business for my 80 years young mom.

But now that I'm back I'm gonna bake up some zuchinni walnut bread for everyone. So pour the coffee, break out the butter and cream cheese. It's hot outta the oven.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi everyone, I am back too. That zucchini bread smells good to me too, please may I have a slice, or two even, with my coffee?

Had some more "unsettled" stormy weather for last few days so had computer unplugged, heavy rains (for here) with power outages around town, some thunderstorm activity, cool nights etc. In other words fall has arrived, in fact it happened overnight Thursday. It had been mostly nice all Sept with only a trace or so of rain, then the last day of the month we got enough rain, 1.68 inches officially at PDX, to bring us just above the average for whole month. Many areas of the state had much more including us I think. Newport, mid coast, had nearly 3 inches in fact. Plus we have had rain or heavy showers every day since.

Been busy for a couple of weeks now rebuilding our front porch steps, had tried to repair them but to many rotten boards so had to tear it all out and start over. I was so stiff and sore and tired on that part of the job and it only got worse as we got further into the project, plus nearly got my nose broken as the top of one stringer finally gave way with me half under the porch nearly up against it due to tight space there, working on it with the wonder bar and hubby was working on the front edge of it and it suddenly gave way and knocked my glasses off and whacked my cheek and nose really hard. I think it might have actually straightened out my nose that was broken when I was a kid, :unsure: it doesn't look so crooked now, but is kind of greenish blue still. Of course I blamed hubby for giving me a broken nose and black eye! Ha Ha!!! :rolleyes: He wanted me to stop and go to Dr but what do they do for a broken nose...xray it and tell you if it is broken, then send you home with aspirin, so I saved the copay and used my own aspirin and saved the time it would have taken to go in so I could stay on the job and tease hubby for my bruised cheek, eye, and nose. :rolleyes: He owes me a good dinner or two for all that plus all my hard work on the porch steps.

Buying new boards was an exhausting ordeal at times, as we had to sort through so many boards at the nearby mill store to get good ones. Especially hard to go through nearly an entire pallet of boards for the 2 x 6's for steps, and the 2 x 12's for the stringer boards. I was totally exhausted after some of those trips for lumber. Though proud to say our little Subaru Justy hatchback carried them all with no problem. Suprised the guys at the mill store that we could get so much lumber in with little or no hangout the back. We just had to make several trips, and some were a bit awkward with the lumber clear through ( backseats laid down) under my side of the dash and hard to get the seat belts buckled. And hubby remembered fast that he needed to get the car shifted into reverse before loading lumber, or figure out a way around the back of the building with all the contractors big rigs etc in the way. When we loaded the last of the 2 x 6's, a guy in a nice big crew cab Dakota truck came over and asked if we were interested in buying his truck. I think he figured it would be an easy sell, probably would have been if it had been a pretty blue instead of black. Ha! :unsure::rolleyes:

So now we only have the last 2 x 4's to put on for middle support on the posts below handrail, finish painting etc and then we'll be done. They look pretty good if I do say so myself! Though as usual with an old house, we had to jerry rig a couple of things to make the handrails line up and be supported right. But some caulking and paint to blend it in with rest of old porch and it will look like it belongs that way. Ha! :rolleyes: The rains slowed us down quite a bit, but also gave us time to rest up or at least it did for me though hubby found lots of other stuff to putter on.

Next project is fix the dryer, which just started sounding like an entire percussion setup on every load all the way through the cycle. Checked out the problem on the handymanwire boards and found what sounded like it on thread about 20 or so pages down. Those boards are incredible for information for all sorts of home diy stuff.

Maytag dryer noises

Guess I'd better have another cup of coffee and hopefully another slice of that good zucchini bread too pretty please? while I go catch up on what's been going on around here.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Zucchini bread, watch out I'm on my way

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We need a food thread, so I can know where not to go. You guys are making my diet REALLY HARD. :D

BH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am always up for food topics...

*Hey MAC, hurry up and invent the food replicator machine...I am sure we all want to taste these delights as we list them off...*

The nice thing about the cafe food here is it is calorie free! Though I have heard people say they gain weight just looking at a cookbook or thinking about food!

I figure I am safer in here at the computer (strict no food rule for computer desk area) then out in kitchen!!!

We did the dryer project this afternoon and it is now back to being a quiet dryer Praise God. That thread (link in yesterday's post) from handymanwire with the additional links in the thread (very helpful illustrations) really helped alot. It was the blower white plastic wheel thing for our problem. New one cost $23 at local nearby Maytag parts and sales small store, might have saved more going across town but didn't want to waste gas and time to shop around.

Good website for identifying the problem with Maytag dryer

Maytag dryer parts to mouse over for descriptions

The odd looking thing in lower front left side of illustration will show the blower wheel if you mouse over it.

That is a miserable dryer to take apart and to get back together again, compared with other brands we have worked on over the years, with screws in the wierdest places, and it definitely helps to have two people to work on it. Of course we checked out other stuff for problems while in there, and we cleaned out the dust bunnies too. Took an afternoon to do it including website info reading/printouts and trip for parts.

Here is the link to the main handymanwire.com forum index. Even car repair, and gardening sections along with lots of other good stuff.

Handyman forums index

So with a bit of the money we saved on dryer repair, we went down to the local Burgerville (a NW chain) and had a fishburger and a huckleberry milkshake. Definitely worth blowing the diet for those shakes. They are soooo lip smacking, straw slurping, ummmummm, yummy, gooooood!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Pat

God bless everyone.

Hiya All!!

Wow, what a great link with the handyman's forums, Pat!! Thank you. That went into my favorites. You should post that one in "on the web" here.

Good for you for getting all that work done around the house. Hope you nose and cheek gets better fast (and blaming Hubby :thumbsup: ) I do know how that goes, though, I always get stuck working in the nooks and crannies because according to Hubby, I fit better....I think its just an excuse ;)

Been busy with kidstuff. Son got called for Jury Duty so I had to nag him to fill out the form and write a letter asking for an excuse since he is a full time student. Worked with Daughter 2 years ago, hopefully he'll get excused. And since Son is turning 21 soon, he had to get his drivers license renewed--a challenge when he is in school and workstudy from 9-5 with soccer practice afterwards. Thank God our license bureau is open till 7pm on Wednesdays. Glad the nagging is done! He's so durned busy that with those time limited things, it's too easy to let that stuff slip. Hah, he needs nagging anyways....

Daughter finally decided she wants to go into either English or Journalism so she's been busy applying to the nearest 4 year University and dealing with that stuff. At least she made up her mind (so far) and hopefully won't waste time and money changing majors, so taking a year off school has benefited (again, so far!)

And washing all the windows inside and out.....ugh. Every Fall I wish we had those "new fangled thermal windows" instead of storms, but they probably wouldn't look right in this antique house and I'd lose my remaining wavy glass. So, I've been tackling a room each day until I run out of rags ;)

Thats about it from the crazyhouse.

Liz

*Hey MAC, hurry up and invent the food replicator machine...I am sure we all want to taste these delights as we list them off...*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yea, fax me a philly cheese steak while you are at it....:)

BH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dang man. I am so jonesing for one of those now.

Spicy food, you read my mind. Thats the one thing I miss about Britain, Indian restaurants, there aren't any around here. no decent curry

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thai food can be spicy. I had a buddy that got their version of hot (thought he was tough) and drank 3 tubs of water trying to cool down. I like hot, but I have to be able to taste it. Luckily, I have a high tolerance. Jalepenos are my low end pepper.

Man, now I want some Thai! :)

BH

Ooooo boy. I don't do hot at all. All my pepper work is just for hubby. I even split some meals up so I can add his spices. I only grew jalapinos this year in the garden. If anyone has any suggestions for next year let me know. If Sweet Brit wants hot! He will get Hot!

We should put couches in here, I need a nap.  Somewhere far from the register.  Luckily we have plenty of space...:)

BH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Guys/Gals, look what I found...

**BEEP BEEP BEEP***...(backing up the Lazy-boys delievery truck)

It was abandoned...I just wired it up and now we have new furniture...

BH the couch you request can only hold 5 people...is that going to be enough to sleep on?

sorry i haven't been around much the past 2 months. i've been having a really hard time. between Ashley's death and trouble with my friends and about not having a career and the money situation and lack of a relationship and bla bla bla bla. i feel like the teacher in peanuts. "wa wa wawa waawawaw wawaw"