The Besttechie Cafe'

Ahhh, This Old House. Mine is about a 100 years old. It didn't shift through the years, it's just 3 inches out of square. (racked) Was built that way... will stay that way. The husband and wife team that built it lived in a 12x20 dirt floored garage during construction. I am the first non-family that it's been titled to. The builders raised their family in it, their son raised his here, and his adult son rented it until I bought it 30 years ago.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

waves back to blim :D

wow bozodog, don't most houses like explode at a certain age.

i hope everyone is doing well and is ready for a good weekend. well i'm a little bummed out. my local friends left today for the anime convention all weekend in Aurora. my parents are out camping so they can't visit and my little brother is spending the weekend at a friends. so i'm stuck here all by myself. funnn :mellow::mellow: well i at least i have here to post at and you guys. so i'm good. :)

Aww, Macmarauder, we'll keep you company. Don't know what kind of trouble you'd get into left all by yourself ;)

I'm surprised you didn't join your buds at the convention! Hope they bring back lots of photos.

Wish I could send you my dog. We finally got a good nights sleep (no wind, no boomers) had a cold front go through (she's been lethargic all summer because it's been so hot) and she drove me nuts all day like a kid the day after Halloween. Even a good walk didn't settle her down. But she's sleeping now.....looks like tomorrow might be a repeat of today....My kids are almost grown, and we just had to get a critter.....

Whoo hoo! Son's soccer team (he assistant coaches the HS Varsity) won their first shut-out, 3-0. And they have won more games so far this season than they have in the past 4 years. They changed coaches, yeah, the previous coach was really lousy...Anyways, it makes a pretty good statement about the previous coach and the new coach.

Liz

Yes Mac, we are here for you to talk to anytime.

Liz, Thanks for the encouragement and hugs for hubby which he appreciates. Bozodog 3 inches out of square is not bad, I don't think ours is that good anywhich direction up/down front/back or side to side.

Everytime I think about trying to line something up with something else I grumble and complain, but then eventually remember a (maybe PBS) special I saw several years ago about building houseboats where even levels wont work because of water bouyancy action under the house pontoons or whatever they are called. No leveling, use plumb bob and chalkmarks, 'eyeing' something by someone with a good eye is a must, and where even basic work such as putting up the begining houseboat framework can be an interesting endeavor. So working on old houses on firm ground seems like a piece of cake compared to those on water.

Back to our deck side posts/rails project.

Hubby did some 'caulk and fill' as I call it on one side and some on front end spot of beveled deck rail's side piece, then he did his "magic" with the angle thingamajig box and saw for the new handrail, then we got the posts lined up tight (with some of Pat's knee. hands, and foot stubborn 'persuasion') with underside of new handrail so he could screw them together tight. (Of course he painted the new stuff first.) Then added more blocks behind the posts against inset stair stringers to further jerryrig strengthen the whole shebang. Then the mid-rail post brace thing wouldn't cooperate (or look right to me) even after the fancy "magic" angle work made to fit via tape measurements, so I used my famous 'eye' to eyeball line it up right with same slant as top one, then more "persuasion" to hold it while he screwed it in tight. Then back to the weird handrail to front of deck rail side board attachment question...(thanks for idea on the joiner pieces...looked yesterday and couldn't find one to do what we needed and couldn't find anything to substitute from my stash of old parts in basement), while I pushed it into place, hubby got it screwed in at a slant and it's secure. None of it will move now, that is for sure. Some more sanding work to do here and there, and another coat of paint and it's done but that will be after it dries off after showers that are on the way tonight and tomorrow.

Speaking of weather report, I came in today for a glass of water while noon news was on and heard the strangest 'weather' prediction I have ever heard...only heard/saw part of graphics and report that scientists are actually 'predicting' a major earthquake from today onward for next several weeks. WoW! Seems that the Juan de Fuca subduction fault line off the coast of British Columbia, Washington and Oregon is making some serious noise rumbles the sensors are picking up. I don't think I have ever seen them 'predict' a quake for near short time frame like that... at least not in NW. Maybe they do in California, but not here. So I guess we will see what happens. I didn't hear anything on news tonight, and can't remember what station I had it on earlier. Checked two channels websites and nothing about it, the other one is page can't be displayed all evening, probably today's poll is overloading their server. I also checked a couple of NW earthquake sites and one talks about "slow tremors" so maybe that is what they were warning about. I hope it isn't the "big one" that has been predicted to be a 9.O. I don't even want to think of how bad that would be. I have been through a couple of high 6's, and a mid 7 (1949? I think) and that was bad enough to last a lifetime.

Dates and Info on latest "slow tremors"

Info and Links on NW and British Columbia "slow tremor" deep quake series

I love you all. :wub:

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Slow Tremors? Mac! Don't you dare! Leave Pat's house alone. Hahahaha.

Pat, I pray you don't get on "that" big. If earthquake forcasting is anything like the weather, you're safe.

Blim, I excercise my dogs by sitting in my deck chair, tossing the ball or a stick, with my hand wrapped around a cold one. (it's the dogs that need it not me)

Whoa, Pat, my prayers are with you. Daughter could not get "tetonic plates" through her head in Science Class, so I gleaned quite a bit of knowledge tutoring her (hmmm, wonder if she still remembers that stuff?). Here's hoping it stays a slow tremor and fizzles out. Better pack your breakables just in case...

Bozodog, your exercise comment made me laugh :D Usually I tell the kids, "she's your dog-go walk her", but they were gone all day yesterday. She loves "ball", too, especially when Son has friends over and they get 4 balls going at the same time (and Big Boys play rough, so she can play rough without getting in trouble, and Big Boys don't mind if she gets carried away and starts barking!) Usually that's Thursday night activities at the crazyhouse.

Rain, rain, rain, we are finally getting rain!!!! *happydance* The flowerbeds are pretty much done except for mums and fall sedum, but the vegetable garden will appreciate it and the grass might turn green again (probably just before snow flies!). Heard on the weather last night that Lake Michigan is down 3 inches. Considering how big that puddle is, that's a lot of water loss.

At any rate, it's a "laundry free day" today!! Yippie! I hang 'em out on the line, can't do that while its raining :thumbsup:

Liz

wow they're actually predicting earthquakes in the weather reports. cool! or very bad?! either they've finally gotten to the point where they can predict some of them well enough or there's been so much activity that it's obvious to them. scary thought isn't it?

just so that you practice on your earthquake skills here's the home game.

Earthquake Home Game

Earthquake.gif

So far so good here, no quakes and no volcanic activity to speak of. Maybe whatever the plates are doing will relieve the tension instead of creating more? OK I am :whistling: and it isn't even dark here! Ha Ha! But the best thing is to be as prepared as possible, then just go on with life. I am not going to let fear of the whatif's and maybes of possible future disasters keep me in suspended lifestyle here. Just like California knows about the possible "big one" wiping them out, it hasn't happened yet. And the same with the NW. It is not exactly something they can truly pinpoint yet like a hurricane or snowstorm etc. So we will trust in the Lord to take care of us, and in the meantime go on with usual activities.

I never thought about Mac and his experiments...but he is a good guy that wouldn't shake things up to badly...would you Mac? :unsure: We're friends...right???

The other news stations finally did stories on this latest plate slippage. A Uninversity geoligist here in Oregon was interviewed and he seemed so excited that this could be the big one soon....sort of like those studying the Mt St Helens volcano in 1980 and again in last year, hoping for the big blow...sigh!!! But it has been happening about every 14 months, and no big quake yet. And who knows how long it has done this before they got the seismographs in place to measure the activity??? Could be a long time cycle thing and they just found out about it in recent years.

Sort of like the "bulge" that is now being measured for it's continuing growth on one side of a mountain...Sisters I think...in Oregon Cascades. I think it was found via satellite imaging two or threee years ago, now they have on the ground sensors to see what is going on.

But the reality here is we live in a region with volcanos, mostly dormant like ones here in Portland, and in Cascades, with Mt St Helens currently active one out of all many mountains in Washington, Oregon, and California; and all three states especially on west side of mountains have many many many active and dormant and known and unknown earthquake fault lines. Just like there are hazzards in many other parts of the country it is part of what we live with in this country just like many other countries. There are droughts, floods, tornados, hurricanes, snow and ice storms and severe cold, high temperatures in desert regions etc. No one area is totally safe from disasters. But the man-made ones are infinitely more deadly. For instance car accidents kill many people each year, yet we don't stay home locked in our houses...which could still get us hit by a car plowing into our homes. So there are hazzards everywhere folks. Don't let fear take hold...I am even getting sort of used to thunderstorms finally this year!!! (Took long enough!!!) Now I just unplug the computer and go do something else when they are predicted, and many times they don't even come over us.

bozodog, that is how I exercise/play with cat...she loves strings and so I can sit here and read boards while cat plays. Of course she likes to sit in my lap and watch the monitor too, or to nap in my lap or her chair next to me.

Mac thanks for the shaking city image...whole lot of shaking going on there!!! I'll pass on the earthquake skills game, but thanks anyhow. Just need to stand under the big overhead beam on one side of our living room and PRAY!!!, going outside is more dangerous due to all the power poles and lines. Then deal with things afterwards. Not going to worry about it ahead of time, besides we have earthquake insurance (10% deductable) so if insurance companies have any money left we'd be ok financially.

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat

I want that dawg Mac, extremely rare, just a tiny bit warmed, please....!!!

Ah little pup now I have you safe and secure from Mac, I'll just sit here in "my" rocking chair in the corner and hide you away so no one can chew you up/out. I think I'll name you "honeybun" little pup. Seems to fit you just fine. Ah, So sweet a puppy!!! :wub::wub::wub:

Pat.

God bless everyone.

I can't say that I am much for hair in my food, but I love me some hot dogs...

I went to a competition once...there was over 250 HD's in front of everyone...only 3 people of the 7 finished...and of the total 7, only 1 could keep it all down...

Glad I only watched the intial start...after about the 6th dog going down I had to walk away...just doesn't seem right to eat more than one at a time...

Honeybun can have "my" rocking chair when I'm not there, and my lap when I am. Now we just need to add a doggy door to backyard, and everyone who walks the dog remember to be a good neighbor and clean up after him...plastic bags on the counter by the door...we don't want Liz stepping in anything bad when she comes out of Whiskeyman's next door! :rolleyes:

Thanks for saving Honeybun Mac and I am sure the pup will be a great mascot.

I knew you were a softy inside that genuis/inventor exterior!!! :thumbsup::wub:

Pat.

God bless everyone.

Edited by thesidekickcat
Thanks a lot for the pictures, now I want a puppy....argg. :)

Daschund?

BH

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hear you on the that one BH...but I couldn't handle a little toe bitter...I am think more of a Shepard Chow type of mix...had one a few years ago...best dog I have ever seen and owned...and would love to have another...

Well, I sure love my Dane and Boxer.. Big dogs are sweeter and more gentle. The little yappy ankle biters have what I call the "little guy syndrom". Always having to prove something.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Always thinking they are the bigger DOG...lol...it is very funny to watch!