The Besttechie Cafe'

Oohh, you bet I turn my garden under with a fork. My tiller chops up all the worms... And I want them living in there. And staggered plantings are a must. Who wants only one round of radishes or lettuce? I also rotate the placement of plants every year. Tomatoes and zuchinni always go where the peas and beans were.

Blim I do intensive planting, very close together and indeterminate varities all on trellises. Using the reenforcing 6"x6" wire from the concrete place. I buy it in 5'x10' pieces. one piece makes a perfect sized cage for 6 tomatoe plants or 6 cukes... one is big enough to grow all the green beans I can eat/give away. They last forever, mine are 10 years old.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tenmm, I'm so jealous!! I've never been west of Chicago (I know that's pathetic) and would love to see AZ. Sister in Law lives there and the kids have been there a couple of times and brought back beautiful pictures. Did you get up to Tombstone?

I'm a garden digger, too. Hubby tilled it the first year we moved here and it looked harder than turning with a shovel!

Bozodog, I plant things close, too. Tiny city lot merits it. And I discovered with the flowerbeds, if the plants are close together, the weeds can't get sunshine to grow (somehow they manage, but it helps)

I plant everything in the vegetable garden in tomato cages that I bought years ago at a yardsale (some flowers, too! They work great for peonies till they get too big, then I cut them in half lengthwise with my dremel and use two or three) They're rusty but you don't see them as easily then. :thumbsup: And the way my peppers grow on a hot year, they need the support. It was originally to keep the kids from stepping on the plants, now it's to keep the dog from stepping on the plants. She trots up and down the paths so proudly "I'm good, I'm on the paths!!" unless......she sees a squirrel. All rules are broken for squirrels.

Spent this afternoon exorcising the Possessed Gateway. We conquered reformatting!! (thanks to the great folks here!) My head still hurts......but it's done!! Geez, what am I going to nag Son about now?? He insisted on helping so he'd learn and he's been one busy boy.

Don't blow up any buildings, Macmarauder. Check in occasionally so we know you didn't hurt yourself! Invent something wonderful!!

Liz

Hi blim.

Yep,Tombstone is only a 15 min drive from here.

Had dinner in Bisbee last night,it was/is a copper mining town SE of Tombstone.

Plenty of pics not sure if I can post them thou due too a small snaffu(forgot digital camera :angry: )

My afternoon was spent in Mexico(nogales) looking for trinkets. :rolleyes:

We have a camera (35mm)it was my intention to bring the digital so it would be easy to post pics's.

(I prefer the easy way for most things) :thumbsup:

Anyway will need to do it the hard way :wacko:

Next time I will bring the didital and a laptop for storage ^_^

I have enough postcards that if I posted them the postal service would not need to raise the price of stamps for a year or so..... :blush:

Holy Shizzle guys....what is UP?!!!!? I haven't been able to sit down and chat with you'll in so long...and unfortunately i will be back and forth with everything, but I had to stop in and say hey!

Hope everyone and everything is good...can't wait to jump back on here without have too many issues keep me away...everyone ENJOY!

LIZ, you have NO IDEA...I knew it was going to be a trip, but i didnt' think i would have to start hiring a crew to run the boat...It is just crazy...we are starting to settle the fires though. I have been granted director permissions as to hiring and firing as long as my boss approves, and i have some goodies that i have been playing with while i send the JR IT's out in to the field. But I have to maintain budget for the IT dept, security updates (which includes documentation and policies and everything little thing in the book), but I love it...it keeps me busy and takes me away from the real world every once in a while...I wish I could tell you more...you would Enjoy it LIZ. I could let you have at your own part of the network, and do all the things we talk about here...and the best part is learn while having fun...and for that matter, if any one is already in the field you know what i mean, it is kinda like a game to see what you can change, tranform, experience next...it would be fun for anyone...

PS: Anyone live in the Jacksonville FL area looking for a IT---PC tech job...send me a PM or post...i'll see what i can do! ENJOY

Hahahahahhahahahahahahaha!! Oh, Vile, you're a sweetheart!, but I would definitely not enjoy it!! I was pulled into being my family's IT department kicking and screaming (something breaks and the kids wail, "Mommmmm!!") This tech stuff is more foreign to me than Algebra, and it frustrates me so because I can't get tech into my noobie head--definitely a language barrier! Maybe I'll understand it in....10 years? OK, cafe folks, can you even imagine me being a techy?!? You can laugh, you know I don't mind :D

But so glad you're finally enjoying your job and have the power to hire the good folks and get rid of the idiots! After the frustrations you've posted, you definitely deserve it!

Vile, I will mention your post to my techy nephew. He lives in Nashville and sets up networks for schools. He's brilliant with computers and I was lost when he moved to TN until I found this place.

Liz

Well, dang. Good to see you back Vile. Sounds like you have a good thing starting there. Good luck to you. You can say hi to my good friend Joanna in Jacksonville. She's a supervisor for child protective services. My sweet Brit and I will be stopping through there in the late winter. Maybe we can meet up and have lunch.

Now Blim, you have all the techie family you need right here.

Well thank you thank you...It is going great now...I have the next two days to relax until the weekend, and the next week is going to be h*ll again...it is sweet though.

So how is everyone else? I hate to be the topic of the conversation when there are so many other interesting stories to tell!!

Hi All,

Living the boring life up here, Vile. The humidity finally lifted and I can now brush my hair without breaking into a sweat! Spent today trimming overgrown stuff in the yard. Whoopie.

Because I lead a boring life, I'll retell something I just heard on the news!

There is a 6900 foot high mountain in Australia that is constantly snow covered and has 100 mph winds at the top. Aussie officials have been concerned about climbers simply digging holes in the snow for "latrines". Sooooo, they built a bathroom 400 feet from the summit. It not only has toilets and urinals, but has a bathroom with....wheelchair access. :thumbsup:

Liz

Hi All,

Living the boring life up here, Vile.  The humidity finally lifted and I can now brush my hair without breaking into a sweat!  Spent today trimming overgrown stuff in the yard.  Whoopie. 

Because I lead a boring life, I'll retell something I just heard on the news!

There is a 6900 foot high mountain in Australia that is constantly snow covered and has 100 mph winds at the top.  Aussie officials have been concerned about climbers simply digging holes in the snow for "latrines".  Sooooo, they built a bathroom 400 feet from the summit.  It not only has toilets and urinals, but has a bathroom with....wheelchair access. :thumbsup:

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Let me guess...they dug a hole in the snow and but a building around it. :wacko:

Or did they plum it in and heat it??

According to the news, it was at least plumbed!! A "real functioning bathroom". But come to think of it, I dunno. It would have an awful long sewage pipe, wouldn't it?? Ah, at least the climbers won't have to be careful where they step anymore...well, at least at the 6500 foot high mark, anyways.

Liz

amazement......................................reference to an outhouse that cost millions.....hopefully that latrine has a stereo system and wifi access:-)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure about wifi but it does have a slate roof... :rolleyes:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Definately built to last then! Cool.

Several million for a bathroom? Jeesch! They did that here in Mich., remodeled a few and closed down several. Just why they used split cedar shingles I don't know. (not the best in our climate unless it's well maintained) Musta been some fed money they had to spend or lose. Now with all the budget cuts, I wonder how the maintenance will be done. NOT!