The Besttechie Cafe'

ECCENTRIC!  Funny, I put that on a job application once, when the question asked, "how would you best describe yourself?" Got the job too.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

lol I wish I could get a job like that. last time I applied for a job, they told me they werent hiring. The next week, one of my friends got the job sc1093ss.gif

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it wasn't so great a job. Man Home Depot sure beats the hell outta their employees. Retail hours suck! Work till 11 one nite and have to be in at 6AM the next, Never two days off in a row. One Sunday off in a whole year. Leave work at 1 or 2 on Sunday and *have* to return for the monthly meeting at 7. Bleh, pay was good but never, never, will I work retail again.

WeeeeHaaa! TGIF and POETS day!!! Hot damn, and I don't have to be back to work till Wed. Regular Sat and Sun. here. But Mon. and Tues. it's off to wallow on the beach. Hope there's enough wind to fly my parafoil and kite. Ohhh, I am soo looking forward to great friends, good food and cold drinks. My bestest friend is up from Fla. with her beau of 2 years. I've never met him yet and she hasn't met my sweet Brit either. We're gonna have fun, I just know it!!!

Whahooee!!!

Off to the cabin for 5 days of beach, sun and BBQ's... :D...just the wife and I...all by our selves... ;) ..first time in years... :thumbsup:

Umm... :unsure: .... :huh: ....wait a sec. .... :o....no computer...no net....no sand pales and sand castles with the girls now that they'er all grown up... :(

What am I going to do for 5 days???.... :wacko:

(Just kidding... :lol: )

Yup...we'er off. It's been real hot here so this will be a great time for us. Just a 40 min. drive north to our beautiful National Park.

Take care people..... ^_^

Bozodog and RV, hoping you have a great time on your excursions!

Hopefully the lake will straighten out for you, Bozodog--they showed video last night on the news of a very foggy Lake MI--I was shocked! I live only a couple of miles from the lake and it was completely sunny and only a little hazy at my house. And hot. They said the cold lake temps (48 degrees in places!) caused the fog.

Ah, summer in paradise is starting to take its toll. Too many beers last night (ok, 3, I'm a cheap date) then Parents called today announcing they were going to the marina again for music and more beers and are picking me up in a couple hours. And my dad nurses one drink while buying everyone else refills before their cans get empty. Hair of the Dog today! ;)

Until then, strong coffee and donuts please, Macmarauder!

Oh! Matt, don't sweat the job thing--that sort of thing happens all the time, especially in jobs that "young'uns" hold. Someone gets fired, they're shorthanded and they hire the first person who comes in. It's just a matter of timing--being in the right place at the right time! Keep plugging, keep bugging, don't look at the newspaper ads, just go in to places and ask. Have you tried bagger jobs at grocery stores? Fairly clean work, good possibility of promotion, and you come out with a lot of knowledge in marketing and people skills. In some places, you even learn how to tie a necktie :thumbsup:

Pharmacies are also wonderful places for students to work, the "family owned" places close early enough to do the homework before good television starts and most are closed Sundays--and the pharmacists love to hire guys--"evens up the population" with all the women they work with and they have another set of muscles to lift the heavy boxes!!

Liz

"Actually, the job I didn't get was a bagging job" Heh, wouldn't you know?!? And yes, computer and tech places!!! I never gave that a thought because we have none in our area, but you'd be fantastic at a job like that!! Hmmmm, I wonder if places that have a lot of idiot boxes, like schools, libraries or offices, could benefit from a person like you? I imagine the public schools would just hire "computer repair companies", but private schools don't have the taxpayer's money to use and charter schools (are they in your area?) are struggling financially and may not want to hire a big contractor.

Once you start college, be sure to inquire at the workstudy office! Or, if there's a college in your area, it wouldn't hurt to check it out now! My nephew started as an English tutor, till they found out he had computer skills--there are so many "oldfolks" in college that are being forced to use computers and have no idea what they are doing, the college was desperate for computer tutors. He had to turn people down because he was so busy, and made $10 hour.

Havent' been able to listen to the podcast, it's been too noisy here, but when it quiets down and I get the nerve to try it (yeah, of course, I don't know how it works..) I intend on listening! The responses sure sound positive, you guys must be doing a great job.

Liz

yay! more advice. Thanks! Yeah, I live in a college town. Not sure if you have ever heard of Miami University (Ohio).. (the florida one is University of miami) and yeah, I could check around there. I have actually taken some classes there. Only HTML and othe stuff, like 2-3 years ago.

Matt

Blim, I really don't care how the weather is.. It's always great to be out there.

Monday Partial cloudiness early, with scattered showers and thunderstorms in the afternoon. A few storms may be severe. High 88F. Winds WSW at 10 to 20 mph. Chance of rain 50%. (no sunset)

Monday night: Partly cloudy with a slight chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly early. Low 68F. Winds W at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 30%.

Tuesday Sunny. Highs in the low 80s and lows in the low 60s. (perfect!)

Anyways.. at least I won't be in town or working. That's the kewl part.

Matt, of course I've heard of "University of Miami-Ohio" :) (Miami where???) Yes, you should definitely check that out, especially since you've taken classes there.

:) A beach report for Bozodog :) --it should be perfect--I could see the Lake MI channel and sand dunes from the marina today and there was just a tiny bit of fog--not enough to block any sun. :) Glad to see the report about the wind picking up--the past two days have been calm so it's been humid! I wouldn't worry about any rain, either, not with the drought the lakeshore has had. I'm with you, though, a bad summer day at the beach is better than a good day inland! Hope your Florida friend loves it here as much as we do. Hope you have a great time and a great visit.

Liz

My Florida friend was born and bred in Kalamazoo, graduated WMU w/degree in social work. Her folks own the beach house, mom(Lyn) is a retired Librarian from S. Africa, dad, (Alan) is a retired archecologist professor. I met Joanna first and became good friends with her folks as I am right inbetween them all in age.

Macmarauder, you can't be jealous, you live in Colorado, the vacation mecca!!! All you have to do is go outside and you're vacationing, you lucky dog! Although, I live in a "tourist trap" and know it sometimes isn't that great, especially when the town's population quadruples for 3 months. Traffic has been a royal pain here. I've given up making left hand turns when driving. By the way, do you snowski? (in MI, there's snowskiing and waterskiing, there is a difference!) I've never been snowskiing, but it looks like soooo much fun! Is it true that it's so warm in Colorado that you can snowski and get sunburnt?

Ah, Bozodog, yep, your friend does know Michigan, doesn't she?. A beach house??? Lucky dog!! I am lucky enough to have friends and relatives with beach houses, (I grew up a mile from the beach, but it wasn't a beach house! You know the difference!) what a great place to be in the summer (a royal pain in the winter, though!!)

Liz

unfortunately i'm not balanced enough to ski. i tell people that it's because of my giant Genius Scientist brain. i do enjoy the mountains thought but i really want to see the ocean. i've been to aspen for a few days and yes you can get burned while being around all that snow.

That looks beautiful, Bozodog. Great deck on the beach house! Good luck with those 49 steps!! Think of it as exercise to make up for laying on the beach and eating and drinking too much :thumbsup: The newspaper said SHaven has the warmest water on this side of the lake, too!!

Liz

WhoHoo! warm water. Don't think so now... had a line of storms roll through, that always stirs things up to ~COLD~

Don't matter, outta here in about 30 mins.. (Brit had to work today)

Can't ever eat or drink too much out there.. heh heh

The deck is where I usually take all my sunset pics from, or the lower deck on a dune.

Bozodog can't read this because she's gone, but the weather report said water temperature in South Haven is 74 degrees, as about as warm as Lake Michigan gets. We're at 60 degrees (2 1/2 hours north) brrrr. She sure picked a good time!

Macmarauder, you've never seen the ocean? I've only seen the ocean in Florida (both coasts!) but it's beautiful. The palm trees, the salty air, the palm trees again, warm water, more palm trees, (have you guessed there are no palm trees in MI?) --paradise-- my favorite place to be. Someday you have to go!

But I've never been west of Chicago, so I've never seen the Rockies. The pictures are beautiful. I remember a photo you posted a while back when I was bellyaching about our long winter. You are lucky to have such wonderful scenery.

Liz

Macmarauder, you've never seen the ocean?  I've only seen the ocean in Florida (both coasts!) but it's beautiful. The palm trees, the salty air, the palm trees again, warm water, more palm trees, (have you guessed there are no palm trees in MI?) --paradise-- my favorite place to be.  Someday you have to go!

But I've never been west of Chicago, so I've never seen the Rockies.  The pictures are beautiful.  I remember a photo you posted a while back when I was bellyaching about our long winter.  You are lucky to have such wonderful scenery. 

Liz

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

but that would require going outside into the bigg room and there's people there. people scare me. :unsure:

Welcome Back, Bozodog!

Hope you had a good trip. Any sunset pics to share? The sunset was "less than spectacular" here, uncooperative clouds.

And yes, Macmarauder, we'll hold your hand! You can be our own personal Boy Scout and help us cross the street :thumbsup::D

Liz

More bombs in London. Will our UK friends please check in?

Coffee and rolls being served........

(and I'd like to serve up some rat poison for the brainwashed radicals that think this is doing their cause any good)

i love listening to these rant about the UK and america like were some sort of evil Babylon that does nothing but go out of our way to corrupt and destroy their people like it's a religious crusade against them.

"HUUUUU?"

well sorry to break the news to them but until 911 most of america didn't even know who they were and really didn't care. they act like the step child trying to get attention. do they even really know what they are so mad about? a terrorist like that is just a 40 year old having a temper tantrum like a 2 year old just to get attention.